GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Time Travel"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 11/08/10 at 20:08
Regular
"Zebra Three 537-ONN"
Mmmm, if time travel was possible, wouldn't we already know how to do it? If it ever became possible, surely someone would have already came back and given us the solution? After all of the tradgedies and wars of this world, surely someone would have felt compelled to do something to prevent these things? Just a thought....
Sun 15/08/10 at 16:36
Regular
"How Ironic"
It's only time travel in terms of our own measuring of time. We initally used the sun and moon positions to figure out time. Any differences in distance from either sun or moon, or earth for that matter, and you won't be able to properly use our own time scale in reference. So what may seem like 5 space years, is actually 10 earth years. They're exactly the same amount of time, but due to the distance between all the different parties (the twins, sun, moon, earth) when calculated in each place, the time seems different. If you took a sort of 'life' stop watch, and sent one twin into space, and the other left on earth, started them the exact time, took off for 5 years and came back, they're going to be exactly the same no matter where the space twin had gone.
Sun 15/08/10 at 11:53
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Time travel of sort has already been proven in "The paradox of the twins".

The theory stated that if there were two identical twins and one is sent in a spaceship at the speed of light for 10 years, when they return to Earth they wil have only aged 5 years as opposed to 10 for the twin on Earth.

A few years ago two atomic clocks were sent into space for a period of time and circled the Earth as fast as possible, and when they were brought back and compared to two atomic clocks back on Earth they had slowed down by a significant amount of time, which even though this was only a fraction of a second, as atomic clocks lose about 1 second every billion years this proved that time had passed slower on the spaceship than on Earth.

While it isn't time travel where you can go back or forward to a period in time like in the Back To The Future movies it proved that time isn't constant for objects in different environments.

Click here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_paradox
Sun 15/08/10 at 10:16
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
Sonic Chris wrote:
> I don't believe in time travel at all. I don't like these claims
> that by travelling into space and spending a day up there, you
> can come back to earth and it'll be 5 days later or something
> stupid.

Regardless of whether you 'like it' or not, it's physics, it is the way of things. Because you will be travelling faster than the speed of light what would seem like a week to you could be a couple of months to everyone else due to time being relative, but this isn't really the place to discuss such things.

I firmly believe a form of time-travel will be possible one day, but only forwards thanks to the reasons intimated above. However, there is another paradoxical school of thought that suggests we haven't 'seen' any people travelling back in time from a future date yet because we would need to have created the technology first in order to accept them.

Even if travelling backwards in time was possible (assuming everyone has access to a flux capacitor) it would need to be heavily policed and moderated to prevent people changing the future for their own gain or causing any number of different paradoxes during their time in the past (The Grandfather Paradox is one of the more well-known).

Needless to say, I highly doubt any of us will live long enough to see such a time.
Fri 13/08/10 at 15:35
Regular
"How Ironic"
It's a quotation from myself ;)
Fri 13/08/10 at 14:59
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Sonic Chris wrote:
> My personal definition of the future is a time which hasn't
> happened, that isn't predictable, and is not accessible until it
> becomes present.

Sounds like a "quotation" rather than a personal 'opinion' :¬)
Fri 13/08/10 at 14:33
Regular
"How Ironic"
My personal definition of the future is a time which hasn't happened, that isn't predictable, and is not accessible until it becomes present.
Fri 13/08/10 at 14:06
Regular
"Zebra Three 537-ONN"
Sonic Chris wrote:
> You can't travel to the future. As soon as you reach the future,
> it becomes the present.

Yes but to come into the new present you will have had to start in the past, and then travel into the future to get to your new present. So therefore you have travelled into the future to get to your new present. So although you will always be in the present you will still have had to travel in time to get there.
Fri 13/08/10 at 13:56
Regular
"Zebra Three 537-ONN"
There are a few ways to think about it really, which could make your head explode.

If it's not possible to travel backwards through time then it is probably safer in the long run, as it would be impossible change the timeline by interfering with the past. But if this is true then theories of 'parrallel dimensions' could then be questioned even more.

I think if parrallel dimensions do exist, that they are caused by important life changing decisions that someone makes. So say you had the opportunity to move to America, if you do it then that is your timeline, but say you didn't your timeline would evolve around you staying here, therefore there could be two possible timelines created out of that decision. But something like this would have to be accomplished by using some sort of time travel to come back and change the desicion you made in the first place to create the other timeline. This would split the time line in two creating your parrallel dimension.

So if backwards time travel is impossible, then does that mean parrallel dimensions just simply couldn't possibly exist?

However if it's only proven that humans can travel into the future then surely that must be safer for everyone, sort of like the universes safety net to prevent itself from being completely messed up by hundreds of alternate timelines being created. If too many were created it could possibly create a tear in time which would just destroy everything.

But I understand that there would be complications caused by forward time travel too. Lets say the leader of a country may wish more control in the world, at the present time he may not have the sort of weapons stockpile required to do such a thing, but if he sets a plan in motion and travelled into the future he may then have the ability to start another war.

There's a LOT to think about when you really start considering the possibilities of time travel.
Fri 13/08/10 at 13:44
Regular
"How Ironic"
You can't travel to the future. As soon as you reach the future, it becomes the present.
Fri 13/08/10 at 13:15
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
But doesn't that throw up the problem of being in the future before anyone or anything is there? Or is everything that has been and ever will be set on a set path?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.