GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Jak and Daxter"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 19/11/01 at 17:35
Regular
I must say, I like the look of this game. To a die hard Nintie, it seems to have all the qualities of a great adventure game. Actually, I don't know what to call it really. There's puzzle solving from the action genre, a great storyline from the adventure scene, and a great array of levels which frankly seems unmatched on any platform.

The colours and graphical effects in the game are something else... I don't know if you've seen a the 'clip', but from what I can tell, the draw distace is amazing... and I though Banjo Tooie's levels were big! The areas in the game are huge! You can even see other fully-polygonal islands when standing on the beach of another.

I don't quite know how Naughy Dog have done it, but from a graphical standpoint the game looks perfect. It runs, according to IGN, at 60fps right through... and that, along with the "superb and marvellously done" camera work seem to have sealed the games graphical score at what? a 10?! I think so!

The music sounds quite good aswell... unlike the lumbering 'samey' tunes of prevous PSX adventure titles, the scores seem very accurate, adding to the sense of adventure.

Loads of people have said that gameplay-wise, it's just a spruced up, smoother Crash Bandicoot, but from what I can tell, it isn't... well, it's different enough to be it's own game. The thing is, with developers, they seem to have a certain control style they stick to.

Look at Rare, bless them, they've used the same textures in BT as they did in Conker, the control is almost identical... i'm not knocking them, I love Rare games, they're mad, but I'm just saying, seeing as CB and J and D are from the same developer, the 'similar look' idea isn't so uncommon. And plus, if you're enjoying the game and you loved Crash, what's the matter?!

I don't usually get excited about PS2 games... for me, a die-soft nintnie, the PS2 is a mere gap-filler, but i've come to realise that it is quite a decent platform... as with any console, you have to pick and mix the games that suit you... Jak and Daxter, for me, seems perfect.

I've never been a big fan of racing games, as I remembered after playing Burnout, so a lot of the PS2 titles don't 'fit' as it were, but as long as games like this keep coming i'm sure i'll be fine! - At least until my GameCube comes.... :D

Still, Jak and Daxter does look very good. I know looks aren't everything, but from the sound of things, it could be one of the best games around over Christmas!

Comments?

Game
Mon 19/11/01 at 17:35
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I must say, I like the look of this game. To a die hard Nintie, it seems to have all the qualities of a great adventure game. Actually, I don't know what to call it really. There's puzzle solving from the action genre, a great storyline from the adventure scene, and a great array of levels which frankly seems unmatched on any platform.

The colours and graphical effects in the game are something else... I don't know if you've seen a the 'clip', but from what I can tell, the draw distace is amazing... and I though Banjo Tooie's levels were big! The areas in the game are huge! You can even see other fully-polygonal islands when standing on the beach of another.

I don't quite know how Naughy Dog have done it, but from a graphical standpoint the game looks perfect. It runs, according to IGN, at 60fps right through... and that, along with the "superb and marvellously done" camera work seem to have sealed the games graphical score at what? a 10?! I think so!

The music sounds quite good aswell... unlike the lumbering 'samey' tunes of prevous PSX adventure titles, the scores seem very accurate, adding to the sense of adventure.

Loads of people have said that gameplay-wise, it's just a spruced up, smoother Crash Bandicoot, but from what I can tell, it isn't... well, it's different enough to be it's own game. The thing is, with developers, they seem to have a certain control style they stick to.

Look at Rare, bless them, they've used the same textures in BT as they did in Conker, the control is almost identical... i'm not knocking them, I love Rare games, they're mad, but I'm just saying, seeing as CB and J and D are from the same developer, the 'similar look' idea isn't so uncommon. And plus, if you're enjoying the game and you loved Crash, what's the matter?!

I don't usually get excited about PS2 games... for me, a die-soft nintnie, the PS2 is a mere gap-filler, but i've come to realise that it is quite a decent platform... as with any console, you have to pick and mix the games that suit you... Jak and Daxter, for me, seems perfect.

I've never been a big fan of racing games, as I remembered after playing Burnout, so a lot of the PS2 titles don't 'fit' as it were, but as long as games like this keep coming i'm sure i'll be fine! - At least until my GameCube comes.... :D

Still, Jak and Daxter does look very good. I know looks aren't everything, but from the sound of things, it could be one of the best games around over Christmas!

Comments?

Game
Mon 19/11/01 at 19:01
Regular
it this or DMC for me
Mon 19/11/01 at 19:24
Regular
Free Roaming Crash game?? (quote PSM2)

No thanks...
Mon 19/11/01 at 19:59
Regular
its a lot different i will wait for the playable demo in OPs2 next issue to make my decision
Mon 19/11/01 at 20:04
Regular
"Back For Good"
Jak and Daxter looks very immpresive, The enviroment is full of life and has no loading times whatsoever, Daxter's well funny I dunno if you've seen the same clips as I have but he's crackers :-)

It isnt just a "free roaming crash bandicoot" well it's a more complex, adult version of crash with an RPG theme to it, actually it's not like it at all :-P

Top stuff though :-)
Mon 19/11/01 at 20:09
Regular
i cant wait i saw a video on game network ages ago and it looked like a Sonic beatet
Mon 19/11/01 at 20:16
the game looks really good i think i may buy it plus no loading times is a very big bonus
Mon 19/11/01 at 20:18
Regular
yeh that spoiled red faction just hope i dont get lost in the game!!!!!!!
Mon 19/11/01 at 20:21
Wot game are you lot on about
Mon 19/11/01 at 20:23
Regular
Nik_96 wrote:
> Wot game are you lot on about
read the title it might help you

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.