GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Super Smash Bros Melee"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Super Smash Bros Melee'.
Sun 06/04/03 at 15:49
Regular
Yes, I know this game is quite old, And most of you people on this forum will of played this ages ago and moved onto your Metroid Prime's and what not, But I purchased this game yesturday, priced at £18.99 :D

And its pretty good, Quite frantic and fast paced, But good fun all around I guess. I'd just like to ask a few questions, as i'm interested.

Whos your favorite character to use?

Mines gotta be Kirby or Pikachu at the moment. Mainly Kirby because you can swallow enemys and use there powers! Kirbys a chubby little mucker aswell, But hes cool.

Whats your highest score on Home run?

Mines 32m. How crap.

Whats your overall opinion of the game?

Cheers.
Mon 07/04/03 at 10:46
Regular
I know, but Young Link is a bit of a weakling, especially when it comes to forwards smash attacks!

His fire arrow is alright, but it's not as powerful or as easy to hit with as Samus's charge beam and rockets are.

Young Link still isn't too bad though, just not quite up there with Samus.
Sun 06/04/03 at 23:23
Regular
Young Link can do all of that, his Hookshot can grab a hammer opponent as well as ledges, and it's also almost instant, not slow at all.

Plus his roll is much faster, but doesn't quite cover as much distance, and he can wall jump too.
Sun 06/04/03 at 22:49
Regular
Samus is my favourite character.

Best balance between speed and power.
Good at all distances, with quick forward and low smash attacks, two strong projectile attacks and damaging flame attacks (especially useful against the HP based giant hand).

Definately has the best roll (I think the roll was designed with Samus in mind!).

Her grapple is relatively slow, being the grapple beam, but despite being slower, this gives it range and can also be used to climb onto buildings.

All the moves are useful except for Down + B (I've not found a use for that bomb move yet).

The best thing though, is that she's the most stylish (Zelda coming a close second).

My overall opinion of the game?
The single player will get boring fairly quickly, but with the multiplayer, it ought to last for a long time, especially as there's no other games like it around.
Definately the best multiplayer game around.

I bought this game with the Cube and it's had more play time than any other.
It's also the only game that I got at launch and still play!

Other than the fact that every animation she has looks cool and every single one of her moves are flashy, she's also got some other neat tricks up her sleeve that can amaze and impress.

The grapple beam has several uses.
It's always a pain when an opponent grabs a hammer and becomes momentarily untouchable. It is, therefore, extremely satisfying to be able to grab with hammer weilding opponent with your long reaching grapple beam, and toss them off the edge with ease.

And because they're stuck thrashing the hammer, they can't jump back on! :-D

Also, press Z while jumping to launch it and have Samus hanging off the edge of any scenery it latches onto. After it latches on and you pull yourself up, you'll still have your second jump (if you haven't used it since you were last on the ground) and the third jump (being the screw attack).

Mess around with it on the UFO level. It looks fantastic.

Talking of the UFO level, next time you fall between two skyscrapers, use your double jump to jump into one, hold the analogue stick towards it and then flick it in the other direction.
Samus will kick herself off the wall, gaining a little height.
Do this from wall to wall and you'll eventually get back to the top.

My friend stared in disbelief when I pulled this off the other day, just when he thought he had a certain point! ;-)
Sun 06/04/03 at 21:45
Regular
Maverick42 wrote:
> Orr.. something about 470m I think.

With Ganondorf.
Sun 06/04/03 at 21:41
Regular
gamezfreak wrote:
> Whos your favorite character to use?

Young Link - he's speedy, and I've always loved Zelda games. His attacks are also really imaginative.

Mewtwo and Captain Falcon are also really cool.

> Whats your highest score on Home run?

Orr.. something about 470m I think.

> Whats your overall opinion of the game?

Excellent, it's a brilliant little beat 'em up. 9/10, I reckon.
Sun 06/04/03 at 20:56
Regular
Hmmm, Just got 247m with Fox.

Still crap, but better then my last attempt!
Sun 06/04/03 at 20:51
Regular
"A Ghost Of You"
Cheers for the tip Tony_Blair, but now that I feel like I wasted 48 Hours of my life, I think I'll get back to my own discussion.
Sun 06/04/03 at 20:45
Regular
I don't really like this game. It's good in Multiplayer.

That's about it, really..
Sun 06/04/03 at 20:41
Regular
"poo poo for you!"
"My top score is 201m with Yoshi (It took me a whole weekend to master to technique) "

try a short jump then V (down) + A. this will be the flutter kick.
I got 500m odd doing this.

Now Mewtwo is very awkward he has a very steep learning curve and his moves lack range, power and combo ability. The only thing which i might pride mewtwo in is his jump and his teleport but his light physics makes him as weird as jiggly and kirby.
If anyone thinks its worth it practise with luigi, fantastic priority, great hang time (= more hits) and he can wave dash like crazy.

(anyone wanting to know about wavedashing ask me caus i cant be arsed to explain it right now)
Sun 06/04/03 at 20:28
Regular
"gsybe you!"
¬_¬

Errr...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.