GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Nintendo Factor"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 13/11/01 at 23:30
Regular
When it comes to the future of gaming I expertise especially when it involves Nintendo. Sadly offering you a balanced opinion and offering you both sides of the argument is both something I can't do and boring so here I will write why it should be Nintendo whom should triumph above the rest.

The N64 had problems yes it was a good system with stunning titles from Nintendo and it's 2nd party developers particularly RARE so with this awesome strength the console why did it cower in the shadow of the Playstation? Simple the Playstation appealed to 3rd party developers they are people who develop for all systems and the N64 wasn't just hard to work on but also expensive (due to cartridges). Now though times have changed, Nintendo have finally upgraded to disc format it is sad to say goodbye to the versatile cartridges but this new Disc format is very similar to Carts. For starters due to the size of the disc not only is it hard to pirate but it also has amazingly short loading times, unnoticeable in some cases (the discs look pretty nifty as well).

So the new disc format is very clever and now 3rd party developers that were attracted to Sony's shiny discs are now attracted to Nintendo as well. Nintendo have also made the Gamecube very very very easy to work on compared to the PS2, which has been described as a pig to programme. So ok how does the effect us? Well it means 3rd parties, which made Sony so popular, are flocking to the Gamecube. Namco makers of classic titles such as Tekken, Soul Calibur and Ridge Racer is bringing no less than 6 Gamecube titles ALREADY a company that took 4 years to commit to the N64 has committed to the Gamecube before it's release with titles including Soul Calibur, Ridge Racer and it is heavily rumored that a Tekken game is in the pipeline.

It isn't just Namco, Capcom famous for MegaMan, Street Fighter and Resident Evil is committing themselves to the Gamecube with tones of titles including Mickey Mouse and 6!!! Resident Evil games a remade and gorgeous Resident Evil and ports of Resident Evil 2/3 and Code Veronica as well as Resident Evil 0 and 4 all EXCLUSIVE to Gamecube which means that no more Resident Evil games are coming out on Playstation 2 or X-box.

Nintendo have also given the Gamecube a low price tag after throwing away the ability to play DVD's and CD's (although a special Panasonic is being released in Japan that allows this). Some of you may see this as a downside to the Gamecube, I don't. If you want a DVD player then get a DVD player if you want a Games Console then get a Games Console these new Multi-Media systems such as the X-box and PS2 have substandard versions of both games console and DVD player. The Gamecube’s Controller is new and comfortable the X-box is huge, ugly and difficult to negotiate the PS2's is nice but it feels the same as the last one (it has more pressure points I know) and therefore makes the PS2 feel like the same old PS1 it just doesn’t make the console feel Next generation.

Nintendo have also signed new second party developers on bored including Silicon Knights, Retro Studios, Left Field and Camelot (as well as RARE and HAL of course). These developers are stunning and with the increase of 3rd party support the Gamecube is a must buy. Nintendo are not childish either Mario and Pokemon are not childish get rid of Pokèmon’s cute graphics and you have animals stabbing, burning, shooting, cutting, hitting, kicking and blowing up each other that’s barley legal and with games such as Conker (that rude gory platformer), Perfect Dark, Metroid, Too Human, Eternal Darkness, 6 Resident Evil titles, Agent Under fire, Turok etc... etc... how can you call them childish?

The console has been described as a childs play toy but stack 10 CD cases up and you'll realize how small and compact the console is.

These are few of the best future Gamecube releases:

Mario Sunshine, Perfect Dark 0, Resident Evil: Code Veronica, Zelda GC, Resident Evil, Mickey Mouse, Super Smash Brothers: Melee, Pokemon Game, Resident Evil 2, Starfox Adventures: Dinosaur Planet, Kameo: elements of power, Donkey Kong Racing, James Bond: Agent Under Fire, Turok Evolution, Too Human, Luigi's Mansion, Resident Evil 3, Metroid, Crazy Taxi, Sonic Adventure 2, Kirby Tilt and Tumble, Mario Kart GC, Wave Race: Blue Storm, Super Monkey Ball, Pikmin, Eternal Darkness, Star Wars rogue leader, Resident Evil 0, Soul Calibur 2, Simpson's Road Rage, 1080 Snowboarding 2, Conker's Other Bad Day (not yet official), Resident Evil 4, Animal Forest, Virtual Striker, Phantasy Star Online V2, Skies of Arcadia, Marionette, FIFA, ISS, Castlevania, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, Extreme G3, 100 Mario's and so many many many more...

