GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Portable PlayStation! Portable PlayStation!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 13/05/03 at 18:36
Regular
http://special.reserve.co.uk/news/story.php?id=2599

Sweet Lord.
Thu 15/05/03 at 00:45
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Cooky wrote:
> Darwock wrote:
> And how exactly do you think you'll be able to fit your old PSX
> games
> inside? This is a portable machine remember. Best news is the
> ability
> to connect to a TV, that's essential for a portable I reckon.
>
> Connecting a 'portable' machine should be essential for it to connect
> to a TV? But that kinda defeats the purpose of the portability! If I
> wanted games to play through my TV I'd use a proper console!
>
> :)

I guess that means you never play your GBA at home then? I don't... o it only becomes worthwhile when I go away on business. If it connected to the TV I'd play it at home too.
Thu 15/05/03 at 08:19
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Darwock wrote:
> I guess that means you never play your GBA at home then? I don't... o
> it only becomes worthwhile when I go away on business. If it connected
> to the TV I'd play it at home too.

If I'm playing it at home I'm normally sat at the loo! Don't have a TV in there btw.

:)
Thu 15/05/03 at 09:07
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Bluetooth / wireless gaming is a dodgy subject.

Back in 1995/6, a small unknown company (cannot remember name) bought all the rights to every form of wireless gaming, which includes Bluetooth.

I think they are even setting up a lawsuit versus Nokia, unless they agree on a license for its wireless options.

It was in gamesTM I believe if you want to read up on it.
Thu 15/05/03 at 09:40
Regular
"Complete Banker"
Blurb wrote:
> Your portable playstation will never out sell the Brillant Nintendo
> GBA

Who's Portable PlayStation?? OK, own up, who's got one?? Who stole the prototype, hence nothing being shown?? There are so many potential suspects... who is it??
Thu 15/05/03 at 12:48
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
I was just going to get an SP as well. Now it's really dodgy. Do I buy the SP knowing that it will be obsolete in just over a year, or do I wait a year and suffer the agonising decision of GBA2 or PSP?
Thu 15/05/03 at 13:33
Regular
"Complete Banker"
Blank wrote:
> I was just going to get an SP as well. Now it's really dodgy. Do I buy
> the SP knowing that it will be obsolete in just over a year, or do I
> wait a year and suffer the agonising decision of GBA2 or PSP?

If you can afford it, buy the SP now as there's some cracking games out, like A link to the Past, Metriod Fusion, Advance Wars etc etc etc.

You won't see a PSP for at least 18 months and unless Sony do a simultaneous worldwide release, you might not see one for 2 years. The GBA2 could be even longer!
Thu 15/05/03 at 21:27
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
phuzzy wrote:
> Bluetooth / wireless gaming is a dodgy subject.
>
> Back in 1995/6, a small unknown company (cannot remember name) bought
> all the rights to every form of wireless gaming, which includes
> Bluetooth.
>
> I think they are even setting up a lawsuit versus Nokia, unless they
> agree on a license for its wireless options.
>
> It was in gamesTM I believe if you want to read up on it.

It REALLY REALLY annoyed me when I found this out a few weeks ago!

I cannoy understand how some company can be granted the rights to something like "Wireless gaming!" If soooooooooooo STUPID!

I understand if a company writes a piece of software, or creates a new kinda of chip, how the designs of those can be copywrited. But HOW can you copywrite a concept???

GRRR-ARGH

Annoys me SOOOO much!

:(
Thu 15/05/03 at 21:28
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
*cannot
Fri 16/05/03 at 21:36
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Flying Pig wrote:
> If you can afford it, buy the SP now as there's some cracking games
> out, like A link to the Past, Metriod Fusion, Advance Wars etc etc
> etc.
>
> You won't see a PSP for at least 18 months and unless Sony do a
> simultaneous worldwide release, you might not see one for 2 years.
> The GBA2 could be even longer!

I think that's what I might do. But I think the GBA 2 will be released alongside the PSP to combat it.
Sat 17/05/03 at 01:05
Regular
"Wobble"
Dr Duck wrote:
> If it folds over gba style it could cary it off.

What you need to remember is that Sony are absolute masters of miniaturisation.

People marvelled at the small size of the CD. Sony made it smaller with MD. Their top-end MD players are barely larger than the discs within. Walkmans barely larger than cassette tapes. CD Walkmans only a little larger than CDs. Others have followed, but Sony were the originals.

The only thing that will add to the size is the screen - which sounds like a nice size. I steer clear of handhelds because I don't like squinting, but this could be the machine to change my mind.

Will it beat the Gameboy? Maybe, but not for a very long time, at least in terms of sales. It could certainly be a serious contender for the crown though.

Others have tried and failed in the past, but there are two major differences:

1. In the past, other companies have tried to compete on a level playing field - releasing games machines to compete with a games machine. This PSP at the very least *sounds* like it will be offering top games AND quite a bit more.

2. The Gameboy has gone stale recently. Many magazines berate the quality of the software, which - while of respectable to high standard - is pretty much just re-hashed and updated versions of old NES/SNES/original Gameboy titles. The GBA-SP, while attractive to look at, is just an attempt at injecting some new life into a stagnating product.

My personal opinion is that Nintendo have done with the Gameboy exactly what some people accused Sony of doing with PS2: got complacent because of the lack of credible competition.

Mind you... 1.8GB discs... more storage on a Sony handheld than on Nintendo's main console... interesting...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.