GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo in deep water"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 26/05/03 at 21:56
Regular
Nintendo's share price is falling faster than a leaf in autumn. Why? The industry is pointing the finger at the poor sales of the Gamecube, citing all the surplus stock sitting on the warehouse shelves.

Nintendo are a big company, of course, but they are pretty worried about the fairly hefty fall in their company's profits by about 37 percent. Even their usual fallback on the handheld market is now being threatened by Sony's new handheld Playstation, currently being readied for release over the next year, and their Pokemon franchise, which is slowing down of late.

The news is that they want to ditch the Cube and try again, but doing this would drastically affect their company image. This was a company founded on trust, when they took back faulty NES consoles without arguement and replaced them with new ones in Japan it made their sales jump through the roof.

Whatever way they decide to stay afloat, it looks bad for the true gamers who were hoping and believing that there could be room for 3 consoles in the market. E3 showed that some companies are cutting back again on their Gamecube titles, despite earlier efforts from Nintendo to gain support from big players like EA Games. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.
Page:
Tue 27/05/03 at 15:56
Regular
Goatboy wrote:
> Tiltawhirl wrote:
> I was talking about peoples opinions on which console has the best
> games.
> --
>
> Fair enough.
> But doesn't the fact that sales are not too good indicate that the
> games aren't that popular outside of loyal Nintendo fans?

Not that they aren't popular, just that they are unheard of. And many people will dismiss them before having played them.
Tue 27/05/03 at 16:32
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Whether you believe it or not, Nintendo have an image that they'll never be able to shake - they make games for kids. No amount of Resident Evil games or blood-encrusted beat 'em ups will be able to change this in the eyes of Joe Public. I mean, just look at it for God's sake. It looks like a toy.
Tue 27/05/03 at 16:41
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Snuggly's right. In a way.

Nintendo have to realise that they can't just design things with bright colours and hope that it'll sell any more. And it's sad that I'm having to say such a thing, as no matter how "colourful and kiddy" Nintendo games look, I can't help but feel lucky to own the ones that I have purchased.

It's just, that in the eyes of the public, Nintendo and Mario are made for children, while Sony and GTA are for the more "mature" than the rest of us. And although this statement isn't necessarily in any way true, it's one that so many people are saying these days, and it's something Nintendo really have to address.

I like my Gamecube, a lot, but Nintendo need to get with the times and realise that price-drops and advertising sells a console, and not arrogant excluding (UK releases) and ignoring the public's demands.
Tue 27/05/03 at 18:09
Regular
"everyone says it"
Seriously. I could design a console in a 3D package that looks better than all the three on the market at the moment.

Nintendo are dying from the hardware age. Its a sad but true fact. And its Microsoft's fault. As I predicted. They haven't been good for the games market. Not one bit.
Tue 27/05/03 at 18:19
Regular
"Ghost Mutt"
I could design a consle with crayons on newspaper that looks better than all the consoles on the market. Blind. Using only my bum cheeks.
Tue 27/05/03 at 18:20
Regular
"bit of a brain"
You used to draw the adidas symbol wrong.
And now you do art.
How I weep.
Tue 27/05/03 at 18:22
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Judah Ben-Hur wrote:
> I could design a consle with crayons on newspaper that looks better
> than all the consoles on the market. Blind. Using only my bum cheeks.

No JBH. That *is* your bum cheeks.
Tue 27/05/03 at 18:24
Regular
The cube doesn't look like a toy at all look at the ps1 even.
Tue 27/05/03 at 18:25
Regular
"the burning sky"
Er-no, i need to talk to you about something on MSN, involving somesort of DVD and a recent film *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*
Tue 27/05/03 at 18:27
Regular
"bit of a brain"
You are all needing to be ween.
Analyst partie all around.
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.