GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GAME CUBE= CRAP?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 09/06/03 at 11:27
Regular
Gamecube just doesn't provide people with enough of what they want.

People are going away from stuff like Mario now. The market has moved on, and people are now "getting used" to games like GTA-VC, The Getaway, even Quake3 and Halo. This is what many people look for now.

Both the other consoles have DVD (bigger games, and can pay DVD movies). People do want this on a console. It's handy for playing movies, since not everyone has a standalone dvd player, and even in homes with such a machine, the games console may often be kept in a different room, so the dvd capability is still useful. Even if dvd is not for you, since it's so popular, whenever there is a review of consoles, they will always say the Gamecube is not so good because "it aint got DVD".

The Gamecube is some what limited in terms of upgrades. It's 2 high speed serial sockets can't compare with the internal expansion bay of the PS2, or the USB, or FireWire. And Xbox even has a hard disc and broadband already in there.

Nintendo has the wrong image. The appearance of the unit generally is "toy like", and appears to have been designed with younger kids as the target audience.

If indeed Nintendo are/were trying to make the GC appeal to the younger audience, then they got that wrong. Everyone knows by now, that it's the older ones who are more likely to spend the money on products such as this.
Tue 10/06/03 at 10:39
"slightlyshortertagl"
yeah,

I win
Tue 10/06/03 at 10:38
Regular
"8==="
I think i'm about to say most people are stupid.

Most people are stupid.

There I go.

:)

Wants his 15 extra crash levels on Burnout 2....
Tue 10/06/03 at 10:30
Regular
Hedfix wrote:
> If you have a PS2 and Gamecube gets the GC version of the games
> because they will have better graphics and, most likely, bonus
> features (Bunout 2 anyone?).

Not convinced. NFS on PS2 is better than the GC version, and V-Rally3 handles better on PS2 and looks identical to the others. Truth is, when games are ported over, there is little scope to make any serious improvements. Many people also want the latest version of the game first - and for some games, that means PS2 version first - so thats what people buy.
Tue 10/06/03 at 06:42
Regular
"8==="
mmmmmmm. Muffins.
Tue 10/06/03 at 06:38
"I love yo... lamp."
Bunout 2? SO I missed the worlds first bakers game then?
Tue 10/06/03 at 06:20
Regular
"8==="
If you have a PS2 and Gamecube gets the GC version of the games because they will have better graphics and, most likely, bonus features (Bunout 2 anyone?).
Tue 10/06/03 at 05:54
"I love yo... lamp."
I have figured it out. For the game cube to go absolutely supernova they need one exclusive, stupendous selling game. Im still working out the finer details but here is the working title:

Squeeze Kylie's Ass

It is bound to be a hit. think how many guys would rush out straight away to buy it. Would make Enter The Matrix look like a niche title. It would bring in a lot more older, casual gamers, and once they buy one game, they will get more.
Mon 09/06/03 at 23:08
Regular
Not a single Nintendo game is strictly for children - Nintendo have always been a family company and (hopefully) will continue. The young and old can equally enjoy a game of Mario, or a bash on Smash Bros, those who refuse to play these beauties are the childish ones. Do I care for these people? No. Nintendo make enough profit (more than the games divisions of Sony and Microsoft) to remain stable and keep producing the best games there are.

It will be a sad day for all if Nintendo cease to develop. Thankfully, I can never see that happening.
Mon 09/06/03 at 22:10
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
For a long time I said I prefered the PS2, but now I realise I was just a mindless monkey following everyonne else. My cousin got an X-Box and I ripped the crap out of it without even having played it, then I played it, bloody great console and I bought one for myself a few weeks later.

Then my Uncle was getting rid of his GC because he couldn't be bothered with games anymore, so I got that cheap, and I now realise that to be better than PS2 aswell. It did take a bit of getting used to the style of games because the GC was the first Nintendo console I owned, it may look kiddy, but the games are original and challenging.

I say go Cube and X-Box, death to PS2 and 3 (if the GTA contract isn't renewed anyway)

;)
Mon 09/06/03 at 22:07
"I love yo... lamp."
The Gamecube is not crap. I fail to see how anyone could seriously believe that. Sure, too kids who want blood and guts and who would not know gameplay if it bit them then yeah, it is crap. The hardware is good. Better than the PS2. The only problem Nintendo have is that they do not have enough adult orientated games. It is mainly kids that buy those games such as Vice City but that is not the point.

It is the older gamers and the brainwashed school kids who have the money though. There are really very few hard core gamers out there compared to casual gamers. Sony have shown that it is the casual gamers that make them their money. If Nintendo could attract more of them then they would win by far.

Yes I know that Nintendo are getting True Crime and other mature titles, but it will be a bit too late. Simply because most of them are on the PS2 first. If Nintendo could get an exclusive GTA game they would be laughing all the way to the bank. But getting those games second will not really help. Most people who buy a console on the basis of wanting a game like Vice City would have bought a PS2 by now rather than wait. I know I would of.

In summary, GC = good. GC = fantastic if it can get more mature titles and exclusives.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.