GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Whats better, GAMECUBE or PLAYSTATION 2?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 03/11/01 at 20:25
Regular
Okay, so nintendo have got serious competition when it comes to games consoles.
I personally think that the gamecube is better.
But I want to know if you prefer GAMECUBE or PLAYSTATION 2.
Tell me:
1)What console you prefer
2)Why you prefer it
3)What games you would like to see released on the console.

I prefer the gamecube because it produces 405 MHZ, 6 million-12 million polygons / second, the discs are 8cm diameter and you can play with other people around the world.
Sun 04/11/01 at 12:48
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
No way, I've never seen a new PS2 game for more than £38.99
Sun 04/11/01 at 12:46
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
The america price of games is about $45-$50 but u can probably get them cheaper if you shop around. They'll probably be about £45 here (about the same as new PS2 games I think?) but I'm gonna buy all my games off SR (if they r cheap) or from auction sites, so I can get everything a little cheaper!
Sun 04/11/01 at 12:41
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Well SR have already had a price scare and I think in America the price of games will be $50, which always converts to £50.
Sun 04/11/01 at 12:32
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
I don't think Ninty will push the prices up high. They'll be about the same as PS2 games. This is cos Ninty are now trying to be 3rd party friendly, while on the N64 they were kind of trying to make sure developers would only develop for it if they were making a decent game. If prices are too high Ninty will lose some 3rd party support and I don't think it would risk that this time.
Sun 04/11/01 at 12:14
Regular
I haven't played the GameCube so I can't give a proper opinion to what is better.

However, I reckon the GameCube will be better but that's a biased opinion because I'm a huge Nintendo fan.
Sun 04/11/01 at 11:49
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Sony gave a raw number of polygons because the fact is, no one knows how many real polygons it can push. MGS2 apparently does 20 million/sec, some games do a lot less.

Nintendo have exclusive rights to the Optical Discs and will probably use their exclusivity on them to really push prices up like they did with carts before them. DVDs are invariably cheaper because it's standardised technology. Of course, piracy MAY push the prices up a little but it won't be long before you can buy 8cm writable DVDs and be able to chip a GameCube. Piracy will always plague consoles.
Sun 04/11/01 at 11:41
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Turbonutter wrote:

Sony have a fantastic
> attitude to Europeans and gamers in general, it has all my favourite developers
> 100% exclusive and lastly, it's the people's console!

Umm, Sony has q fantastic atitude to gamers in general? Then why did they try to fob gemers off by telling them the PS2 could do some outrageous number of polygons per second that, ok it COULD do if it was drawing polygons on a blank background with NO texturing, lighting etc. and doesn't even consider game input (ie. someone controlling something in the game).

"I prefer the gamecube because it produces 405 MHZ,
> 6 million-12 million polygons / second, the discs are 8cm diameter and you can
> play with other people around the world."

"the discs are 8cm
> diameter"

This also means nothing. In fact, it's possibly a bad thing.
> They can push the proce of games up (again, because Nintendo have exclusivity on
> them), alienates some developers, again due to costs and could leave to
> disc-changing.

Actually this is more likely to reduce prices, because although the propriatry DVDs will probably cost a bit more than normal DVDs they basically can't be pirated, so Nintendo won't lose tons of money like other CD based console makers have because of fake games.

PS I am not trying to have a go at you or anything, but I am also entitled to my opinion
:)
Sun 04/11/01 at 03:00
I think the GameCube is getting off to a good start in the USA, StarWars is Superb and if the quality titles continue to role in such as the Resident Evil games then Ild have to say Ild rather the GameCube. Nintendo always seem to make great games and I think the GameCube will surpass the legacy of the N64 in 6 months.

I also rather the GameCubes controller to the Playstation 2's DualShock pad (Both are infinately superior to the Xbox controller though, thank God!).

Personal preferences aside though both are great machines and the price of the PS2 in the UK is spot on and so if I wanted a machine for Christmas Ild get a PS2.

New Jimmy posting from the USA
Sun 04/11/01 at 01:03
Regular
"not dead"
I prefer the style of games that will be on the GAMECUBE, so that's what I'll be buying.

I won't say no if somebody would like to give me their Playstation 2 though, I'm sure if I looked into it I'd find plenty of games I'd enjoy.

I really don't give a Mario whether my console can push or indeed pull 10 million polygons, or what size the discs are, if it plays games that I think I'll enjoy, I may well get one.
Sun 04/11/01 at 00:54
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I have a right to an opinion, and my opinion is that he's an idiot. He's just quoting specs for God's sake and trying to pass it off as a reason for liking the GameCube! Anyone who can't see that means absolutely nothing is an idiot and unwelcome here. This is the best gaming forum on the web because we filter out all the people who are unlikely yo contribute. Either that or we resign them to the Nintendo forum.

I come here because I like intelligent discussions, and I'm sure everyone else does too. Newbies that crop up with this kind of thing just spoils and these people ARE killing these forums.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.