GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Royals/Royal Weddings - do we need them?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 30/11/10 at 09:23
"possibly impossible"
With the announcement of the impending wedding of Kate and Prince William the country seems to have been made a little brighter in times of trouble.

Or at least that's what the press wants you to think. Does it, though, matter in this day and age whether a royal wedding is taking place? Is anyone that bothered by our Royal family any more?

The Case For
There certainly are plenty of people excited by a royal wedding. It does seem to be more of a soap opera style event though, a case of forgetting your own troubles for a fantasy wedding, the likes of which we haven't seen since Charles and Diana.

Companies who will benefit from merchandising must be happy too, plates, nick nacks and all sorts of anything that can have the likenesses of the Prince and his fiancée marked upon them will be being prepared for next year with the view of making money.

It will bring in visitors from other countries too, especially those royal-mad US citizens who will come over in their droves and hopefully bring some money into the country.

It may also mean that we have the option of another future King and Queen in addition to Charles and Camilla, a somewhat preferable one at that according to some.

The Case Against
Money. It will cost a fortune in a country that can barely afford to keep itself going at the moment. OK, so the Royal Family has publicly agreed to help out themselves, something unheard of in the past, but it will still be a drain.

Also, an official day off is going to have an effect on business. Many business are going to have to stay open and to do that they'll have to pay their staff more just to stay at work on a holiday, it's estimated to cost British business millions extra.

And do we really care about this couple? Aren't the royals outdated anyway?
Thu 02/12/10 at 09:54
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
Alfonse wrote:
They lack the political power they once had. I think many would argue there is no place for a hereditary monarchy in a democratic society.

Personally, I feel the revenue from tourism is sufficient justification for a monarch, but I wouldn't say the royal family isn't outdated. The same way I visted St Lazare in Paris despite knowing the architecture was inferior to that of modern prisons.

This post is intelligent, insightful and bang 'on-the-money'.

Who are you and what have you done with Alfonse?
Thu 02/12/10 at 08:03
Regular
"How Ironic"
Nin wrote:
Sonic Chris wrote:
[i]Nin wrote:
[i]Sonic Chris wrote:

[i]That has no implication at all.

Of course it does. No-one ever says something is outdated in a good way.[/i]

I wasn't suggesting everything old is outdated though. I only said the royal family were outdated.[/i]

And I wasn't suggesting that's what you said that but "outdated" is a negative opinion of something, so for the 3rd time.

How are they outdated? And why is it a bad thing?[/i]

Well for a start, there's no such thing as royalty. There's nothing special about any of them, apart from the fact that there IQ's are going down the toilet due to the importance of 'royal blood'. In modern society, I can't think of the monarchy as anything but a farce.
Wed 01/12/10 at 23:56
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Sonic Chris wrote:
Nin wrote:
[i]Sonic Chris wrote:

I wasn't suggesting everything old is outdated though. I only said the royal family were outdated.[/i]

And I wasn't suggesting that's what you said that but "outdated" is a negative opinion of something, so for the 3rd time.

How are they outdated? And why is it a bad thing?
Wed 01/12/10 at 21:34
Regular
Nin wrote:
Sonic Chris wrote:
[i] I said the royals are outdated.

How exactly?

They lack the political power they once had. I think many would argue there is no place for a hereditary monarchy in a democratic society.

Personally, I feel the revenue from tourism is sufficient justification for a monarch, but I wouldn't say the royal family isn't outdated. The same way I visted St Lazare in Paris despite knowing the architecture was inferior to that of modern prisons.
Wed 01/12/10 at 19:53
Regular
"How Ironic"
Nin wrote:
Sonic Chris wrote:

I wasn't suggesting everything old is outdated though. I only said the royal family were outdated.
Wed 01/12/10 at 19:07
Regular
The Royals represent Britain rather than England I think you'll find :P

We're all covered by the Union Jack.

As for what I think of the Royals...I personally have no feeling for or against them.

My opinion is that they've lost their relevancy in terms of ruling the empire, but that's thanks to a democratic system.

However, they're good for the economy, most do their bit for charity and they're great for mocking on Have I Got News For You and Mock the Week :)
Wed 01/12/10 at 15:26
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Internet Explorer 6 is outdated. And that is damn good! But I get your point.
Wed 01/12/10 at 15:04
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Sonic Chris wrote:
I said the royals are outdated.

How exactly?

That has no implication at all.

Of course it does. No-one ever says something is outdated in a good way.
Wed 01/12/10 at 09:37
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
Dragonlance wrote:
Assuming that Freeola will be able to dispense of your admirable services on the day in question, eh Butch :¬)

They will have to, I'm working January 3rd so it wont be my 'turn' to work a Bank Holiday by then :)

Warhunt wrote:
The Royal family represent an English tradition, an institution. It's our roots.

Not too sure about this one. Tradition, yes. Institution, yes. Roots, not so much. My bloodlines will have more in common who you than them, with us both being English and all.

Like I said before, while I think the Monarchy is outdated and helps to re-enforce the British racial stereotype to those across the Atlantic, I'm not for getting rid of them. They bring in a load of money in the shape of tourism, our nation's Capital would be a less-green place without them and my grandparents wouldn't know when to have a sherry and go to sleep at Christmas.

I can, however, see a time in the not so distant future where our Monarch (Charles or William) will be reduced to a 'UK-only' role as the Commonwealth states each begin to further strive for 'independence'. Once this happens, I don't think they will last much longer.
Wed 01/12/10 at 07:58
Regular
"How Ironic"
Nin wrote:
Sonic Chris wrote:
[i]pb wrote:

[i]Aren't the royals outdated anyway?

Yes.[/i]

In what way are they outdated?

And

Are you implying that anything old has no value?[/i]

No. I said the royals are outdated. That has no implication at all. I don't believe they are anything special. Well, they are special in one sense of the word...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.