GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Grix Thraves vs. Gamecube"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 24/10/01 at 20:50
Regular
Today I played a Gamecube. It was fun. Then I went home.

First thing that really hits you is the size of the controller. It's tiny. Really. Think of the PS2 controller. Now make it smaller. No, smaller again.

The thing is though your hand fits... well, my hand fits it superbly. The clicking L and R buttons, great yeah... the d pad is again tiny, and the bloody Z button is horrible. Should have been put more towards the middle. Or on the back.

Anywho, I played Wave Race, and that's all. Looks lovely, nice visuals... really realistic...

And that's about it. You can tell it's a first generation game, because it's all mouth and no trousers. Looks the stuff, but it's for realism freaks only. No real gameplay to it.

Saying that though, I only played single player, so that's just half the story. And everything being in Japanese may have had an effect too. Full colour, for those who said about it being in black and white on some tvs.

Not disappointed about anything with the actual console. Loads fit and fast, and the controller is great.

Waverace however, sucks. Sorry, but it does. Strafex can symphasise here when I say about it being too realistic and not tense enough... mind you, I've never liked racing games, pointless to me.

And that's about it. You've probably learnt nothing.
Wed 24/10/01 at 20:50
Regular
Today I played a Gamecube. It was fun. Then I went home.

First thing that really hits you is the size of the controller. It's tiny. Really. Think of the PS2 controller. Now make it smaller. No, smaller again.

The thing is though your hand fits... well, my hand fits it superbly. The clicking L and R buttons, great yeah... the d pad is again tiny, and the bloody Z button is horrible. Should have been put more towards the middle. Or on the back.

Anywho, I played Wave Race, and that's all. Looks lovely, nice visuals... really realistic...

And that's about it. You can tell it's a first generation game, because it's all mouth and no trousers. Looks the stuff, but it's for realism freaks only. No real gameplay to it.

Saying that though, I only played single player, so that's just half the story. And everything being in Japanese may have had an effect too. Full colour, for those who said about it being in black and white on some tvs.

Not disappointed about anything with the actual console. Loads fit and fast, and the controller is great.

Waverace however, sucks. Sorry, but it does. Strafex can symphasise here when I say about it being too realistic and not tense enough... mind you, I've never liked racing games, pointless to me.

And that's about it. You've probably learnt nothing.
Wed 24/10/01 at 20:58
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Thanks Grix, you've just blown the "Only 3 games but 3 very good games" argument out of the water. Cheers.

I have actually been looking very hard for and signs of a GameCube ANYWHERE so I can try out this "magical" controller. As of yet, no luck, but I'll keep trying.
Wed 24/10/01 at 21:02
Regular
"not dead"
Turbonutter, your best chance would be an import store, and you might have to go ask!

I had to ask to hold the controller, and it does seem very small.

I've never been a racing fan, and didn't much like WaveRace on the N64, so I've never expected much from this, it's Luigi's MAnsion that I want to try out, especially considering it's supposed to be THE game to give the controller a good work out, and get you really familiar with the layout.
Wed 24/10/01 at 21:07
Well,if you had of heard Shigsy's speech then you'd of realised it's size.He called GC "Nintendo's new baby."
Wed 24/10/01 at 21:08
I've just read the review from Edge Magazine and NGC, and I can see a few differences and conflicting views. I, as gullible as I am, shall buy the game anyway.
Wed 24/10/01 at 21:35
Regular
I read after playing it that Edge game it seven out of ten. Pretty crap, glad I'm not the only one who thinks so.

However, Turbo, I didn't say that so you could find another little hole to have a dig at Nintys with, I said it because it's the truth.

As I said, I can't stand racing games, and GT3 stands among my most crappiest games played in previous times. Make of that what you will.
Wed 24/10/01 at 21:55
Regular
I've played Wave Race I actually thought it was frickin good, but Luigis Mansion that's a completely different story. What I thought was gonna be a boring title, turns out to be one of the best games i've played for ages, it only took me about 10 minutes to work this out.

Rogue Leader and Luigis Mansion for me on launch day.
Wed 24/10/01 at 21:57
Whereas I still haven't even looked at a Gamecube yet in physical form, let alone played the damn thing. Question: where?
Wed 24/10/01 at 22:44
"possibly impossible"
Hi people, remember me!?

I thought that Waverace was quite a nice experience, but yeah, I see where you¥re coming from Grix. Super Monkey Ball, on the other hand, is probably the best game I¥ve seen for next years UK line up, and that includes all the platforms.

Admittedly, it may not be everyone¥s cup of tea, but it looks to be a fantastic game, the animation and graphics are fantastic and there is so much depth to what at first seems to be a shallow arcade game.

Well folks, I¥ll be back to full net strength on Friday, but until then, tata!
Thu 25/10/01 at 00:09
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
When I played Luigi's Mansion about a month ago I just kept on pressing A - "Maaaaaaariooooo?!" LOL!

I didn't play Wave Race, it could be good, but you have to like it to like it!

I have Super Monkey Ball and SFA on GAD-Pre-Order, if I win again I think i'll have to get another GBA game....

I though the GC controller was too small, but me being 17-Years-Old - 6'4 - 13.5 stone with a hand span of 23cm you can see why!

I hope Blockbuster rent more games... I don't really want to but so many this time...

Game

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.