GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mario 128"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 15/05/03 at 18:30
Regular
Few people have realised this, they wonder what it might be.

Think about the number, it's 128, half of 128 is 64 yes?

THat makes Mario 128:

Mario 64 * 2

Just like Final Fantasy X 2, except it's been simplified, see what I'm getting at?

And if you don't, Mario 128 is sequel to Mario 64.

It's hapened too many times, but it's WAY too obvious.
Sun 18/05/03 at 11:24
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
TÞhi wrote:
> Christ, what a dull topic this has become. I already knew the
> 8bits/byte thing. I'm clever. :D
>
> 8 bits = 1 byte
> 800 bytes = 1 kilobyte
> and so on and so forth: kilobyte, megabyte, gigabyte, terrabyte,
> petabyte.

It's become a bit more interesting now. I take it you were not serious when you said a kilobyte is 800 bytes. Sorry if I missed the dry humour!

Of course 1 kilobyte is 1024 bytes, 1 megabyte is 1024 kilobytes and so on.
Sun 18/05/03 at 00:56
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Christ, what a dull topic this has become. I already knew the 8bits/byte thing. I'm clever. :D

8 bits = 1 byte
800 bytes = 1 kilobyte
and so on and so forth: kilobyte, megabyte, gigabyte, terrabyte, petabyte.
Sat 17/05/03 at 17:52
Regular
http://www.nintendo.com.au/gamecube/system/index.php

THere.
Sat 17/05/03 at 15:37
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
It's better to look at their actual clock speeds, amount of memory, max. bandwidth etc.

And a 128-bit CPU can process 128-bits of information per clock cycle.
Sat 17/05/03 at 15:33
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
maddmun wrote:
> What is exactly IS the bit?
>
> ie, processor speed, etc...
>
> Which is it.
>
> Just so that I can find it out.

This is all Sega's fault for stamping '16-bit' on the front of every Megadrive and Genesis around the world just because pretty much everything in it was 16-bit (CPU, data bus, all but the sound processor which, and I may be wrong, was only 8-bit). Nowadays the architectures are so much more complex. If you really want to compare consoles purely by a single figure then the GC, PS2 and X-Box are actually all only 64-bit. If you *really* only want to look at one number then I'd advise you look at the data bus size. It won't give you the right answer all or even most of the time but it's a better option than the rest.

It's all marketing spin now though - would you really be as impressed with your new console if it had the same number of bits as one from the last generation? Of course not. And you get bet the term 256 bit will be flying around when the next batch are around even though I very much doubt any components of any of them reach this figure

Knowing that your current 'super console' has no more 'bits' than an Atari Jaguar do you see how much use it is to compare them in this way?
Sat 17/05/03 at 00:28
Regular
Just tested it - I saved a .txt file containing just 'cat' and it was 3 bytes in memory.
Sat 17/05/03 at 00:25
Regular
Yes. Except it's every single character on your keyboard, regardless of what it is, even space and return, maybe. This message comprises of exactly 171 bytes or 1368 bits.

(This part and below are not counted in calculations)
I think. I learned it in Computing not too long ago, so it's fresh in my memory.
Sat 17/05/03 at 00:21
Regular
Ahhh......
Sat 17/05/03 at 00:20
Regular
So 8 bits / 1 byte can do one letter?
Sat 17/05/03 at 00:19
Regular
Dr Duck wrote:
> If 1 bit is one binary character, in 'real' numbers it can be either 0
> or 1.
>
> 3 binary characters can be from 0 to 8, which might have counted as 8
> bit, in my not knowing either way world.

EH?

Everything is based around the 8 digit binary codes like 10100110, as each gives a unique code, each letter on your keyboard is 1 byte, as it's comprised of 8 binary digits, known as ASCII (American Standard Code for Information Interchange). TO prove this theory, create a document with lets say 12 characters in it and it should be exactly 12 bytes.

If this has absolutely anything to do with what you are talking about then I rest my case, if not, then ignore me, until I say something else.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.