GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Grix Thraves vs. Gamecube"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 24/10/01 at 20:50
Regular
Today I played a Gamecube. It was fun. Then I went home.

First thing that really hits you is the size of the controller. It's tiny. Really. Think of the PS2 controller. Now make it smaller. No, smaller again.

The thing is though your hand fits... well, my hand fits it superbly. The clicking L and R buttons, great yeah... the d pad is again tiny, and the bloody Z button is horrible. Should have been put more towards the middle. Or on the back.

Anywho, I played Wave Race, and that's all. Looks lovely, nice visuals... really realistic...

And that's about it. You can tell it's a first generation game, because it's all mouth and no trousers. Looks the stuff, but it's for realism freaks only. No real gameplay to it.

Saying that though, I only played single player, so that's just half the story. And everything being in Japanese may have had an effect too. Full colour, for those who said about it being in black and white on some tvs.

Not disappointed about anything with the actual console. Loads fit and fast, and the controller is great.

Waverace however, sucks. Sorry, but it does. Strafex can symphasise here when I say about it being too realistic and not tense enough... mind you, I've never liked racing games, pointless to me.

And that's about it. You've probably learnt nothing.
Thu 25/10/01 at 23:55
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
Mr Nice Guy wrote:
> *Cough* GameCube will fail and has very little games which makes it even more
> awful then it already is *Cough*

*cough* Xbox is complete and utter rubbish and has the WORST games line-up ever to be recorded in gaming history *cough*.

SHOCKY
Thu 25/10/01 at 23:47
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Grix Thraves wrote:
Waverace however, sucks.
> Sorry, but it does. Strafex can symphasise here when I say about it being too
> realistic and not tense enough... mind you, I've never liked racing games,
> pointless to me.

And that's about it. You've probably learnt nothing.

Well I wouldn't go that far. We've learnt that you don't approve of Wave Race too much, a least that's something. :-D
Thu 25/10/01 at 23:41
Regular
"Wasting away"
*Cough* GameCube will fail and has very little games which makes it even more awful then it already is *Cough*
Thu 25/10/01 at 23:38
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
Dringo wrote:
> I have played Luigi's mansion and it is blimmin brilliant cant speak fo wave
> race but NGC gave it 91%

Luigi's Mansion has supposedly got a very bad lifespan. Apparantly, it took each member of NGC mag 8 hours at the maximum to complete it with almost every secret unlocked and done. But they said that playing is a good enough reason to buy it.

So I'll still stick to Luigi's Mansion, Wave Race and SMB thanks.

SHOCKY
Thu 25/10/01 at 23:33
Regular
"Back For Good"
I almost bought a gamecube magazine the other day, you know see what's heading it's way and that, Pokemon CD detoured my attenion though ;-)
Thu 25/10/01 at 23:26
Regular
I have played Luigi's mansion and it is blimmin brilliant cant speak fo wave race but NGC gave it 91%
Thu 25/10/01 at 22:55
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Grix, one question. Does the GC make a lot of noise with the sound turned down low (i.e. the fans and hardware)? Just a friend said it was quite annoying as it was quite loud.
Thu 25/10/01 at 22:31
I havent played on a Gamecube yet, but can't wait to do so, I think it will rule.

Wav Race looks really good, but if its isn't ur thing then I can se ewhy you might not be into it.

Luigis Mansion looks too babyish for my liking though.

YOU CANNOT ARGUE FOR I AM THE KING!
Thu 25/10/01 at 22:18
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Lol, I played a GC then I went home :o)

:oD

Right... I don't know. And I haven't learnt anything . :D
Thu 25/10/01 at 21:27
Regular
Grix Thraves wrote:

Anywho, I
> played Wave Race, and that's all. Looks lovely, nice visuals... really
> realistic...

And that's about it. You can tell it's a first generation game,
> because it's all mouth and no trousers. Looks the stuff, but it's for realism
> freaks only. No real gameplay to it.

Not disappointed about anything with the actual console.
> Loads fit and fast, and the controller is great.

Waverace however, sucks.
> Sorry, but it does. Strafex can symphasise here when I say about it being too
> realistic and not tense enough... mind you, I've never liked racing games,
> pointless to me.

Yep. I'm also more interested in the likes of Monkey Ball and Luigi's Mansion.

Wave Race is for the sort who like GT3.
Using Turbonutter's surprisingly wise words:
GT3 and Wave Race are simply not my style.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.