GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Royals/Royal Weddings - do we need them?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 30/11/10 at 09:23
"possibly impossible"
With the announcement of the impending wedding of Kate and Prince William the country seems to have been made a little brighter in times of trouble.

Or at least that's what the press wants you to think. Does it, though, matter in this day and age whether a royal wedding is taking place? Is anyone that bothered by our Royal family any more?

The Case For
There certainly are plenty of people excited by a royal wedding. It does seem to be more of a soap opera style event though, a case of forgetting your own troubles for a fantasy wedding, the likes of which we haven't seen since Charles and Diana.

Companies who will benefit from merchandising must be happy too, plates, nick nacks and all sorts of anything that can have the likenesses of the Prince and his fiancée marked upon them will be being prepared for next year with the view of making money.

It will bring in visitors from other countries too, especially those royal-mad US citizens who will come over in their droves and hopefully bring some money into the country.

It may also mean that we have the option of another future King and Queen in addition to Charles and Camilla, a somewhat preferable one at that according to some.

The Case Against
Money. It will cost a fortune in a country that can barely afford to keep itself going at the moment. OK, so the Royal Family has publicly agreed to help out themselves, something unheard of in the past, but it will still be a drain.

Also, an official day off is going to have an effect on business. Many business are going to have to stay open and to do that they'll have to pay their staff more just to stay at work on a holiday, it's estimated to cost British business millions extra.

And do we really care about this couple? Aren't the royals outdated anyway?
Sat 30/04/11 at 08:22
Regular
"I like turtles"
Didn't watch any of the wedding whatsoever.I am seriously not in the least bit interested.I don't hate the Royals or wish them any harm I just really couldn't care less about them.They still eat,sleep and poop like the rest of us,they just do it with posh accents.
Sat 30/04/11 at 06:26
Regular
We should keep the royals. When people think of kings and queens they think of England not Thailand. Plus from seeing all the coverage and products here in Japan, they bring in far more money than they take out.

Im happy if William and Cathrine can come to Japan and represent the UK rather than David Cameron.

Oh and I had no idea his real name was Henry and not Harry.
Fri 29/04/11 at 22:37
"possibly impossible"
Spain is much more in touch with their royalty than the UK, Juan Carlos is a pretty good king though, alongside his wife, Sofia. Just unfortunate about his Ill health.

It's our Royals who seem to be more out of touch with society that causes some of the rift.
Fri 29/04/11 at 19:30
Regular
I agree with you in everything you say about the wedding.
however, I would like to add the last part of the whole of your thoughts.
Here, in Spain, (and in the rest of the world, of course), we were very upset after the death of Diana in 1997 and, today most of us were kept in front of the tv just to make sure William was really in love at the time he was looking at his bride´s eyes. I confess I was really delighted and deeply moved as soon as I detected the feeling.
So, my friend, congratulations to you all. Your future King is going to be a happy person , as happy as his mother was unhappy.
Fri 29/04/11 at 18:50
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hmmm... wrote:
Just to say I thoroughly enjoyed the Royal Wedding! :¬)

I wish the couple much happiness and the very best of luck.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Have to agree Hmmm....but have only just watched the 'highlights' .... stricken with a chest virus at the moment :¬(
Fri 29/04/11 at 17:46
"Are you sure?"
Just to say I thoroughly enjoyed the Royal Wedding! :¬)

I wish the couple much happiness and the very best of luck.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 28/04/11 at 18:22
Regular
"How Ironic"
Bigger question, do we need the Royal Family full stop?

*EDIT* Oh pb you sly dog, editing an old post :P
Thu 28/04/11 at 17:54
Regular
"Carpe Diem"
I honestly have a quite cynical opinion of it all. One one hand, the pomp and ceremony is good escapsim and great for the tourist/souvenir trade, but that's about it. Otherwise I find it all a bit pointless and way overblown by the media and papers.

I certinally will not be watching the thing, and just hope that the city centre is quiet because of it, seeing as I have no work due to it's "holiday" status (and I'm self employed so it's not like I was given the day off).

The only thing I sympathize with is Kate being thrown into Daily Mail coverage for decades to come. Other than that, I was fed up of hearing about it months ago.
Thu 28/04/11 at 17:46
Regular
"Dango Daikazoku"
I remember this post! Wow the time has gone by quickly...
Still unsure if we need royals/royal weddings. I'm interested in the events, but not enough to watch it.
Thu 02/12/10 at 13:50
Regular
There's capacity for both humour and intelligence with this modern man.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.