GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I have grown older. They have grown colder."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 27/10/01 at 16:08
Regular
I am finding myself playing less and less video games.

Gaming is no longer the biggest activity I do now, and sadly I think that being a lazy sixteen year old is.

Why? Why have I turned into this stereotypical teenager, who eats and sleeps and attempts to finish homework at the last minute, when five years ago I did it as soon as I got home and then went and played the Super Nintendo until supper and bedtime.

Its not because I don't want to play the games that are released at the moment, its the fact that they aren't to me what they used to be. I don't really look forward to coming home and playing a game anymore, not like I did those years ago.

What is it about the games that has done this?

Could it simply be just the appeal? The fact that not as many games are directed at the specific sixteen year old age group? That is what I would like to think, and then I can have some hope into thinking that in a few years time I will be able to play games till my heart is content they are what they used to be.

Its not though is it. As I unpack every single one of my SNES and NES games, looking through the manual and having a few minute go I release what is missing from the modern games. Its not appeal, because hell I actually began to play Marble Madness and TimeLord and couldn't put them down. Its not me, the fact that I can't be bothered anymore.

Its the simplicity. The old games were basic and simple. Look back at them, I held up the Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Land 3 boxes side by side. Looking at just the screenshots, nothing to do with the graphics (well not to this point) and I just preferred and wanted to play the NES classic.

That is the reason I am not picking the controller of the floor anymore, I still know my facts and read all the news and gossip for gaming, and yes I play most of the games that are released, but at the same time I time thinking I don't really want to be playing this.

Its sad. But sadly true.

Where have the simple games gone? The last game that grabbed me, huh... Goldeneye. When was that? huh... 1996. It was simply made, guns, guards and basically although not visually a simple environment.

Games ain't what they used to be. That's my opinion until I play something that makes me put down the Super Mario Land3 box that remains in my left hand.

Maybe its because as my dad would say I have a simple mind, Lynard Skynard would say be a simple man, all I would say is I want simple games.

Thanks
Joby
Sat 27/10/01 at 16:08
Regular
"everyone says it"
I am finding myself playing less and less video games.

Gaming is no longer the biggest activity I do now, and sadly I think that being a lazy sixteen year old is.

Why? Why have I turned into this stereotypical teenager, who eats and sleeps and attempts to finish homework at the last minute, when five years ago I did it as soon as I got home and then went and played the Super Nintendo until supper and bedtime.

Its not because I don't want to play the games that are released at the moment, its the fact that they aren't to me what they used to be. I don't really look forward to coming home and playing a game anymore, not like I did those years ago.

What is it about the games that has done this?

Could it simply be just the appeal? The fact that not as many games are directed at the specific sixteen year old age group? That is what I would like to think, and then I can have some hope into thinking that in a few years time I will be able to play games till my heart is content they are what they used to be.

Its not though is it. As I unpack every single one of my SNES and NES games, looking through the manual and having a few minute go I release what is missing from the modern games. Its not appeal, because hell I actually began to play Marble Madness and TimeLord and couldn't put them down. Its not me, the fact that I can't be bothered anymore.

Its the simplicity. The old games were basic and simple. Look back at them, I held up the Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Land 3 boxes side by side. Looking at just the screenshots, nothing to do with the graphics (well not to this point) and I just preferred and wanted to play the NES classic.

That is the reason I am not picking the controller of the floor anymore, I still know my facts and read all the news and gossip for gaming, and yes I play most of the games that are released, but at the same time I time thinking I don't really want to be playing this.

Its sad. But sadly true.

Where have the simple games gone? The last game that grabbed me, huh... Goldeneye. When was that? huh... 1996. It was simply made, guns, guards and basically although not visually a simple environment.

Games ain't what they used to be. That's my opinion until I play something that makes me put down the Super Mario Land3 box that remains in my left hand.

Maybe its because as my dad would say I have a simple mind, Lynard Skynard would say be a simple man, all I would say is I want simple games.

