GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Jak and Daxter"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 19/11/01 at 17:35
Regular
I must say, I like the look of this game. To a die hard Nintie, it seems to have all the qualities of a great adventure game. Actually, I don't know what to call it really. There's puzzle solving from the action genre, a great storyline from the adventure scene, and a great array of levels which frankly seems unmatched on any platform.

The colours and graphical effects in the game are something else... I don't know if you've seen a the 'clip', but from what I can tell, the draw distace is amazing... and I though Banjo Tooie's levels were big! The areas in the game are huge! You can even see other fully-polygonal islands when standing on the beach of another.

I don't quite know how Naughy Dog have done it, but from a graphical standpoint the game looks perfect. It runs, according to IGN, at 60fps right through... and that, along with the "superb and marvellously done" camera work seem to have sealed the games graphical score at what? a 10?! I think so!

The music sounds quite good aswell... unlike the lumbering 'samey' tunes of prevous PSX adventure titles, the scores seem very accurate, adding to the sense of adventure.

Loads of people have said that gameplay-wise, it's just a spruced up, smoother Crash Bandicoot, but from what I can tell, it isn't... well, it's different enough to be it's own game. The thing is, with developers, they seem to have a certain control style they stick to.

Look at Rare, bless them, they've used the same textures in BT as they did in Conker, the control is almost identical... i'm not knocking them, I love Rare games, they're mad, but I'm just saying, seeing as CB and J and D are from the same developer, the 'similar look' idea isn't so uncommon. And plus, if you're enjoying the game and you loved Crash, what's the matter?!

I don't usually get excited about PS2 games... for me, a die-soft nintnie, the PS2 is a mere gap-filler, but i've come to realise that it is quite a decent platform... as with any console, you have to pick and mix the games that suit you... Jak and Daxter, for me, seems perfect.

I've never been a big fan of racing games, as I remembered after playing Burnout, so a lot of the PS2 titles don't 'fit' as it were, but as long as games like this keep coming i'm sure i'll be fine! - At least until my GameCube comes.... :D

Still, Jak and Daxter does look very good. I know looks aren't everything, but from the sound of things, it could be one of the best games around over Christmas!

Comments?

Game
Tue 20/11/01 at 18:49
Kid Rock wrote:
> big_slow wrote:
> i dont have alot of knowledge about this game but its
> supposed to beat crash
> bandicoot 5.

LOL thats like saying Metal Gear
> Solid 2 is meant to beat X-Squad

it is! x-squad is a bit crap. hold on your taking the mickey out of me. i hate u.
Tue 20/11/01 at 18:45
Regular
big_slow wrote:
> i dont have alot of knowledge about this game but its supposed to beat crash
> bandicoot 5.

LOL thats like saying Metal Gear Solid 2 is meant to beat X-Squad
Tue 20/11/01 at 18:21
i dont have alot of knowledge about this game but its supposed to beat crash bandicoot 5.
Tue 20/11/01 at 18:19
Regular
"Evil Ryu"
Well, in that case, if you feel like buying this game then may I suggest you stop by my review if it’s okay please? But not because I want to win GAD - don't get me wrong though, I do and that's one of my best reviews ever, alongside Devil May Cry which I made only yesterday. Anyway...check it out...I am sure you will get to grips with it a little more and by then, you will definitely want to buy it without hesitation.
Tue 20/11/01 at 13:15
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Yeah, I'm thinking about it too... It's good and all, but it doesnt feel dead on anymore like it used to
Tue 20/11/01 at 13:12
Regular
Slaveunit wrote:
> OPSM2 said it was the best thing since sliced bread, but PSM2 said that it was
> really nice but it's not the major leap they were hoping for.

I'm getting
> worried PSM2 are losing their heads....
i stopped getting PSM2
Tue 20/11/01 at 13:10
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
OPSM2 said it was the best thing since sliced bread, but PSM2 said that it was really nice but it's not the major leap they were hoping for.

I'm getting worried PSM2 are losing their heads....
Tue 20/11/01 at 10:34
Regular
cool i cant wait for this game now it is nearly out
Mon 19/11/01 at 21:45
Regular
"Whatever!"
Thats what I like about this game - The freedom to go anywhere and do anything you like!! Should be a classic!!
Mon 19/11/01 at 21:06
Regular
"You Bum!!"
This game is certainly a step forward in terms of platform game. Its made in glorius 3D and if you have seen any of the recent PSM2 or PSW DVD's you will see what I am talking about. Even if you are at the very top of the level, you can still see for miles around and there is almost no pop-up whatsoever.
No loading times means that we will be less frustrated when playing the game. And admit it loading on some games (Oni, Red Faction step up please) is very annoying and just like you said KR it may even spoil otherwise excellent games.
Different challenges in the game also add to the longevity of the game. When you walk around the world, you may meet creatures who may need your help in retrieving some object and in return they will provide you with items that are essential if you want to progress further in the game. Mini-games such as a Fish-Catching game are very addictive as it seems and they will also keep people busy for a while.

So I think that this game is going to really good and while Crash Bandicoot:The Wrath of Cortex restricts you to a certain route, J&D lets you go anywhere you want (even though you still have to do things in a certain order.eg get to point B before you can progress to Point C)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.