GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Grix Thraves vs. Gamecube"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 24/10/01 at 20:50
Regular
Today I played a Gamecube. It was fun. Then I went home.

First thing that really hits you is the size of the controller. It's tiny. Really. Think of the PS2 controller. Now make it smaller. No, smaller again.

The thing is though your hand fits... well, my hand fits it superbly. The clicking L and R buttons, great yeah... the d pad is again tiny, and the bloody Z button is horrible. Should have been put more towards the middle. Or on the back.

Anywho, I played Wave Race, and that's all. Looks lovely, nice visuals... really realistic...

And that's about it. You can tell it's a first generation game, because it's all mouth and no trousers. Looks the stuff, but it's for realism freaks only. No real gameplay to it.

Saying that though, I only played single player, so that's just half the story. And everything being in Japanese may have had an effect too. Full colour, for those who said about it being in black and white on some tvs.

Not disappointed about anything with the actual console. Loads fit and fast, and the controller is great.

Waverace however, sucks. Sorry, but it does. Strafex can symphasise here when I say about it being too realistic and not tense enough... mind you, I've never liked racing games, pointless to me.

And that's about it. You've probably learnt nothing.
Thu 25/10/01 at 13:41
Regular
"not dead"
WÚÛkiee M¯nßÜÄR wrote:
> Meka_Dragon wrote:
> it's Luigi's MAnsion that I want to
> try out,
> especially considering it's supposed to be THE game to give the
> controller
> a good work out

Okay, don't take this as a dig, because it's not... but isn't
> designing a controller to suit a game or vice-versa a potentially bad idea?

The game wasn't specifically designed to use the controller, or the controller only geared towards this game, it's just the way that it has worked out. It happens to be a game that requires use of both analogue sticks, so you get used to it.

Or something that makes more sense.

Damn, too busy to explain what I mean properly.
Thu 25/10/01 at 13:31
Regular
"Back For Good"
WÚÛkiee M¯nßÜÄR wrote:
>I bought an ASCII Resident Evil pad for my PSone years
>ago; it's great for those
>games, but hopeless for anything else.

I remeber that :-)
kinda went out of date when the analog sticks came out :-(
Thu 25/10/01 at 13:22
"High polygon count"
Dr Gonzo wrote:
> Nintendo implemented an organize
> and civilized pre-order system to that people wouldn't have to sit outside in
> the dark for eight hours to get a console. That's a good thing.

And something which Sony UK did, but were ridiculed for in some quarters. :-)
"High polygon count"
Meka_Dragon wrote:
> it's Luigi's MAnsion that I want to
> try out, especially considering it's supposed to be THE game to give the
> controller a good work out

Okay, don't take this as a dig, because it's not... but isn't designing a controller to suit a game or vice-versa a potentially bad idea?

I bought an ASCII Resident Evil pad for my PSone years ago; it's great for those games, but hopeless for anything else.

Maybe it's just me, but a controller should be very generalised, and not tailored to any specific type of game.

> and get you really familiar with the layout.

And that's what it's all about really - being used to the layout; I'm sure that's got much more to do with PlayStation owners views on Nintendo pads (and vice versa) than either controller actually *being* crap!
"High polygon count"
Mr Nice Guy wrote:
> has it put anyone off from buying the damn thing?

It hasn't put me off, but I never planned to get one at launch anyway; I'll be waiting for a few months at least.
Thu 25/10/01 at 12:55
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I'd have said the Euopean Launch will have about 20 titles... development is easy, and porting is even easier...

Hopefully they'll forget the Germans, French and Italians and release a UK-Only GC... so we get it quicker. :D
Thu 25/10/01 at 01:59
Regular
Mr Nice Guy wrote:
> So, as GameCube are only releasing 3 games at their releases and most of you are
> saying just how bad they are, has it put anyone off from buying the damn thing?

That was just for the Japenese launch. The Europeon launch will have at least 10 games.
Thu 25/10/01 at 00:55
Regular
pb wrote:
> Hi people, remember me!?

err someone tell a staff member that a newbie has a gold name!

hee hee hee
Thu 25/10/01 at 00:46
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Over 700,000 pre-orders taken in the US a month before launch and before the huge PR campaign takes off = good sign. That's the initial shipment sold out without the media friendly queue's Sony subjects its customers to.

That said, some retailers are refusing to take pre-orders (Wal-Mart and Target being the notable big boys) so there will be some of the nasty queuing, but not at Nintendo's request. I hate the way that the Japanese launch was deemed a failure because of the lack of queues - why? Nintendo implemented an organize and civilized pre-order system to that people wouldn't have to sit outside in the dark for eight hours to get a console. That's a good thing.

Other silly criticism of the Japanese launch - they didn't sell out. What? They didn't rush the launch and disappoint shoppers - the gits! They actually managed to accurately judge demand, again a good thing. Sales were down - but then again they haven't released a killer app yet - and they have a number in the bag. Mario Sunshine, Resident Evil Zero and Zelda come to mind - plus what's going on behind closed doors.

It's just a pity they could get the US launch right. They will sell out there - they HAVE sold out there to all intensive purposes. It means all the retails are ripping people off with needlessly expensive bundles (but a fully fledged rant on that later - wait to see if www.gamestop.com can manage to annoy me in any further ways to you get the full story :)... or should that be :(?

And what's all this about there only being three good games - yeah, for the Japanese launch, and that's three more than the PS2 had. By UK launch we'll have:

Luigi's Mansion: looks like a nice way of tiding one's self over until a proper Mario platformer with a familiar face. Totally fresh and supposedly good fun.

Super Monkey Ball: the pick of the launch. Again, a fresh title, not a rehash. Again, good fun, but this time a puzzler - can't wait.

Wave Race: funky update of an N64 classic with top-drawer graphics - what else can I ask for?

Rouge Squadron 2: Star Wars with droolingly good visuals, not sure how it'll play though - ask me in about 4 weeks when I take deliver of my US console.

Pikmin: an original Shiggsy series - how long is it since we've had one of these? As far as I remember the N64 didn't even have one - for that alone this is a Must Buy.

Super Smash Bros Melee: a cult N64 favourite, some of the best graphics you've ever seen adorning a console title (N.B. things don't need to be realistic to be good graphics), and a huge pile of Nintendo favourite characters.

Oh, and then there's Mario Sunshine and Zelda to look forward to in the autumn, plus the Resident Evil games (plural) plus a myriad of other titles in development behind closed doors. Looking rather good, don't you think?

And just for completeness sake - the black and white thing - that happens when you try and playback an NTSC signal (like they have in Japan and the US) on a non-NTSC compatible TV or through the wrong sort of connecter. Most TVs are now NTSC compatible and as long as you don't use an Ariel lead you should be all right. I've had plenty of experience with this in with my Home Entertainment obsession and DVD players :)
Thu 25/10/01 at 00:16
Regular
"Wasting away"
So, as GameCube are only releasing 3 games at their releases and most of you are saying just how bad they are, has it put anyone off from buying the damn thing? The thought has never in crossed my mind to get one, I'd prefer an X-Box anyday I'm just praying they bring out MGS2 for it. As for the GC, well I'm not sure whether I should comment on that as I might get banned...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.