GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Jak and Daxter"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 19/11/01 at 17:35
Regular
I must say, I like the look of this game. To a die hard Nintie, it seems to have all the qualities of a great adventure game. Actually, I don't know what to call it really. There's puzzle solving from the action genre, a great storyline from the adventure scene, and a great array of levels which frankly seems unmatched on any platform.

The colours and graphical effects in the game are something else... I don't know if you've seen a the 'clip', but from what I can tell, the draw distace is amazing... and I though Banjo Tooie's levels were big! The areas in the game are huge! You can even see other fully-polygonal islands when standing on the beach of another.

I don't quite know how Naughy Dog have done it, but from a graphical standpoint the game looks perfect. It runs, according to IGN, at 60fps right through... and that, along with the "superb and marvellously done" camera work seem to have sealed the games graphical score at what? a 10?! I think so!

The music sounds quite good aswell... unlike the lumbering 'samey' tunes of prevous PSX adventure titles, the scores seem very accurate, adding to the sense of adventure.

Loads of people have said that gameplay-wise, it's just a spruced up, smoother Crash Bandicoot, but from what I can tell, it isn't... well, it's different enough to be it's own game. The thing is, with developers, they seem to have a certain control style they stick to.

Look at Rare, bless them, they've used the same textures in BT as they did in Conker, the control is almost identical... i'm not knocking them, I love Rare games, they're mad, but I'm just saying, seeing as CB and J and D are from the same developer, the 'similar look' idea isn't so uncommon. And plus, if you're enjoying the game and you loved Crash, what's the matter?!

I don't usually get excited about PS2 games... for me, a die-soft nintnie, the PS2 is a mere gap-filler, but i've come to realise that it is quite a decent platform... as with any console, you have to pick and mix the games that suit you... Jak and Daxter, for me, seems perfect.

I've never been a big fan of racing games, as I remembered after playing Burnout, so a lot of the PS2 titles don't 'fit' as it were, but as long as games like this keep coming i'm sure i'll be fine! - At least until my GameCube comes.... :D

Still, Jak and Daxter does look very good. I know looks aren't everything, but from the sound of things, it could be one of the best games around over Christmas!

Comments?

Game
Mon 19/11/01 at 20:46
Regular
this game will rock but it will it 9/10 it could get 10/10 because its Sonys new mascots
Mon 19/11/01 at 20:44
Bonus wrote:
> Free Roaming Crash game?? (quote PSM2)

No thanks...

This is not a free roaming crash game, it's not like crash apart from the spin attack thing Jak does. This game will be huge the levels are huge with drop dead gorgeous gfx, there are plenty nof mini games to play even going between the huge islands of the games involves a mini game like when u use Keiras z-GraV zoomer to get over the molten lava to the next island.Plus u get a witty sometimes sarcastic sidekick.

This game will rock and i predict will be the first to get 10/10 in the OPSM2
Mon 19/11/01 at 20:41
"High polygon count"
Praise?

For a PS2 game?

From The Game?

*Faints*
Mon 19/11/01 at 20:38
Well that was obvious i could of told you that
Mon 19/11/01 at 20:34
Regular
of course or else i wouldnt like it
Mon 19/11/01 at 20:29
Sounds quite good but will it have better graphics than the sonic game on the dreamcast.
Mon 19/11/01 at 20:26
Regular
its a platformer like sonic but no loading screens at all
Mon 19/11/01 at 20:25
Wot kind of a game is Jak and Daxter
Mon 19/11/01 at 20:24
obviously the thread title didn't give it away for you
Mon 19/11/01 at 20:23
Regular
Nik_96 wrote:
> Wot game are you lot on about
read the title it might help you

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.