GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Portable PlayStation! Portable PlayStation!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 13/05/03 at 18:36
Regular
http://special.reserve.co.uk/news/story.php?id=2599

Sweet Lord.
Tue 20/05/03 at 20:05
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
What I'm saying is, you can give examples of small things that have some of these features, but something that has all of them is bound to be a bit larger. It stands to reason.
Sun 18/05/03 at 18:48
Regular
"Wobble"
Blank wrote:
> Does it have a Mini Disk slot also?

Unfortunately not.

But if you're implying that an MD slot would make for a large machine, you should also check out Sony's MZ-E900 MD player!
Sun 18/05/03 at 18:18
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Chemical Ali wrote:
> Pop into a decent phone shop and check out the Sony Ericsson P800 -
> large colour screen and memory stick slot, and smaller than a GBA.

Does it have a Mini Disk slot also?
Sun 18/05/03 at 04:40
Regular
"Wobble"
Blank wrote:
> The GBA will beat this in terms of size, considering the PSP will have
> a larger screen, memory stick slot, and other capabilities to cater
> for. Although they are good at miniaturisation, a memory stick slot
> will make it bigger than competitors - unless Nintendo decide to give
> the GBA2 these things as well.

The screen is likely to be all that makes it larger. The USB port and memory stick slot will be irrelevant as far as size goes.

Pop into a decent phone shop and check out the Sony Ericsson P800 - large colour screen and memory stick slot, and smaller than a GBA.
Sat 17/05/03 at 13:58
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Dr Duck wrote:
>> Got to agree here. The gba isn't much more than a portable snes these
> days.
>

Problem?

:D
Sat 17/05/03 at 13:13
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
The GBA will beat this in terms of size, considering the PSP will have a larger screen, memory stick slot, and other capabilities to cater for. Although they are good at miniaturisation, a memory stick slot will make it bigger than competitors - unless Nintendo decide to give the GBA2 these things as well.
Sat 17/05/03 at 04:02
Regular
Chemical Ali wrote:
> What you need to remember is that Sony are absolute masters of
> miniaturisation.

A good point. They do have certain limitations in the screen and controls - especially if they plan to have an analogue stick and/or several action buttons. Plus all the small stuff gets very expensive, at least at first. But they could well pull it off...

> Others have tried and failed in the past, but there are two major
> differences:
>
> 1. In the past, other companies have tried to compete on a level
> playing field - releasing games machines to compete with a games
> machine. This PSP at the very least *sounds* like it will be offering
> top games AND quite a bit more.

There's a flash card adaptor available, in japan / on import at the moment which allows playback of sound and video files through the gba. Plus if the PSP is set to arrive at the same time as the next gba, we could still see machines with similar capabilities...

> 2. The Gameboy has gone stale recently. Many magazines berate the
> quality of the software, which - while of respectable to high standard
> - is pretty much just re-hashed and updated versions of old
> NES/SNES/original Gameboy titles. The GBA-SP, while attractive to
> look at, is just an attempt at injecting some new life into a
> stagnating product.

Got to agree here. The gba isn't much more than a portable snes these days.

> Mind you... 1.8GB discs... more storage on a Sony handheld than on
> Nintendo's main console... interesting...

I guess multiple disks isn't a realistic possibility for a portable machine. It'll be interesting to see how much of the capacity is used though. I guess it'll largely depend on the machine's capabilities and what kind of games are made for it.
Sat 17/05/03 at 01:05
Regular
"Wobble"
Dr Duck wrote:
> If it folds over gba style it could cary it off.

What you need to remember is that Sony are absolute masters of miniaturisation.

People marvelled at the small size of the CD. Sony made it smaller with MD. Their top-end MD players are barely larger than the discs within. Walkmans barely larger than cassette tapes. CD Walkmans only a little larger than CDs. Others have followed, but Sony were the originals.

The only thing that will add to the size is the screen - which sounds like a nice size. I steer clear of handhelds because I don't like squinting, but this could be the machine to change my mind.

Will it beat the Gameboy? Maybe, but not for a very long time, at least in terms of sales. It could certainly be a serious contender for the crown though.

Others have tried and failed in the past, but there are two major differences:

1. In the past, other companies have tried to compete on a level playing field - releasing games machines to compete with a games machine. This PSP at the very least *sounds* like it will be offering top games AND quite a bit more.

2. The Gameboy has gone stale recently. Many magazines berate the quality of the software, which - while of respectable to high standard - is pretty much just re-hashed and updated versions of old NES/SNES/original Gameboy titles. The GBA-SP, while attractive to look at, is just an attempt at injecting some new life into a stagnating product.

My personal opinion is that Nintendo have done with the Gameboy exactly what some people accused Sony of doing with PS2: got complacent because of the lack of credible competition.

Mind you... 1.8GB discs... more storage on a Sony handheld than on Nintendo's main console... interesting...
Fri 16/05/03 at 21:36
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Flying Pig wrote:
> If you can afford it, buy the SP now as there's some cracking games
> out, like A link to the Past, Metriod Fusion, Advance Wars etc etc
> etc.
>
> You won't see a PSP for at least 18 months and unless Sony do a
> simultaneous worldwide release, you might not see one for 2 years.
> The GBA2 could be even longer!

I think that's what I might do. But I think the GBA 2 will be released alongside the PSP to combat it.
Thu 15/05/03 at 21:28
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
*cannot

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.