GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I have grown older. They have grown colder."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 27/10/01 at 16:08
Regular
I am finding myself playing less and less video games.

Gaming is no longer the biggest activity I do now, and sadly I think that being a lazy sixteen year old is.

Why? Why have I turned into this stereotypical teenager, who eats and sleeps and attempts to finish homework at the last minute, when five years ago I did it as soon as I got home and then went and played the Super Nintendo until supper and bedtime.

Its not because I don't want to play the games that are released at the moment, its the fact that they aren't to me what they used to be. I don't really look forward to coming home and playing a game anymore, not like I did those years ago.

What is it about the games that has done this?

Could it simply be just the appeal? The fact that not as many games are directed at the specific sixteen year old age group? That is what I would like to think, and then I can have some hope into thinking that in a few years time I will be able to play games till my heart is content they are what they used to be.

Its not though is it. As I unpack every single one of my SNES and NES games, looking through the manual and having a few minute go I release what is missing from the modern games. Its not appeal, because hell I actually began to play Marble Madness and TimeLord and couldn't put them down. Its not me, the fact that I can't be bothered anymore.

Its the simplicity. The old games were basic and simple. Look back at them, I held up the Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Land 3 boxes side by side. Looking at just the screenshots, nothing to do with the graphics (well not to this point) and I just preferred and wanted to play the NES classic.

That is the reason I am not picking the controller of the floor anymore, I still know my facts and read all the news and gossip for gaming, and yes I play most of the games that are released, but at the same time I time thinking I don't really want to be playing this.

Its sad. But sadly true.

Where have the simple games gone? The last game that grabbed me, huh... Goldeneye. When was that? huh... 1996. It was simply made, guns, guards and basically although not visually a simple environment.

Games ain't what they used to be. That's my opinion until I play something that makes me put down the Super Mario Land3 box that remains in my left hand.

Maybe its because as my dad would say I have a simple mind, Lynard Skynard would say be a simple man, all I would say is I want simple games.

Thanks
Joby
Sun 28/10/01 at 20:06
Regular
"Fat Red-Capped Vale"
er-no wrote:
> The R@ckstar wrote:
Ahh.. nonono.. Secret of Mana was the
> best
>
> game ever to grace the SNES. Seriously.

Er-No, what is Secret Of
>
> Mana?

Heh... its truelly the rarest RPG on the SNES, a three player adventure
> in the Zelda style, three of you helping each other, levels, weapons, bosses,
> huge worlds, this game made me continue gaming. I loved it.

Get it. Get a
> multitap. Get two friends. Sorted.

There's a multitap for the Snes? Amazing! I don't have a Snes but I can easily get hold of an emulator and the game. Oh, do you have to have 3 players or not by the way? If you do, then I kind of have a very big problem, game-playing wise! Thanks again. R@ckstar.
Sun 28/10/01 at 19:50
Regular
"everyone says it"
The R@ckstar wrote:
Ahh.. nonono.. Secret of Mana was the
> best

Er-No, what is Secret Of
> Mana?

Heh... its truelly the rarest RPG on the SNES, a three player adventure in the Zelda style, three of you helping each other, levels, weapons, bosses, huge worlds, this game made me continue gaming. I loved it.

Get it. Get a multitap. Get two friends. Sorted.
Sun 28/10/01 at 19:48
Regular
"Fat Red-Capped Vale"
er-no wrote:
> Starlight wrote:
> lol, speaking of which I havn't played any of my 'new'
> consoles yet today I was
> playing my SNES and loved it! Ah the joys of
> Street Fighter 2 and Mario kart.

That's great news, Starlight. I never had a SNES, Mega Drive or any such "advanced" console (for it's time). Shock horror! Instead, I had an Amiga. Boy, did that have some great games. I love to reminisc of old past-times.

*Reminisces of old past-times*

God, that felt great. It really is truly refreshing to hear you two speaking of old consoles.

