GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GAME CUBE= CRAP?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 09/06/03 at 11:27
Regular
Gamecube just doesn't provide people with enough of what they want.

People are going away from stuff like Mario now. The market has moved on, and people are now "getting used" to games like GTA-VC, The Getaway, even Quake3 and Halo. This is what many people look for now.

Both the other consoles have DVD (bigger games, and can pay DVD movies). People do want this on a console. It's handy for playing movies, since not everyone has a standalone dvd player, and even in homes with such a machine, the games console may often be kept in a different room, so the dvd capability is still useful. Even if dvd is not for you, since it's so popular, whenever there is a review of consoles, they will always say the Gamecube is not so good because "it aint got DVD".

The Gamecube is some what limited in terms of upgrades. It's 2 high speed serial sockets can't compare with the internal expansion bay of the PS2, or the USB, or FireWire. And Xbox even has a hard disc and broadband already in there.

Nintendo has the wrong image. The appearance of the unit generally is "toy like", and appears to have been designed with younger kids as the target audience.

If indeed Nintendo are/were trying to make the GC appeal to the younger audience, then they got that wrong. Everyone knows by now, that it's the older ones who are more likely to spend the money on products such as this.
Mon 09/06/03 at 18:09
Regular
ill buy it off u
Mon 09/06/03 at 18:08
Regular
Gamecube is crap! my friend at skool always has arguments over what is better PS2 or Gamecube? Maybe Gamecube has Mario Sunshine But even dat is rubbish!
Mon 09/06/03 at 17:40
Regular
"8==="
Hedfix wrote:
> Slaveunit wrote:
> I got a cube next to my ps2, and I havent played it in months.
>
> anyone want to buy it off me?
>
> Alright. 5 quid for the PS2.

Can I have the PS2 then?
Alright 10 quid (you drive a hard bargain).
Mon 09/06/03 at 12:32
Regular
"8==="
Slaveunit wrote:
> I got a cube next to my ps2, and I havent played it in months.
>
> anyone want to buy it off me?

Alright. 5 quid for the PS2.
Mon 09/06/03 at 12:31
Regular
"8==="
Go to the Nintendo forum. They've discussed Nintendo's potential 'image change' to death. Scan down the list and read what the Nintendo regulras have said.
Mon 09/06/03 at 12:30
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
I got a cube next to my ps2, and I havent played it in months.

anyone want to buy it off me?
Mon 09/06/03 at 12:27
Regular
Are there enough hardcore gamers out there buying Nintendo stuff to keep the share holders happy? If Nintendo's position should slip (from the Gamecube or GBA - note Sony have promised a similar handheld), Nintendo could be in real trouble. They may have no option to change their approach or die. But even that may not be enough. Sony and Microsoft (not to mention the PC) are already established and a "new look" Nintendo would still have to chip away at the user base of the others.
Mon 09/06/03 at 12:17
Regular
"8==="
Any hardcore gamer is going to have the latest Nintendo console alongside whatever else they own. Nintendo make quality games with the best gameplay.
Mon 09/06/03 at 12:10
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Basically, as long as Nintendo stick around and survive, I’ll be happy with the majority of whatever games they produce. I have done for the past God knows how many years.

But, there is that question about whether/where Nintendo belong in the fast-moving modern games industry, the industry that now uses hype and PR spiel to lure gamers into false ideas about great gaming instead of relying on the game being good on its on merits (The Getaway and Enter the Matrix to name but two), and Nintendo can’t really compete in that kind of industry.
Funnily enough it reminds me of Japan itself; the traditional way of life and rich culture and history (Nintendo) against the new style flashy nature of modern Japanese society (Playstation generation). Yet in Japan they still have fondness for their history, and it still has a place, so too hopefully will Nintendo.

We’ll just have to see in a few years time if the old masters are still around, either producing the same old stuff or conforming to new style gaming concepts, or if they’d have disappeared completely. Only time, or Mystic Meg, will tell.
Mon 09/06/03 at 11:51
Regular
I just have this picture of Nintendo still making games like Mario in 50 years time. Even when they announce some thing new, I am always sceptical. The new console is supposed to arrive in 2005, but I doubt we will see it until 2006. Lets just hope next time, Nintendo get it right. I was very surprised when the N64 was released. Here was a console which was a cartridge system trying to compete with a CD based system. It's not like Sony was the first. The Saturn had built in CD, and there were add on cd drives prior to that. Will there still be a Mario game on the new Nintendo console? I think Nintendo have got backed into a corner in this respect. They have made Mario games for so long, if they stop making them, people will point the finger and say "look, they have axed Mario!" On the other hand, if they keep on remaking the games on each new console, people will say "same old Nintendo, nothing new".

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.