GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GT4"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Gran Turismo 4 (GT4)'.
Wed 14/05/03 at 09:36
Regular
http://mediaviewer.ign.com/ignMediaPage.jsp? channel_id=70&object_id=489327&adtag=network=ign&site= ps2&pagetype=medialist&page_title=Gran+Turismo

If the game even looks half this good it'll be the mutts!!
Sat 17/05/03 at 09:05
Regular
"Yours or Mine"
cool
Sat 17/05/03 at 06:47
Regular
"Sorry about speelin"
someone read the SR news on GT4 and youl get 500 cars 200 tracks and some online play
Sat 17/05/03 at 01:17
Regular
"Wobble"
Darwock wrote:
> Guess you didn't read the bit I posted below, it's entirely online.

Interview with Kazunori Yamauchi (the games lead developer, as I'm sure you all know) in latest PSM2:

PSM2: The online features sound amazing. Will the game still include a classic single player Gran Turismo mode?

Yamauchi: Ok, just to clarify: the online aspect of the game would, of course, be important, but it's only important to enhance the world of Gran Turismo, and allow players to have a new experience. I don't think that the online segment is the biggest chunk of the game and, for obvious reasons, yes we will continue to include single-player mode that can be played as a standalone. The volume, quality and content of the game aren't going to be exclusively online.

So there you have it folks - straight from the horses mouth, so to speak.
Fri 16/05/03 at 20:25
Regular
"  "
Oh and if you get the new OPSM2 then it says that GT4's damage engine has been built, and whether or not it will be included is down to a few more licensing agreements.
Fri 16/05/03 at 13:30
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
It's not inaccurate info.

(I'd forgotten why I quit this site in the first place, now I remember....)
Fri 16/05/03 at 09:38
Regular
"Complete Banker"
Darwock wrote:
> A friend who works for Edge. In this case he's not at E3, but one of
> his colleagues is. So it's 3rd hand info.

From what you've been telling us, it's pretty inaccurate 3rd hand info...!
Out of interest; is the Edge office at the top of an Ivory Tower?
Thu 15/05/03 at 21:25
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
A friend who works for Edge. In this case he's not at E3, but one of his colleagues is. So it's 3rd hand info.
Thu 15/05/03 at 21:08
Regular
"  "
No play at E3? I think not. Darwock, where are you getting your info from?
Thu 15/05/03 at 20:44
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
I was just looking at the same page (no need to post it ALL, by the way), and was going to highlight this:

"Developers Polyphony Digital are also in the process of overhauling the AI engine at present, meaning computer-controlled cars will behave in a more human manner and will actually learn from mistakes they make"

Online only? I think not.
Thu 15/05/03 at 20:27
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
From Gamesradar.com

Gran Turismo 4: Hands-on!

E3 2003: We've played it! Online compatibility, over 500 vehicles, incredibly realistic handling... Could this be the greatest driving game ever?

You always knew that GT4 was going to be good. But only now that Sony have unveiled the first ever playable code of it at this year's E3 can we begin to fathom the sheer scope of what could shape up to be the best driving game ever.

It will feature a total of over 500 cars, included standard factory models, convertibles, modified street racers and traditional racing cars. Also featured will be a selection of historically significant‚ models, although it's not clear at present quite how far back in time this will stretch. Model T in GT4, anyone?

The 23 vehicles to choose from in the demo we played were:
Honda NSX-R
Mazda RX-8
Nissan Z
Chevrolet SSR
Pontiac Vibe GT
Chrysler Prowler
Subaru Impreza WRX
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Pontiac GTO
Chevrolet Chevelle
Suzuki Cappuccino
Honda Prelude Type S
Toyota Supra 2.5 Twin Turbo
Pontiac GXP
Plymouth Cuda 440-6
Toyota Corolla Levin
Isuzu 117 Coupe
Alfa Romeo Giulla Sprint GTA
Alpine Renault 1600S
Chevrolet Camaro 2/28
Nissan Fairlady 240 ZG
Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 350
Lotus Europa Special

A new car physics engine marks the first major refinement in GT history and means that the handling of the cars is closer to that of their real-life counterparts than ever before. Certainly when you play the game, it's probably the closest impression to actually driving a real car we've ever seen in a console racer. Ironically, this should actually make the game slightly easier for novices as you're less likely to spin out on straights.

Developers Polyphony Digital are also in the process of overhauling the AI engine at present, meaning computer-controlled cars will behave in a more human manner and will actually learn from mistakes they make.

As for the courses themselves, these will be made up of landscapes from around the world (New York and the Grand Canyon were the two we saw) and well-known licensed circuits from the US, Europe and Japan (of which we saw the Tsukuba Circuit).

While Polyphony Digital thought that they had pushed PS2 to the limit of its graphical capabilities in GT3, they reckon that they've managed to go even further in GT4. The landscapes and the car models do look absolutely fantastic, as do effects like the dust on the Grand Canyon course. However, churls that we are, we couldn't help but notice that there is some pop-up in the current build of the game, although this only tends to stand out if you're watching someone else playing it.

The game's main Simulation mode will add more activities than just licence tests and races, including museums and the return of the used car dealers (which were dropped from GT3). More details on the Simulation mode are expected to be announced later this summer.

Of the three tracks we played, our favourite was New York, a lengthy circuit that takes you right through the streets of the Big Apple. Key characteristics are some insanely sharp corners and the impressive visual effect of being dwarfed by skyscrapers towering over you.

The Grand Canyon track, meanwhile, is probably one of the longest Gran Turismo courses ever - it takes almost three minutes to complete just one lap. It also boasts the narrowest track we've yet seen on a GT course. Keep an eye out for the backdrops here too - they look absolutely stunning.

The best aspect of the game though is the network play, which allows you to race against up to seven other human opponents via broadband. The interface to set up online races is incredibly simple and being able to race against real people takes the whole GT experience to another level.

The current version of the game - which is due to be released by the end of the year - isn't without some niggles though. At the moment, there's no way of communicating with other players so it's impossible to agree to pick the same vehicle in order to create a fair race. Presumably, Sony's new USB headset (announced yesterday at their pre-E3 conference), will be compatible with the game to overcome this issue. Perhaps more worrying, though, is just how jerky the movement of opposition cars is during network play - even when there are only two of you playing.

Nonetheless, the demo of the game - which represents only a fraction of what will be featured in the finished version - was massively impressive and we can't wait to get our eager little mitts on more preview code.

Keep an eye on gamesradar.com next week for some stunning footage of the game in action along with clips of the beautiful-looking replay mode.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.