GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Jak and Daxter"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 19/11/01 at 17:35
Regular
I must say, I like the look of this game. To a die hard Nintie, it seems to have all the qualities of a great adventure game. Actually, I don't know what to call it really. There's puzzle solving from the action genre, a great storyline from the adventure scene, and a great array of levels which frankly seems unmatched on any platform.

The colours and graphical effects in the game are something else... I don't know if you've seen a the 'clip', but from what I can tell, the draw distace is amazing... and I though Banjo Tooie's levels were big! The areas in the game are huge! You can even see other fully-polygonal islands when standing on the beach of another.

I don't quite know how Naughy Dog have done it, but from a graphical standpoint the game looks perfect. It runs, according to IGN, at 60fps right through... and that, along with the "superb and marvellously done" camera work seem to have sealed the games graphical score at what? a 10?! I think so!

The music sounds quite good aswell... unlike the lumbering 'samey' tunes of prevous PSX adventure titles, the scores seem very accurate, adding to the sense of adventure.

Loads of people have said that gameplay-wise, it's just a spruced up, smoother Crash Bandicoot, but from what I can tell, it isn't... well, it's different enough to be it's own game. The thing is, with developers, they seem to have a certain control style they stick to.

Look at Rare, bless them, they've used the same textures in BT as they did in Conker, the control is almost identical... i'm not knocking them, I love Rare games, they're mad, but I'm just saying, seeing as CB and J and D are from the same developer, the 'similar look' idea isn't so uncommon. And plus, if you're enjoying the game and you loved Crash, what's the matter?!

I don't usually get excited about PS2 games... for me, a die-soft nintnie, the PS2 is a mere gap-filler, but i've come to realise that it is quite a decent platform... as with any console, you have to pick and mix the games that suit you... Jak and Daxter, for me, seems perfect.

I've never been a big fan of racing games, as I remembered after playing Burnout, so a lot of the PS2 titles don't 'fit' as it were, but as long as games like this keep coming i'm sure i'll be fine! - At least until my GameCube comes.... :D

Still, Jak and Daxter does look very good. I know looks aren't everything, but from the sound of things, it could be one of the best games around over Christmas!

Comments?

Game
Wed 21/11/01 at 18:20
Regular
still ant wait for this game CHRISTMAS COME QUICK!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wed 21/11/01 at 13:58
Regular
"accidental superher"
psm2 and opsm are the best magazines for the ps2 in my opnion...

psw has a nice dvd but the magazine in my opnion sux....they try to be witty and fail miserably..
Wed 21/11/01 at 13:21
Neither do i cause i don't read it in the first place lol
Wed 21/11/01 at 12:35
Regular
i dont read Psm2 any more
Wed 21/11/01 at 11:39
Regular
"Touched!"
Jak and daxter is looking good, and i am impressed with the graphics and the non loading times, but after rerading psm2 this month they expected a little more, maybe a bit similar to crash in terms of gameplay?, if it gets good reviews i will be seriously considering this game just after xmas when i have some spare money, it seems to be the only other game i want that i already havent got ordered, i await the psm2 review in the next issue which is out next tuesday :-)
Wed 21/11/01 at 10:41
Jak and Daxter beat Crash bandicote in the OPS2 magazine they saud its good to look at which makes you want ot play the game. The draw distnace on the game is absolutely amazing which looks just as good as Grand Theft Auto 3 and it will have no Slow DOwn OR LOADING TIMES
Tue 20/11/01 at 21:34
Regular
this and SSX Tricky for christmas
Tue 20/11/01 at 19:39
Regular
any way Cant wait for the demo on december 5th
Tue 20/11/01 at 19:31
Kid Rock wrote:
> is it an american one?

what, my smackdown? NO, its british, i only got it last week. i mean i ordered it 6 months ago from SR. it is authentic. i didnt answer your question about my ps2 being chipped, did i? well you dont know. haha.
Tue 20/11/01 at 19:29
Regular
is it an american one?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.