Along with all of them (only 6 or 7 of which appear on the Playstation 2) Nintendo's super hand held the Gameboy Advance links up with the Gamecube more than ever in games such as Kirby Tilt and Tumble, Animal Forest and Sonic Adventure 2 (it can be used as an alternative controller) and with Sega's Sonic Team offering full support (they make Sonic, NiGHTS and Phantasy Star online) The Gamecube is one of the worlds most essential consoles.

Here's to the future

Dringo
Tue 13/11/01 at 23:30
Regular
When it comes to the future of gaming I expertise especially when it involves Nintendo. Sadly offering you a balanced opinion and offering you both sides of the argument is both something I can't do and boring so here I will write why it should be Nintendo whom should triumph above the rest.

The N64 had problems yes it was a good system with stunning titles from Nintendo and it's 2nd party developers particularly RARE so with this awesome strength the console why did it cower in the shadow of the Playstation? Simple the Playstation appealed to 3rd party developers they are people who develop for all systems and the N64 wasn't just hard to work on but also expensive (due to cartridges). Now though times have changed, Nintendo have finally upgraded to disc format it is sad to say goodbye to the versatile cartridges but this new Disc format is very similar to Carts. For starters due to the size of the disc not only is it hard to pirate but it also has amazingly short loading times, unnoticeable in some cases (the discs look pretty nifty as well).

So the new disc format is very clever and now 3rd party developers that were attracted to Sony's shiny discs are now attracted to Nintendo as well. Nintendo have also made the Gamecube very very very easy to work on compared to the PS2, which has been described as a pig to programme. So ok how does the effect us? Well it means 3rd parties, which made Sony so popular, are flocking to the Gamecube. Namco makers of classic titles such as Tekken, Soul Calibur and Ridge Racer is bringing no less than 6 Gamecube titles ALREADY a company that took 4 years to commit to the N64 has committed to the Gamecube before it's release with titles including Soul Calibur, Ridge Racer and it is heavily rumored that a Tekken game is in the pipeline.

It isn't just Namco, Capcom famous for MegaMan, Street Fighter and Resident Evil is committing themselves to the Gamecube with tones of titles including Mickey Mouse and 6!!! Resident Evil games a remade and gorgeous Resident Evil and ports of Resident Evil 2/3 and Code Veronica as well as Resident Evil 0 and 4 all EXCLUSIVE to Gamecube which means that no more Resident Evil games are coming out on Playstation 2 or X-box.

Nintendo have also given the Gamecube a low price tag after throwing away the ability to play DVD's and CD's (although a special Panasonic is being released in Japan that allows this). Some of you may see this as a downside to the Gamecube, I don't. If you want a DVD player then get a DVD player if you want a Games Console then get a Games Console these new Multi-Media systems such as the X-box and PS2 have substandard versions of both games console and DVD player. The Gamecube’s Controller is new and comfortable the X-box is huge, ugly and difficult to negotiate the PS2's is nice but it feels the same as the last one (it has more pressure points I know) and therefore makes the PS2 feel like the same old PS1 it just doesn’t make the console feel Next generation.

Nintendo have also signed new second party developers on bored including Silicon Knights, Retro Studios, Left Field and Camelot (as well as RARE and HAL of course). These developers are stunning and with the increase of 3rd party support the Gamecube is a must buy. Nintendo are not childish either Mario and Pokemon are not childish get rid of Pokèmon’s cute graphics and you have animals stabbing, burning, shooting, cutting, hitting, kicking and blowing up each other that’s barley legal and with games such as Conker (that rude gory platformer), Perfect Dark, Metroid, Too Human, Eternal Darkness, 6 Resident Evil titles, Agent Under fire, Turok etc... etc... how can you call them childish?

The console has been described as a childs play toy but stack 10 CD cases up and you'll realize how small and compact the console is.