Thanks
Joby
Sat 27/10/01 at 16:12
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Simple games are always best. Tetris. :D

Simple. Fun. Amazing.
Good post er-no.
Sat 27/10/01 at 16:32
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Maybe, but then again, don't you find that as you get older, everything seems to excite you less?

The wise man tends not to dance in the street.
Sat 27/10/01 at 16:40
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
I too have found that I am "outgrowing" games...

It just seems to be a hobby that people with lots of time on their hands enjoy. Unfortunately, as I begin my final year of school I find that time is no longer a virtue that I have... indeed, with the pressures of exams, university interviews and the rest, my time spent gaming per week can drop as low as zero!

In fact, I find my focus on games shifting from long, epics, like Code Veronica, to much more arcadey, fast paced gamnes that you can play for five minutes and feel like you've hand your weekly "fix".

Notice I use the word "fix"... gaming is like a drug- hugely enjoyable, bad for you in excess, and something very misunderstood by society. Maybe that's why, however hard I try, I still read these forums despite not having played a game all week!

Amazing as it is, despite my lack of actual games playing, I seem to have been drawn in by this underworld to such a level as to be unable to leave the forums alone!

Gaming is my drug... I don't see me withdrawing from it easily.
Sat 27/10/01 at 16:43
Regular
We're just not playing the right games... same with films and music. If you're getting bored of it, it's because you're not looking in the right places.

At the moment, my favourite game is Final Fight on the Mega CD. Just big and ugly stupid fun.

And if you haven't played it, go buy a Dreamcast and Skies of Arcadia. If that doesn't put you back into gaming, nothing will.
Sat 27/10/01 at 17:49
Regular
"everyone says it"
SonicRav wrote:
Gaming is my drug... I don't see me withdrawing from it
> easily.

When you find an addictive game.. its so bloody hard to put down.

Sonic. Get out an old console, and some old classics.

Then you shall be fixed for life.
Sat 27/10/01 at 17:55
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I agree with Grix... Skies of Arcadia is magic!

I don't play games so much any more.... I'm just waiting for Gameube.
Sat 27/10/01 at 18:58
Regular
Hm, how old are you then Grix?
Sat 27/10/01 at 19:10
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
er-no, I know how you feel!

There's few games released nowadays that have that, "I WANT THAT GAME SOOOO MUCH, I'LL DIE IF I DON'T GET IT FEEL TO THEM!"

There is one game that's starting to have that effect on me though, and that's the imminent release of Shenmue 2! And i'm pretty sure that when I get that i'm gonna be playing that solid. Not many other games at the moment have had me sit there for hours on end, playing them, only to get up from them when my parents shout at me that dinners ready or something.

Also I think the release of the Gamecube might put a bit of that gaming spirit back into my veins! When I get my hands on Rogue Leader, Wave Race, Mario Sunshine, i'm pretty sure i'm gonna go back to my childhood and remember how great games are!

There is one game at the moment which does take up quite a bit of my time, and that's Unreal Tourney. That only takes up my time because whenever I go into the labs at uni, people are always playing it, and I can't help myself from joining and then by winning by huge leads. It's got to the point now, whereby when I enter the labs people say "Oh no! Here comes The Slayer!" Heh, it's quite ammusing hearing people say that!

:)
Sat 27/10/01 at 19:21
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
Exactly like me there er-no to the very sense of the word, I too find myself not playing games like I used to, they just don't appeal to me like how I remember they did in the younger years of my gaming life. I havn't played a game for a while now the last game that really hooked me was Zelda: Majoras Mask but before that there was nothing but a huge gap of me not using my consoles.

I won GAD not so long ago but have yet to claim my prize due to the fact that theres nothing I want (I may get this Skies of Arcadia you all seem to be on about). The only aspect that appeals to me in games now is playing in multiplayer with friends and drinking, apart from that though I'm waiting for the Gamecube to hopefully suck me back into the wonder of games, the novelty of a new game is no longer there....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.