GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo in deep water"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 26/05/03 at 21:56
Regular
Nintendo's share price is falling faster than a leaf in autumn. Why? The industry is pointing the finger at the poor sales of the Gamecube, citing all the surplus stock sitting on the warehouse shelves.

Nintendo are a big company, of course, but they are pretty worried about the fairly hefty fall in their company's profits by about 37 percent. Even their usual fallback on the handheld market is now being threatened by Sony's new handheld Playstation, currently being readied for release over the next year, and their Pokemon franchise, which is slowing down of late.

The news is that they want to ditch the Cube and try again, but doing this would drastically affect their company image. This was a company founded on trust, when they took back faulty NES consoles without arguement and replaced them with new ones in Japan it made their sales jump through the roof.

Whatever way they decide to stay afloat, it looks bad for the true gamers who were hoping and believing that there could be room for 3 consoles in the market. E3 showed that some companies are cutting back again on their Gamecube titles, despite earlier efforts from Nintendo to gain support from big players like EA Games. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.
Page:
Tue 27/05/03 at 18:29
"!Basement Clucking!"
Yeah all 3 are pretty ugly.

PS2: Looks like your standard VCR.
X-Box: Need a forklift and a 16 man delivery team to manuver the damn thing.
GC: Looks like part of a 'put the cube in the cube hole' toys (although i do like the platinum one).

One of the best designs for a console was the MegaDrive 2 (the small one with the red buttons. It was compact, very stylish, and although the colours look a bit old fashioned now, just change them and you have a winner (The PSone portable proves this, very similar indeed). Yes we all like small and portable, but we dont want it in the shape of a VCR or a toy square, we want contemporery designs, flashy machines, consoles should learn from Mobile phones, although im not much of a 'gota have the best mobile' sorta guy, i do beleive that some of them look outstandingly stylish. Perhaps Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft could get some of those designers to do work there magic.
Tue 27/05/03 at 18:33
Regular
Alter Ego says:
>X-Box: Need a forklift and a 16 man delivery team to manuver the damn >thing.

Thats funny I am sure I carried it on my own with a bag in one hand?! The White House would need more than that but the designs doesn't need to be changed. Me thinks you are a bit of an idiot.
Tue 27/05/03 at 18:42
Regular
My black Cube looks swish.
Tue 27/05/03 at 18:53
"!Basement Clucking!"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Alter Ego says:
> >X-Box: Need a forklift and a 16 man delivery team to manuver the
> damn >thing.
>
> Thats funny I am sure I carried it on my own with a bag in one hand?!
> The White House would need more than that but the designs doesn't need
> to be changed. Me thinks you are a bit of an idiot.

Me thinks you take things a bit too literaly and fail to read between the lines, no matter.
Tue 27/05/03 at 18:58
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Heh if they ditch the GC then I will not be a happy bunny. Seeing as they said it would last until 2008, then 2005. And now it looks like it'll end next year.

F... that.
Tue 27/05/03 at 18:58
Regular
They won't.
Tue 27/05/03 at 19:03
Regular
"Otaku"
If any company can be blamed for irreversible damage of the industry then look no further than Sony and it's Playstation.

Sure, retailers love Sony 'cause they can easily shift the overpriced units on the back of the GTA series and a few other games. They proclaim the massive back catalogue, and forget that a good 70-80% of it is pure junk and worthy only of expensive drinks coasters.

I think any retailer who drops support for the Gamecube is making a serious mistake in the long term because their beloved PS2 is showing it's age.

What was the last truly excellent game to come from Sony themselves ? Damned if I know....and the exclusivity of the GTA Series runs out this Christmas, as well as the competition from the multi format True Crime and a string of titles.

Sony have become predictable now, and that makes them beatable. Don't assume Microsoft and Nintendo have given up the race yet.

On another note the image of Nintendo is more down to the retailers themselves and not Nintendo, but hey, it's their sales that suffer for it.

Similarly this idea that the Playstation is a "mature" platform. Erm...don't think so. Kidstation more like, with most of the BBFC rated games appealing to the kids who want them to look - in theory - 'cool'. Ahem.... anyhone who discounts the Gamecube for it's colour isn't mature anyway, and it is a pretty tired argument, as are the Xbox size/weight jokes. Interestingly enough these comments about the two consoles generally come from "mature" Sony owners.

Strange that....
Tue 27/05/03 at 19:03
"!Basement Clucking!"
they better not considering i JUST ordered one.
Tue 27/05/03 at 19:15
Regular
Alter Ego wrote:
> they better not considering i JUST ordered one.

They won't.

This is Nintendo we're talking about, they've got the cash to continue supposrting the console. Have you seen the release list?

WOW is all I can say.
Tue 27/05/03 at 19:17
Regular
They aren't going to. If sony want to do it fine.
But if microsoft the X-box would be deemed a disaster if they gave up on it quickly for a newer console, same for the cube.
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.