GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Best beginning sequence in a film?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 22/11/01 at 15:43
Regular
I think Blade is the Daddy on this subject, What an opening, it made me want to be a vampire.

(I haven't got the immortal bit quite right yet, but I am drinking two pints of Iranian monkey blood a day)

Anyway, what is the best opening sequence in a film?, lets have a heated debate.
Thu 22/11/01 at 22:18
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
For pure action though, it has to be The Rock.

A full half hour of non stop action, shooting and car chases. Oh and gas...and darts...and punches...and people hanging from balconies by a string....and let's not forget the fat American black dude who drives the tram....and "I'm only borrowing your Humvie"....and the yellow farrari....I could go on all day....but I won't. :-D
Thu 22/11/01 at 22:24
The_Vottanator wrote:
> For pure action though, it has to be The Rock.

A full half hour of non stop
> action, shooting and car chases. Oh and gas...and darts...and punches...and
> people hanging from balconies by a string....and let's not forget the fat
> American black dude who drives the tram....and "I'm only borrowing your
> Humvie"....and the yellow farrari....I could go on all day....but I won't.
> :-D

I agree, the beginning to The Rock is brilliant. Non-stop action.
Thu 22/11/01 at 22:29
For those who have not seen, Apocalypse Now has the most serence, beautifully shot opening ever. And tomorrow it's out in the cinema, the fully extended version!

So what makes a good opening? I have no idea, all i know is that it must be daring, original and memory worthy. How many films have we seen and not remembered how they begun. I present to you a few beginnings that haunt my soul.

As far as introductions go i am a big fan of Fight Clubs journey through the brain and the eerie opening of Seven (the cutting bit). Openings must be a strong part of the film, it must grab the audiences attention and stand out from the bog standard film. Spielbergs films tend to feature and strong opening and often loses its plot. Now Tarantino, his conversations are absoloutely unique, the dialogue in Dogs and Fiction rise above the films of today and hence we have a very vivid picture. Another amazing beginning is that of 'Boogie Nights', the single shot tracking of many of the films characters is superb. Another one of my favourites is the excellent 'Amores Perros', the opening is simply spectacular, i urge you to see this film (cue music,she's got the urge to herbal).
And the begining of Crouching Tiger! From seeing that no way does it look like a martial arts extravaganza, from all that talking it may well have been romantic film, but it did redeem itself later on. Oh well, i guess i have proved my own theory wrong, i guess there are exceptions.

I have realised the films i have stated serve two main purposes, to entertain and to establish characters. Great,now i can go make a movie....
Thu 22/11/01 at 22:32
Regular
Another good beggining sequence is Reservoir Dogs

"whad'ya mean you don't leave tips?"

Hell most films with anything to do with Quentin Tarentino have got good starts, another one is From Dusk TIll Dawn, that's got a wicked start.

"he shot me in the fu..... hand, look I can see right through it"

classic
Thu 22/11/01 at 22:34
Regular
Oh just thought of another film with Tarentino in it that's got a damn good start, Desperado.
Thu 22/11/01 at 22:39
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Saving Private Ryan's intro is pretty quality.
Thu 22/11/01 at 22:41
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
The first big stunt in Jackie Chan's Police Story is an amazing beginning to a film.
Jackie is a cop at a failed stake-out, and the criminals attempt to flea in their cars down a mountain village.
Jackie gives chase in another car, and it's chaos as cars, wooden buildings, fruit and people fly everywhere.(4 stutmen were hurt filming it)
At the bottom of the village, the criminals hijack a bus and speed away. Jackie, now without the use of his trashed car, grabs onto the bus with an umbrella, lifting his body up to avoid oncoming traffic.
Jackie eventually gets thrown from the bus, only then he runs down a very steep slope to cut off the bus later down the road.
He stops infront of the busses path, halts an oncoming car, which stops inches from Jackie, he pulls out his gun, and shoots the bus windscreen, causing it to screech to a halt, again inches from Jackie, and all the criminals fly out the window. Jackie gets his man.
Sheer class.
Fri 23/11/01 at 11:13
Regular
"I love Dave music"
Romeo Must Die has a pretty good opening sequence, loads of martial arts from the start:
"I guess I could use a work out"!

Matrix is good too, and I really like the first scene in Grosse Point Blank (if you haven't seen this film, you should order it now, and do nothing until it arrives at your door and you have watched it!)
Fri 23/11/01 at 11:15
Regular
"Luck from Heaven"
The new Bond film.
Fri 23/11/01 at 12:07
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
uksgamer2002 wrote:
> The new Bond film.

All the bond films have pretty cool beginnings.
I like the A View To A Kill beginning, with Bond evading skiing minions, inventing snowboarding along the way (with cool music), seeing an obviously radio controlled helecopter crash into a mountain, then escaping in his iceberg/submarine (with token 007 babe for company).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.