GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is The XBOX actually worth the cash?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 07/05/03 at 20:56
Regular
Im Going to buy a shiny new XBOX, But I would like to know, Is It worth forking out £130 for one. I dont think there is. The Only reason I want one is to show off my gaming talents on XBOX Live. Can AnyOne Tempt Me?
Sat 10/05/03 at 23:09
Regular
Nomino wrote:
> Maverick42 wrote:
>
> You get two games in the £160.00 bundle. Personally, I'd still
> say it wasn't worth it.
>
> You still think that's not worth it? I suppose you think
> £30/£40 per game is?

Of course - literally millions are spent on some games, lets give something back, eh? £30-40 is very reasonable. I don't think the Xbox is worth £130.00 or £160.00 with a couple of games because I can only see two games worth buying on the machine.
Sat 10/05/03 at 21:37
Regular
Maverick42 wrote:

> You get two games in the £160.00 bundle. Personally, I'd still
> say it wasn't worth it.

You still think that's not worth it? I suppose you think £30/£40 per game is?

In the grand scheme of things, £300 for the console initially was relatively good value when you offset that against the money spent on games throughout the period of ownership. Why people get hung up on hardware costs is a mystery to me.

Save a tenner here, twenty quid there...big freakin' deal!! What's a £40 saving going to buy you, one game?!
Sat 10/05/03 at 19:24
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Nomino wrote:
> So let me get this right bog-roll, at £130 for the console on
> it's own you think it's not worth it, but £160 for a bundle pack
> is worth it? When you consider the fact that most of the bundled
> games can be had for £30 anyway, what you are saying is this:
>
> £160 paid in one lump sum for an XBox bundle IS worth it.
> £130 for the Xbox and an extra £30 spent on a game IS NOT
> worth it.
>
> £160 has been spent in both cases, so how can one be worth it
> and one not?

No that's not what I'm saying at all, if you were to buy the console and games seperately it would cost around £190, therefore by buying the bundle together you save 30 quid.
Sat 10/05/03 at 18:31
Regular
Nomino wrote:
> What Maverick42 forogt to say was, he got his XBox with 2 games, 2
> controllers and a DVD remote for £95 SECOND HAND.

I'd have thought that was fairly obvious. Does it matter? It's the same condition.

> So let me get this right bog-roll, at £130 for the console on
> it's own you think it's not worth it, but £160 for a bundle pack
> is worth it? When you consider the fact that most of the bundled
> games can be had for £30 anyway, what you are saying is this:

You get two games in the £160.00 bundle. Personally, I'd still say it wasn't worth it.
Sat 10/05/03 at 18:23
Regular
What Maverick42 forogt to say was, he got his XBox with 2 games, 2 controllers and a DVD remote for £95 SECOND HAND.

So let me get this right bog-roll, at £130 for the console on it's own you think it's not worth it, but £160 for a bundle pack is worth it? When you consider the fact that most of the bundled games can be had for £30 anyway, what you are saying is this:

£160 paid in one lump sum for an XBox bundle IS worth it.
£130 for the Xbox and an extra £30 spent on a game IS NOT worth it.

£160 has been spent in both cases, so how can one be worth it and one not?
Sat 10/05/03 at 15:07
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
I wouldn't say it was worth £130 to be honest, because you don't get any game with it at that price. For 30 quid more you can get games with it, £160 quid is a good price with games, that's the pack I bought and I've been more than happy with it.
Sat 10/05/03 at 12:39
Regular
Honestly, I wouldn't say it was worth £130.00. At the end of the day - I only own two games for the thing and I'm not dying to buy any more for the moment. While Morrowind is sheer gaming excellence, and Halo is a textbook FPS, you won't find many more must haves until Knights Of The Old Republic, Deus Ex 2 and the rest come out.

There is the online play, but it's not really supported by many decent titles as of yet. Halo 2 and Star Wars: Galaxies should be the ones to get it for. I got mine for £95.00 with two games, two controllers and a DVD Remote which was a bloody good deal. If you want my advice, try and pick one up for the same price I did - or look at getting a different console.
Sat 10/05/03 at 12:35
Regular
Hedfix wrote:
> Best console for Timesplitters 2.

That would be GameCube.
Thu 08/05/03 at 23:26
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Savatt spends approx £130 a week on games. No sweat.
Thu 08/05/03 at 11:14
Regular
Master J wrote:
> Im Going to buy a shiny new XBOX, But I would like to know, Is It
> worth forking out £130 for one. I dont think there is. The Only
> reason I want one is to show off my gaming talents on XBOX Live. Can
> AnyOne Tempt Me?

You started with, "I'm going to buy a shiny new XBox", meaning you ARE buying one at some point. So, why ask if anyone can tempt you?

If you only want to show off your talents on XBox Live, what choice do you have? Just buy the bloody thing and enjoy it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.