Ahh.. nonono.. Secret of Mana was the best

Er-No, what is Secret Of Mana?
Sun 28/10/01 at 19:43
Regular
"everyone says it"
Starlight wrote:
> lol, speaking of which I havn't played any of my 'new' consoles yet today I was
> playing my SNES and loved it! Ah the joys of Street Fighter 2 and Mario kart.

Ahh.. nonono.. Secret of Mana was the best game ever to grace the SNES. Seriously.
Sun 28/10/01 at 19:40
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
lol, speaking of which I havn't played any of my 'new' consoles yet today I was playing my SNES and loved it! Ah the joys of Street Fighter 2 and Mario kart.
Sun 28/10/01 at 19:40
Regular
"Fat Red-Capped Vale"
er-no wrote:
> The R@ckstar wrote:
Sorry if I seemed a little lame, offering advice to
> someone considerably
> older than me.

Mate, its not about my image, or
> the girls, and how do you know my name is Joby? Nor is it the social life, I
> have a great one of them, plenty of mates, in the both sex category. This is how
> it has always been, its just the games nowadays... :(

Your advice is good,
> but I cannot relate to it.

Its to do with the games, I am actually playing my
> NES now, GauntletII.

Good for you mate with the social life and all. I knew your name was Joby because at the end of your post, it said "Thanks for reading - Joby". I mean, what else would Joby mean? In reference to your SNES bit at the end, good for you mate. It's refreshing to see the old consoles back onto the pitch for a little bit. It's always fun to bring them back out of retirement and blow off some of that November dust isn't it?
Sun 28/10/01 at 19:36
Regular
"everyone says it"
The R@ckstar wrote:
Sorry if I seemed a little lame, offering advice to someone considerably
> older than me.

Mate, its not about my image, or the girls, and how do you know my name is Joby? Nor is it the social life, I have a great one of them, plenty of mates, in the both sex category. This is how it has always been, its just the games nowadays... :(

Your advice is good, but I cannot relate to it.

Its to do with the games, I am actually playing my NES now, GauntletII.
Sun 28/10/01 at 19:31
Regular
"Fat Red-Capped Vale"
Ah, Er-No, it looks like you're doing what a lot of people like you may do. You are growing up Joby, you are getting into different things. You meet more people, do more active things (for some of us anyway) and generally, a rift generates between you and your forsaken console.

No need to worry Er-No (and I doubt you will). Let me tell you a little story based on my own personal experience (even though I'm probably a few years younger than you!). It all began when I was 12 and edging towards 13. I loved games, but then one day, it just changed. I was self conscious about my image, I had an interest in girls, which may have overshadowed gaming at some points in my life. I have never been one to be popular, and don't care about popularity. I will always have my trusty Playstation's, N64 and Dreamcast's sitting there, (hopefully not) collecting dust through the annels of time.

Of course, I still care about my image, but being single, young and free has it's advantages over the opposite. On Saturday's, I love to wake up, browse the net, whilst playing my N64, which is closely nestled next to my TV on the workbench on which I type this very post. It's almost what I live for. I basically have a love affair with gaming. Of course, I want a social life, but games will always be reliable, never cancel plans and always be there in your time of need, friends won't always be.

Sorry if I seemed a little lame, offering advice to someone considerably older than me.
Sun 28/10/01 at 19:01
Regular
"everyone says it"
Dringo wrote:
> Its odd i am the same this time last year i would be playing Mario paper non
> stop but it came out this year and i couldn't care.

But it isn't due to our
> changes in attitudes as we grow up nor is it about the games changing they have
> changed 4 the better but if you want to know what it is mr no sir?

Games have not changed for the better. They have changed for the more money for the companies that make them.

Sickening. Not better!
Sun 28/10/01 at 15:35
Regular
Its odd i am the same this time last year i would be playing Mario paper non stop but it came out this year and i couldn't care.

But it isn't due to our changes in attitudes as we grow up nor is it about the games changing they have changed 4 the better but if you want to know what it is mr no sir?

Busy i am now working all the time in the evening, school is physically draining, my love life is picking up pace and my free time is normally spent gaming but... what free time?

I must say though i have been playing smash brothers alot since i got it (cheers Tony).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.