GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Halo - in retrospect"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Halo'.
Tue 22/04/03 at 10:27
Regular
Hey there people.

Ever since I bought my Xbox back in November, only one game has really held my attention up until the present day. You may be familiar with it, it's a little game called Halo, and I think I'm in love with it.

I won't waste your time waxing lyrical on how it's the best game since sliced bread as I'm sure you're all aware of how top it is. Instead, I wish to know your favourite levels, favourite games, best moments etc. I'm giving it another run through in co-op mode in Legendary at the moment, but am stil playing Deathmatches with alarming regularity.

Flavour of the month is the Hang 'Em High level complete with dozens of tombstones for cover. Old favourites include the ice level with Sniper rifles and all vehicles or the Blood Gulch level with snipers and all vehicles too.

Come on, get excited with me! Metroid Prime sucks! Halo rules!
Thu 01/05/03 at 16:52
Regular
Halo's multiplayer mode is pure fun.

I love it because it lets you play your own way and gives you a fair chance.

If you're skillful enough, you can kill in one with a Sniper rifle, but you have to be good enough.
If you spawn in the middle of a gunfight, three headshots with the standard pistol usually gets you a kill.

Even the Melee attack kills in one if you're skillful enough to hit them in the back.

And if you can't be bothered with skill then there's hundreds of explosives and vehicles to just mess around in!
It's flexible in that you can get a frantic battle if you want challenge and competition or a good laugh if you just want to mess around.

The single player mode was alright, but a bit too repetitive to be real fun. Even so, it had it's moments, normally the FIRST time you tried Sniping or the FIRST time you went driving in each vehicle, or the FIRST time you led a squad of team mates into battle...
Playing co-operative with a partner was cool as well, especially as you could kill them without failing the mission!

Once my I was going up a hill and my brother killed me with a melee attack, so I spawned behind him and killed him, then he spawned behind me and killed me... etc.

We got to the top and saw a trail of "Masterchief" bodies scaling the slope! :-D

Basically, Halo has some cool multiplayer modes, which is why it'll always be better than Metroid Prime! :-P (Sorry Dringo!!)
Wed 30/04/03 at 21:51
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
There are 4 new Halo 2 screen in my new Halo 2 topic. In some ingame too.
Wed 30/04/03 at 13:11
Regular
Your Honour wrote:
> I finished Halo a couple of months back. It took me about 9 months to
> do, because of the bloody Library level, I hated that so much I'd do a
> bit, and then not play it for a few weeks.

yeah that library sucks big time. I played through it all in about 2 hours. its just so damn repetitive. you kill a wave of flood and another appears, and you have to kill them too otherwise you get overwhelmed by them.

anyway thats over with now. it appears i have to play assault on control room backwards now, which aint so bad, although after fighting flood for ages the covenant seem rock hard to beat. scum bags.
Wed 30/04/03 at 09:37
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Mantis wrote:
> Ok. I'm confused.
>
> But I used the Xbox Controller as my Product Evaluation. Gave it 7/10
> after 5 pages.

I'm doing the "Geography Of Videogames" using the spaces, places and representations within games as the research topic :) See, games are educational, and the lecturer supervising it reckons it's a good original title.
Wed 30/04/03 at 08:57
Regular
I finished Halo a couple of months back. It took me about 9 months to do, because of the bloody Library level, I hated that so much I'd do a bit, and then not play it for a few weeks.

Anyway, I would say that it's not one of the best games ever. It is damn good, but not one of the best ever. It takes a lot of good ideas from other games, and wraps them all up in one very tidy package.

On link-up play though, it rocks. And I've only done 2v2 on link-up. I'd love to be able to play 8v8, but I need to persuade more people to buy Xbox's, and I need a bigger telly as well...
Wed 30/04/03 at 02:00
Regular
ok - halo in retrospect - just finished the library and must say I didn't particularly enjoy any part of that level. its exactly the same all the way through.

it better get a whole lot better from here on, as I reckon that level kinda let it down.
Tue 29/04/03 at 23:05
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
wrote:
> And even better, I'm using Halo in my Geography dissertation

Ok. I'm confused.

But I used the Xbox Controller as my Product Evaluation. Gave it 7/10 after 5 pages.
Tue 29/04/03 at 19:49
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Only 9 months or so until the greatest game since Halo comes out...HALO 2 !!

Halo easily stands out as one of the best games I have ever played since I first started playing games on the Atari 2600.

And even better, I'm using Halo in my Geography dissertation :) Go figure on that everybody !
Tue 29/04/03 at 19:43
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
I played a 1-against-2 match with two buddies last week, Slayer Pro, first to 50. Absolutely fantastic, the sight of two opponents both driving cars towards you and swerving around like crazy people made me soil myself. And I won, 50-48 - because I rock, of course.
Tue 29/04/03 at 14:29
Regular
goddamnit!!!!!!!

is there anything more annoying than loading Halo and discovering that after your previous 2 hour playing session YOU DIDN'T SAVE !!!!!??????

ooooh I'm choking on my own rage here.

BTW I only got it a week ago, haven't been playing constantly (due to uni work) and am currently on thte 'If I had a super weapon' bit of the assault on the control room.

I have the flood bits to come yet which I can't say I'm looking forward to, as I am not a big fan of games where you're in the dark and things jump out at you. (not soft or anything they just make you on edge all the time ;D ).

Up to now my favourite parts would have to be just about all of the assault on control room level, and towards the end of the halo/silent cartographer where you have to drive your warthog around and rescue marines.

By the way I'm doing it on Heroic, which I think is reasonably challenging, the idea of legendary doesn't appeal to me very much (!)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.