These are few of the best future Gamecube releases:

Mario Sunshine, Perfect Dark 0, Resident Evil: Code Veronica, Zelda GC, Resident Evil, Mickey Mouse, Super Smash Brothers: Melee, Pokemon Game, Resident Evil 2, Starfox Adventures: Dinosaur Planet, Kameo: elements of power, Donkey Kong Racing, James Bond: Agent Under Fire, Turok Evolution, Too Human, Luigi's Mansion, Resident Evil 3, Metroid, Crazy Taxi, Sonic Adventure 2, Kirby Tilt and Tumble, Mario Kart GC, Wave Race: Blue Storm, Super Monkey Ball, Pikmin, Eternal Darkness, Star Wars rogue leader, Resident Evil 0, Soul Calibur 2, Simpson's Road Rage, 1080 Snowboarding 2, Conker's Other Bad Day (not yet official), Resident Evil 4, Animal Forest, Virtual Striker, Phantasy Star Online V2, Skies of Arcadia, Marionette, FIFA, ISS, Castlevania, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, Extreme G3, 100 Mario's and so many many many more...

Along with all of them (only 6 or 7 of which appear on the Playstation 2) Nintendo's super hand held the Gameboy Advance links up with the Gamecube more than ever in games such as Kirby Tilt and Tumble, Animal Forest and Sonic Adventure 2 (it can be used as an alternative controller) and with Sega's Sonic Team offering full support (they make Sonic, NiGHTS and Phantasy Star online) The Gamecube is one of the worlds most essential consoles.

Here's to the future

Dringo
Tue 13/11/01 at 23:31
Nice.
Tue 13/11/01 at 23:45
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Wierd.
Tue 13/11/01 at 23:49
Regular
"everyone says it"
Sitting in a bunker.
Here behind my wall.
Waiting for the worms to come.
In perfect isolation, here behind my wall.
Waiting for the worms (warning).

Will all the Dringos come to Brixton town hall.

Waiting... to put out a black sheet.

To tear down windows and kick in weeds.

All the queens and the cues and the reds and the jews.

Would you like to see Brittania rule again. My friend?

All you have to do is follow the worms.

*er-no gets taken away*

'noooooooooooooooooooo'
Wed 14/11/01 at 00:07
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
*no comment*
Wed 14/11/01 at 07:48
Regular
The Game wrote:
> Wierd.

Ditto. Not notable-hood for you, young Dringo. I bet you're devestated, eh? ;-)
Wed 14/11/01 at 08:57
Regular
Nintendo Factor? As in a fraction? :-)

Take 10 lots of exciting potential, multiply by Nintendo Factor and end up with 0.2 lots of satisfaction.

As for all those titles you listed, did you read any of them? I only ask because it seems you forgot to take out all the titles that are basically rubbish, and instead listed all the titles you could remember/find.

The console does also appear childish still despite your argument. Simply showing a handful of games containing a little violence doesn`t disprove this. In comparison to other consoles, such as the PS (aimed at older buyers) the games are still created with either a younger theme, or a more cartoony, child pleasing style.
Wed 14/11/01 at 09:59
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
I think the lack or releases was a real problem for Nintendo...

Although the PS1 was slagged off for having a lot of duff releases...

(although, I'm sure there were plenty of gems to?)

Because of constantly high number of releases it always felt like there was something going on with the PS1... it felt more organic... and a lot more contemporary...

It may be that PS1 games dont age as well as N64 titles... but with consoles, as with computers, its only really the here and now that matters...
Wed 14/11/01 at 13:37
Regular
"*Plonk*"
A pretty good one sided op. Actually really good.

>Nice
Wed 14/11/01 at 15:49
Regular
ssxpro wrote:

As for
> all those titles you listed, did you read any of them? I only ask because it
> seems you forgot to take out all the titles that are basically rubbish, and
> instead listed all the titles you could remember/find.

Well EVERYONE seems to do that with games lists now days...
I try not to but others seem to bung whatever they can do, no matter what side of the console war their on.

Half the rubbish ones on Dringo's list were PS2 conversions anyway...

Dringo wrote:
Conker (that rude gory platformer) ... how can you call them childish?

Conkers as childish as they come.
Would you see an adult fighting against the giant poo monster or feeding a mouse cheese?

Which brings me to another point.

Most people who slate Nintendo as a kiddies console are just using the easiest dig that comes to mind - it's like calling the PS2 a sequel station.

Although games like Zelda and Mario aren't as mature as the "grown up and sensible" Gran Tourismo 3, that doesn't make them kiddie games.

And they;re hardly any less mature than the likes of Tekken or Metal Gear Solid in any way apart from the graphics style.
They simply don't try to sell themselves on violence.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.