GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Freeola Email Outage"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 02/11/10 at 16:23
"Are you sure?"
Perhaps it was a mistake to start discussing email clients in the other thread!

Any update on the email outage please?
Is service likely to return before 5pm?

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 09/11/10 at 12:53
"Are you sure?"
Getting loads of errors at my end today :¬(

I've read the Status Page update saying this could happen but thought it was worth a mention in case Freeola thought all was well.

I can see others are looking as well so it's not just me...
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sun 07/11/10 at 12:56
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
We have our own procedures in place I assure you and are unlikely to digress in this circumstance, but thank you for the suggestions/advice. Always nice to have a customers view on things.

As I suggested, the issue was only brought to light (or in other words, occuring perhaps) because of the issue overall. Although how much was overload and how much was "overusing" customers we can not say for sure. A vicious cycle indeed.

The announcement was an adjustment of the original fault. It was placed up moments ago hence why you didn't notice it (although i'm sure you realised this ;)) We're happy with that.

We should try and draw a line under this now as we are happy with the service at this point now. We will leave the announcement up until we feel that the small percentage of customers affected still have had ample time to contact us/read it.
Sun 07/11/10 at 12:27
"Are you sure?"
Hi Warhunt,
I only noticed the "blocking some IP addresses" item on the Status page this morning. It says it was posted on the 5th so I'm not sure how I missed that?!

I don't believe I'm affected as things seem to have returned to normal for me.

I guess some users were checking more frequently this week as they were trying to receive their delayed email! A vicious circle.
Not everyone will be aware of the Status Page and this forum.

Re. the IP addresses.
As you know, Freeola ADSL customers will have static IP addresses and you would be able block them if they were causing problems. But some other users may be connecting via other providers - the majority of which no doubt will have dynamic IPs so won't stay blocked for long.
It would make sense to notify the users that you do block so they understand what's happened...

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sun 07/11/10 at 11:27
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Every 30 minutes to an hour really should not "break the bank" in my opinion but you are right that people would find this unacceptable. It doesn't mean that it's not valid, regardless of the date. (And to be fair I'm sure the majority of customers don't even connect that often).

It's a temporary measure at this point as well, as dealing with the large amounts of emails + customers "overchecking" added up to one of the more severe issues we have had.

Note: It's not even really an issue about the time intervals of when they check, but rather the total amount in a short space of time. We only really consider the users that had over 1000 attempted connections within the space of 6-8 hours an issue anyway. There really is no need to be checking it this frequently.

Again though, it only really come to light (on a major basis) due to the server load anyway.

And in relation to your suggestion, our team are already looking into the situation on a business level.
Sun 07/11/10 at 08:19
"Are you sure?"
I agree with you checking every minute is OTT, as I said.

But checking every hour as you mentioned earlier would also be unacceptable to a lot of customers I would think. An hourly service for our knackered village bus service doesn't go down well so people will definitely expect more from 21c electronic mail!

I'm afraid most people will expect their email to be pretty instant as that is how they are used to it being provided and the expected norm these days.

Perhaps if things are really starting to creak Freeola need to look at how your 'fun' Freeola500 email fits in with customers paid for registered domains?

If [email protected]/plonkers.com is impacting the service of paying customers perhaps this needs to be running on separate kit? You don't have to read many forums to find people who are using these disposable free email accounts in a less than responsible way!

Earlier in the year the free .info domain giveaway I'm sure also attracted some undesirable types (from what I've read) who wouldn't go on to respect the Freeola mail service in the same way as existing paying customers, something else to think about.

That's all from me, I'm off to enjoy my Freeola Broadband and other Freeola services that I'm always quick to recommend! :¬)
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sat 06/11/10 at 20:57
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
If you have 10 mail boxes you are checking every 60 seconds, that's 600 connections you make to the mail server. Multiply that by 100+ other users doing the same an combine with the 1000's connecting less regularly plus a large influx of mail and you get a slow down.
I know of other mail hosts who automatically suspend access for a certain period of time for mail clients that produce a high number of connection in a given period, I'm not sure our customers would welcome or understand this.

I still see no reason why checking for mail needs to be done every minute, surely that's what MSN/Facebook Chat/SMS/a telephone call is for? I check my mail every 10 minutes here and I get quite a bit coming in every day. I've yet to have someone complain that I haven't read or responded to an email 2 minutes after they sent it!
Sat 06/11/10 at 17:01
"Are you sure?"
Checking every minute is rather OTT but most providers (even the lesser ones) can manage to support 5 minutes or so!

In 1995 "checking every 30 minutes to an hour" might have been ok but things have moved on rather a bit since then :¬P

How has this been causing this weeks problems? I thought it was due to "high volumes of mail"?

NB. It's all beyond me, but I'm seeing mxf rather then mxes addressing starting from today. As I said it's beyond me and as long as it works I'm happy! ;¬)

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sat 06/11/10 at 16:32
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
The MXes are the same as far as I'm aware.
If you have your mail client setup to check your mailbox every minute of every hour every day then you might be affected (not a good idea, e-mail isn't meant to be an instant form of communication, some people don't understand this. Checking every 30 minutes to an hour should be sufficient).
Sat 06/11/10 at 15:11
"Are you sure?"
Thanks for the update.
Seems to be back to normal service today for me :¬)

Can you hint at who might be affected or what changes you've made in case some of my Freeola clients should be affected?

EDIT
Have the MX addresses been changed?
Hopefully just coincidence but I've notice some Freeola > Freeola email has been marked as 'junk' today. Too early to say if this 'for real' as it's mostly duplicated test emails!

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sat 06/11/10 at 13:49
Staff
"The Killer Techie"
A small update for you - the mail servers seem to have been fairly stable today, therefore the changes that we made, we believe, have at least had a positive affect on the situation. I would hate to say the problem is resolved at this point and be proven wrong, so I won't!

If for any reason you are still getting a connection error, please contact support via ticket or by telephone as a fairly small number of users may have been affected by the changes made.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.