GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"You thoughts on 'Game Of The Year 2010?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 24/07/10 at 13:00
"Life's a conspiracy"
Which game do you think will get it, heres my choices:

Mafia 2
Bad company 2
Alan Wake
Red Dead Redemption
Assassins Creed Brotherhood
Black Ops

Anyone got any Idea's?
Mon 26/07/10 at 11:02
"possibly impossible"
Happy to defend the Wii, it may not be everyone's cup of tea but it's created new ideas, new IPs and lifted gaming from the slump it was in before.

THere are some classic titles, Resi worked better on Wii than any other console, De Blob was inspired, nearly all games from nintendo themselves are classics and some of those 'casual' games are far more fun that some of the more po-faced stuff on the other consoles that end up just being another conveyor belt FPS.

Yes, there are loads of classic games on the PS3 and 360, I own a fair few of them! But the Wii cannot be discarded just because of the graphics and saying it has no proper games is just following those fanboys who use this an excuse without so much as a look at what games the console actually has, let alone playing them. They're probably just basing their argument on a trip to their parents/friends/relatives who have a Wii and no mainstream games, which is the same as going to someone's house when they have a PS3 as a blu-ray player and complaining that the PS3 has no games.
Mon 26/07/10 at 10:35
Regular
Sonic Chris wrote:
> The reason why the Wii is monopolised by cartoon style games is
> because of the consoles limitations. My argument is that the best
> possible game that could be made graphically on the Wii is
> nothing on the average Xbox or Playstation game. Therefore the
> standards graphically on the Wii are alot lower, and therefore
> easier to achieve. It would be impossible to make a Xbox/PS game
> on the Wii with the same graphical standard.

That may be so, but wii games have to include motion controls which are far harder to map and implement well in order to get that elusive '10'. That kinda evens out the playing field.
Mon 26/07/10 at 02:01
Regular
"How Ironic"
Grandprix wrote:
> It tends to be the games produced by Nintendo, like Mario Kart,
> New Super Mario Bros Wii and Mario Galaxy 2 to name a few, that
> tend to do well in the review scores because Nintendo generally
> know how to produce a quality product.

An italian plumber and motion capture, who would've thought it'd be a winning formula :P
Mon 26/07/10 at 00:19
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
But then you could say that companies that develop on Xbox and Playstation are shortchanging the consumer by producing sequels and reusing the majority of the work from the previous game. EA do it a lot with their sport games like FIFA.

I'm not going to sit here and defend the Wii though. It may very well be easier to produce a game on the Wii and that should make the game better to play because they have more time to develop that side. However, a lot of companies have gotten lazy and produced a lot of minigame collections and dull party games, just because they know there are a bunch of people out there with Wiis and the chance of making a profit is decent.

It tends to be the games produced by Nintendo, like Mario Kart, New Super Mario Bros Wii and Mario Galaxy 2 to name a few, that tend to do well in the review scores because Nintendo generally know how to produce a quality product.

Microsoft and Sony have seen the Wiis popularity and want a piece. It is only natural. The Wii has gotten people that don't usually game into gaming. The drawback will be that you will see a whole bunch of minigame games and party games on the Kinect and PS Move in the hopes of drawing some of the Wii crowd to the Xbox and Playstation.

And don't get me started on 3D.
Sun 25/07/10 at 23:46
Regular
"How Ironic"
I'm not a fan of the Wii. The games look bad and play bad IMO. I haven't said that Wii games shouldn't win game of the year, or a game has to look good to be good, I'm simply saying the Xbox and Playstation have a far greater challenge in terms of graphics, due to the Wii having a bigger limitations (ie. mostly cartoon characters).

But the Wii doesn't make sense to me anyway. I still don't get this idea of playing tennis in a living room. There is a place called outside where you can play tennis with real people, why mimic the excercise if you can do it in real life? You either sit down with a controller and get fat or do the sports in real life. You can't have both worlds.

While I'm on a rant, the Xbox is just as bad with Natal. Look at the E3 demo from last year, encouraging people to 'interact' with a virtual character? That can't be good for developing social skills... we'll have a world full of reclusive dorks in the future if Microsoft have their way.

Rant Over.
Sun 25/07/10 at 19:56
"Life's a conspiracy"
Im not a fan of the wii at all
Sun 25/07/10 at 19:22
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
You are implying then that high end Xbox/PS graphics = game of the year over any Wii game regardless of how it plays. I'd rather have a game that looks like mud but plays fantastic as game of the year rather than a great looking game that plays like mud.
Sun 25/07/10 at 19:08
Regular
"How Ironic"
The reason why the Wii is monopolised by cartoon style games is because of the consoles limitations. My argument is that the best possible game that could be made graphically on the Wii is nothing on the average Xbox or Playstation game. Therefore the standards graphically on the Wii are alot lower, and therefore easier to achieve. It would be impossible to make a Xbox/PS game on the Wii with the same graphical standard.
Sun 25/07/10 at 16:50
Regular
Sonic Chris wrote:
> By my reckoning, it's alot harder to score 10 on an Xbox or
> Playstation than a Wii. The Wii has a much lower limit, with
> cartoon style characters and simple gameplay being pretty much
> standard for the console. Games for the Xbox and PS3 have to be
> something spectacular to achieve 10/10.

You don't see many 10s on Xbox or Playstation because the games are all conveyor belt brown and bloom trash, pumped out yearly for the waiting consumer.

I'm pretty sure that if Super Mario Galaxy 2 had been developed on Xbox 360, making the most of that hardware, it would have gotten similar scores.

Anyway your argument confuses me, if all the games on wii feature cartoon graphics and simple gameplay, surely that would make it hard to achieve a ten.

Galaxy 2 got 10s because it is pretty much the pinnacle of platforming.I have yet to see the pinnacle of anything on the other two consoles.
Sun 25/07/10 at 16:12
"Life's a conspiracy"
I must say singularity was one hell of a game! I loved every second, so I hope it gets something.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.