GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Portable PlayStation! Portable PlayStation!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 13/05/03 at 18:36
Regular
http://special.reserve.co.uk/news/story.php?id=2599

Sweet Lord.
Wed 14/05/03 at 10:29
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
The GameBoy brand is too far ahead to ever be caught.
If or when the Sony machine comes out it will no doubt be cool and will sell many units, but the GBA, GBA SP, or GBA2 will rule supreme.
Look at what happened to the Neo Geo Pocket, they had all the clever "Game Over Boy" advertising, prematurely signalling the demise of the GameBoy and where is it now? In many a car boot sale.
The Game Gear, the Atari Lynx, the WonderSwan, the Neo Geo Pocket, they've all tried to take the crown, but failed.

At least the future of the handheld industry will be a bit more interesting now, as Nintendo need to pull their finger out as they'll finally have some strong competition to contend with and can no longer rest on their laurels, should be good for gamers though as we'll ultimately benefit.
Wed 14/05/03 at 10:34
Regular
I reckon Nintendo have something to be worried about now.

However, they've already confirmed they are in development of the next Game Boy system - so I'm sure they'll have something ready to compete.
Wed 14/05/03 at 10:37
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
It'll be good if Nintendo can take a great leap foward for the GameBoy and use the tiny Gamecube technology as the basis of a handheld machine. That would be cool...
Wed 14/05/03 at 11:18
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Ken Kuturagi says it'll be 'the Walkman of the 21st century'

Woooooh...

And the PSP appears to have lots of functions, not just games playing. DVD-quality MPEG viewing, a USB 2.0 port, compatible with Sony memory sticks... I'm getting one.

Unless it looks rubbish.
Wed 14/05/03 at 12:13
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Shame not much else of interest was announced at the Sony conference.
Wed 14/05/03 at 13:01
El Blokey wrote:
> 4.5inch screen

That's huge. Hardly a pocket option, is it?

You have to admire the timing though. Due for release next year, while Nintendo's Gameboy successor won't be seen until '05.

It'll most likely be crap, but will sell in huge numbers because it'll be technicially better than the SP, and mostly because it's a Sony product.
Wed 14/05/03 at 13:34
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Badly Drawn Boy wrote:

> Only if it is backwards compitable will i buy.

And how exactly do you think you'll be able to fit your old PSX games inside? This is a portable machine remember. Best news is the ability to connect to a TV, that's essential for a portable I reckon.

Sony know what they are doing. Nintendo need to think very carefully...
Wed 14/05/03 at 13:57
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
My main issue with something like the PSP, is that the GBA is a good, small portable gaming machine. The games available on it, are good short term games, not requiring your constant attention like games made for major consoles. When games on handhelds finally go fully 3D, to Playstation1 standard, I see games becoming proper fully fledged games. Gone will be the times of the good ol' 2D side scrolling platformer again, and the basic Tetris style puzzle games.

I just hope that with these advances in technology, that developers don't forget about what makes a portable game!

:)
Wed 14/05/03 at 13:59
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Darwock wrote:
> And how exactly do you think you'll be able to fit your old PSX games
> inside? This is a portable machine remember. Best news is the ability
> to connect to a TV, that's essential for a portable I reckon.

Connecting a 'portable' machine should be essential for it to connect to a TV? But that kinda defeats the purpose of the portability! If I wanted games to play through my TV I'd use a proper console!

:)
Wed 14/05/03 at 14:19
Regular
"Complete Banker"
Totoro wrote:
> The Game Gear, the Atari Lynx, the WonderSwan, the Neo Geo Pocket,
> they've all tried to take the crown, but failed.

Sony have an unparalleled track record in the console industry and I have no doubt that they know exactly what they're doing. The reason the likes of the Wonderswan, Lynx and Neogeo pocket failed is because of the company behind them - Sony will make this big and will do whatever it takes to make the PSP a success.

The introduction of a bit of competition for the GBA should be welcome, hopefully forcing Nintendo to release some more original content and reduce the price of the over expensive games.

I'm holding final judgement until we see it, get final specs and see the thing running, but I'm certainly optomistic!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.