GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I have grown older. They have grown colder."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 27/10/01 at 16:08
Regular
I am finding myself playing less and less video games.

Gaming is no longer the biggest activity I do now, and sadly I think that being a lazy sixteen year old is.

Why? Why have I turned into this stereotypical teenager, who eats and sleeps and attempts to finish homework at the last minute, when five years ago I did it as soon as I got home and then went and played the Super Nintendo until supper and bedtime.

Its not because I don't want to play the games that are released at the moment, its the fact that they aren't to me what they used to be. I don't really look forward to coming home and playing a game anymore, not like I did those years ago.

What is it about the games that has done this?

Could it simply be just the appeal? The fact that not as many games are directed at the specific sixteen year old age group? That is what I would like to think, and then I can have some hope into thinking that in a few years time I will be able to play games till my heart is content they are what they used to be.

Its not though is it. As I unpack every single one of my SNES and NES games, looking through the manual and having a few minute go I release what is missing from the modern games. Its not appeal, because hell I actually began to play Marble Madness and TimeLord and couldn't put them down. Its not me, the fact that I can't be bothered anymore.

Its the simplicity. The old games were basic and simple. Look back at them, I held up the Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Land 3 boxes side by side. Looking at just the screenshots, nothing to do with the graphics (well not to this point) and I just preferred and wanted to play the NES classic.

That is the reason I am not picking the controller of the floor anymore, I still know my facts and read all the news and gossip for gaming, and yes I play most of the games that are released, but at the same time I time thinking I don't really want to be playing this.

Its sad. But sadly true.

Where have the simple games gone? The last game that grabbed me, huh... Goldeneye. When was that? huh... 1996. It was simply made, guns, guards and basically although not visually a simple environment.

Games ain't what they used to be. That's my opinion until I play something that makes me put down the Super Mario Land3 box that remains in my left hand.

Maybe its because as my dad would say I have a simple mind, Lynard Skynard would say be a simple man, all I would say is I want simple games.

Thanks
Joby
Sun 28/10/01 at 15:12
Regular
"Wasting away"
I believe the same, there are moments when no longer can you be bothered to build that empiror and destroy the opposition over a 30 hour battle, nor do you wish to sit there for half an hour trying to move one character from A to B. It just isn't any fun and although I doubt it has decreased the sales, it has decreased my playing time.

Most games seem to have less reply value and once you've complete it, no longer is there that buzz when you first play on them and no longer do you have that satisfaction. But maybe it's because we're all getting older and we know now that Santa doesn't exist nor does the Easter Bunny and it doesn't hold the same excitment anymore.

Nicely wrote Joby and nice to see you back.

*Whisper* Oh and SR give him a GAD to keep him here.
Sun 28/10/01 at 14:54
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
I know what you mean. You like games and but you get the feeling you're only playing them to relieve boredom or to pass the time. Whereas before you got excited and playing you're favourite game was the best thing in the world.

Certain games always bring the good feeling back, in my case Jet Set Radio. Fun, simple and cool.

You are not the only one who is feeling "down" about games. The next few months will be hell as we all wait for the next gen console that we have faith in.
Sun 28/10/01 at 13:56
Regular
"everyone says it"
SHEEPY wrote:
> Why? Why have I turned into this stereotypical teenager, who eats and sleeps and
> attempts to finish homework at the last minute, when five years ago I did it as
> soon as I got home and then went and played games.

Thats me :-)

Exactly
> the same... it just happens. Even if I wanted to I have no time for games...
> and now in my spare times I play music and try to write lyrics :-D

Yeah. Somebody who knows exactly what is happening. Its strange though ain't in Sheepy.

Really strange.
Sun 28/10/01 at 13:43
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Why? Why have I turned into this stereotypical teenager, who eats and sleeps and attempts to finish homework at the last minute, when five years ago I did it as soon as I got home and then went and played games.

Thats me :-)

Exactly the same... it just happens. Even if I wanted to I have no time for games... and now in my spare times I play music and try to write lyrics :-D
Sun 28/10/01 at 11:06
"possibly impossible"
er-no wrote:
> Cooky wrote:
> Nice to see that like me your waiting for the Gamecube to
> bring your gaming
> habbits back to life!

I said before and I will say
> it again:

Please. Gamecube. Hurry.

Super Monkey ball is going to suit you down to the ground. I know that I'll be getting it!
Sun 28/10/01 at 01:52
Regular
I seem to do less console gaming now.

Pc gaming is mainly where all my time goes. Sure, lately i have been pumping a bit of time into Paper Mario, but 90% of my time has gone into Championship Manager 01/02. I have spent near 70 hours in two weeks on that game. I love championship manager. like it says on the box, it is the most important GAME of my life.
Sat 27/10/01 at 21:00
Regular
Stryke wrote:
"Hm, how old are you then Grix?"

Seventeen. Grew up on the C64 and Megadrive.
Sat 27/10/01 at 20:26
Regular
"everyone says it"
Strafex wrote:
> Sega seem to be doing their best to deliver a nice old school style to
> games.

Games like Monkey Ball and Crazy Taxi are examples of games that don't
> have a big plot.
They're just a level, a main objective and their's no sort of
> walk through whatsoever!

It's games where skill is involved, rather than
> learning what to do, that makes them so addictive.

That is very true in the case of marble madness.... nice comment Dan.
Sat 27/10/01 at 20:25
Regular
Sega seem to be doing their best to deliver a nice old school style to games.

Games like Monkey Ball and Crazy Taxi are examples of games that don't have a big plot.
They're just a level, a main objective and their's no sort of walk through whatsoever!

It's games where skill is involved, rather than learning what to do, that makes them so addictive.
Sat 27/10/01 at 20:22
Regular
"everyone says it"
Cooky wrote:
> Nice to see that like me your waiting for the Gamecube to bring your gaming
> habbits back to life!

I said before and I will say it again:

Please. Gamecube. Hurry.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.