GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Time Travel"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 11/08/10 at 20:08
Regular
"Zebra Three 537-ONN"
Mmmm, if time travel was possible, wouldn't we already know how to do it? If it ever became possible, surely someone would have already came back and given us the solution? After all of the tradgedies and wars of this world, surely someone would have felt compelled to do something to prevent these things? Just a thought....
Fri 13/08/10 at 13:10
Regular
"Zebra Three 537-ONN"
dean5 wrote:
> I doubt that it will ever be possible to travel back in time (not
> that I would know) however Albert Einstein seems to think (or
> maybe have proven) that your speed of motion and gravitational
> potential effect the relative speed that time travels for you.
>
> http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/time/think.html

Have had a chance to visit that link now, very interesting. According to the theories spoken about on that site, it could potentially be possible to travel in time once humans discover how to travel at the speed of light or faster. But using the methods they describe it would only be possible to travel into the future, backwards time travel does seem impossible using their theory, which is maybe why, if it has been invented in the future, it's just not possible to send someone or something (like notes) back to us for info.
Fri 13/08/10 at 08:22
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Sonic Chris wrote:
> Trciky thing though. If we made a teleporter to travel back in
> time and sent someone back, how would they return to the
> 'present'? And it wouldn't be the present anymore, it would be
> their future and our present.

*head explodes with the complexity of this situation*

Best way to think of time is as a dimension. Just like you can move left, right, up, down, backwards and forwards, we also have the forward travel of time.

Also take the example of the a film reel on a camcorder. Each picture is taken in the same space, but at a slightly different time. You are capturing that time on film.

Who knows what this universe uis actually made of - but we are imprinting ourself on it during time. Perhaps there is a way to cut a loop in the film reel of time and go back on itself. The way there could be two of ourselves could be just like a double exposure.

Definitiely a deep topic this!
Thu 12/08/10 at 14:51
Regular
"How Ironic"
Trciky thing though. If we made a teleporter to travel back in time and sent someone back, how would they return to the 'present'? And it wouldn't be the present anymore, it would be their future and our present.

Back to the Future annoys me alot, I know it's a classic, I love the film, but it doesn't work. As soon as somebody travels back in time, you'd alter the entire span of time. You could argue that the time span includes somebody travelling back in time, therefore it doesn't alter, but surely if that was the case, we'd have scriptures telling of a time travelling person....You know what I'm getting at.
Thu 12/08/10 at 13:18
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
I think if I were the one to go back in time, I would probably keep it away from the US (and possibly the UK). May just keep it a secret to be sure.

I'd like to be able to use it to enact hindsight, however. Although how the resulting paradoxes would turn out, I'm not sure if it would be a wise!
Thu 12/08/10 at 12:38
Regular
"Zebra Three 537-ONN"
HM wrote:
> I suppose that may throw up a few paradoxes though, or perhaps
> we have gone back to the past/present day and forwarded the
> knowledge onto the government.

I've actually considered this as well, but if that is in actual fact true, then I would imagine the Americans must be in charge of time travel in future, what with them probably being the biggest superpower in the world. Imagine the American government and the C.I.A in charge of something like that......not good for the rest of us.
Thu 12/08/10 at 08:59
"possibly impossible"
Current scientific theory is disproved all the time, hence it being theory. Science is basically an evolving collection of theories with a few things we accept as fact, such as gravity. With increasing technological advancements we learn more about the universe and the world around us and this brings us new advances in science, so nothing is ever impossible forever, just impossible for now.

Time as a measurement is an abstract form, this is true, but it's a human measurement of a physical phenomenon which is used in scientific calculations. We still don't understand enough about time and how the universe works to assume that we could go 'back in time' though.
Thu 12/08/10 at 08:41
Staff Moderator
"Mr Dean"
I doubt that it will ever be possible to travel back in time (not that I would know) however Albert Einstein seems to think (or maybe have proven) that your speed of motion and gravitational potential effect the relative speed that time travels for you.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/time/think.html
Thu 12/08/10 at 08:05
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
How interesting...I was thinking about time machines on the way to work and how it could be done. And yes, I was thinking about if time travel did exist, we probably would try and pass the knowledge onto ourselves in the past.

I suppose that may throw up a few paradoxes though, or perhaps we have gone back to the past/present day and forwarded the knowledge onto the government. or, maybe we have in the future discovered time travel but the time traveller hasn't come back this far in time to give us the details.

I'm half with Chris saying that time is an invention of man, but at the same time against it. Time is relative. Physics shows time must exist as well as matter and electromagnetic waves - for instance, the speed of light would be useless without time (in fact speed would be useless).

With stephen Hawking publically announcing time travel was possible a few months ago, I'm going to sway that it will be possible one day. And when it is...I want to be the first in line to go back!
Thu 12/08/10 at 03:45
Regular
"How Ironic"
I don't believe in time travel at all. I don't like these claims that by travelling into space and spending a day up there, you can come back to earth and it'll be 5 days later or something stupid. Time is time. It's man made (in terms on calculating it). You can't skip to the future, you can't go to the past. And even if you did go to the future or to the past, it then becomes the present, so it's completely irrelevant to travel backwards or forwards, because you'll always be in your present time.
Wed 11/08/10 at 22:46
Regular
"Tempus Fugit"
TattooedGamer wrote:
> Mmmm, if time travel was possible, wouldn't we already know how
> to do it? If it ever became possible, surely someone would have
> already came back and given us the solution? After all of the
> tradgedies and wars of this world, surely someone would have felt
> compelled to do something to prevent these things? Just a
> thought....

I can see your perspective, but consider, each war that has happened has led to new technological advances (WW2 and the computer) which have found their way into the civilian domain. Natural disasters, the more of them that happen lead to better predictions and ways to prevent or negate the damage in the future.

More points:

We haven't even landed people on a different planet yet how could it be judged that we have achieved a certain degree of technological advancement to have created time travel.

Surely you would hope that in the future if we have invented time travel then it is properly regulated and in the hands of the right people.

If you have ever happened upon the premise of the game 'Red Alert' you will know that Albert Einstein 'deletes' Adolf Hitler from history therefore ensuring the 3rd Reich never exists. This in turn means the Soviet Union is allowed to grow unchallenged and instead they are at war with the allies.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.