GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Yey! I got my CPU....I mean Xbox today...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 09/06/03 at 16:09
Regular
Cancelled my online order and decided to treck down to the shops and get one, I hate waiting.

So far I'm not at all impressed.....with the weight, only took me about 5 minutes to get home, in that short space of time I had to keep swapping arms that I was carrying the bag in because they were aching so much. Thank god the shops are only a few minutes from my house, i'd have had to get a taxi otherwise. What really made me laugh was the girl behind the till put the console in a bag and as she was passing it to me, the handles broke.

Anyway I got Halo (of course) MGS2: Substance and Jet Set Radio Future. So far from what i've played of Halo it's gonna be a bloody brilliant game, excellent mass battle type things and most of the guns rock my socks. ONe thing I don't like is the bit on the 2nd level where you have to drive the Warthog, those things handle terribly, i just wanted to get out and shoot stuff normally. Small gripe though because the rest of the stuff i've done rocked.

JSR: future from what i've played is gonna be just as good as the 1st game if not better, not particuarly enthralled by the new graffiti method or the lamp post climbing but i'll get used to it.

Haven't bothered with MGS2 yet.

So far so good then, first product i've ever owned from Microsoft that i've been completly satisfied with.
Tue 10/06/03 at 11:53
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Whitestripes DX wrote:
> But I've completed everything else, and neither Wario World or
> Ultimate Muscle have arrived yet.

Where are you getting Ultimate Muscle from? DVD Boxoffice?
Tue 10/06/03 at 11:51
Regular
Please note I never said I didn't like the game, I just found the 3rd level to be extremly drawn out and repetetive.

To go from the excellent outside sections and get dragged into the repetetive space ship sections, it just annoys me. Hopefully Bungie should have ironed out the repetition problem for the sequel.

Oh and as it's set on earth, I'm hoping there'll be less times when you have to use the alien guns.

Still, really good game but certainly not perfect. Gonna be playing some co-op later today, me thinks that'll be where the game really shines.
Tue 10/06/03 at 11:50
Regular
I have all of those except Vietcong, and Vice City is the PC version.

Freelancer isn't my thing, it's getting very boring just flying to a point in space and killing everything.

But I've completed everything else, and neither Wario World or Ultimate Muscle have arrived yet.
Tue 10/06/03 at 11:49
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
I've actually been thinking of going back and playing through Operation Flashpoint again. Damn that was good.
Tue 10/06/03 at 11:45
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Freelancer is, for I'd say 95%:
Land/talk/buy weapons/fly here and shoot/land/talk/buy weapons...but if that's your thing then it's good at what it does.

Hitman 2 is good fun, there are some levels where you have to do something a certain way else you fail, but then plenty of other levels where it's up to you to choose from a load of different ways to complete it.

Best games for me:

PC - Vietcong, Operation Flashpoint + addons, Morrowind
PS2 - Vice City
Xbox - Halo, Splinter Cell
Tue 10/06/03 at 11:40
Regular
If that's what you think I'm not going to try and change it.

I agree about the linear side of Splinter Cell, although it does allow the developers to construct a more... solid path through the game. If you put a load of freedom into a game it can be hard to mantain a level of difficulty and interest. But I'm looking forward to the freedom of Hitman 2.

The spaceship on Halo annoyed me a bit, it was a waste potential. You came across loads of intersections, but all of the doors would be locked except one, meaning you were just led by the nose through the level. It would have been nice to have 3 or 4 different paths to the escape pods, ones that could have taken you through the cabins or the kitchens or something.

I agree that the gameplay of Halo is excellent, it's the level design and textures that made it a let down for me, and a few more weapons would have been nice.

Obviously, wall textures have no effect on gameplay (although level design does to a certain extent), but I feel that because they're so bad and repetitive I can't give Halo full marks; the truly once a year amazing games have to be 'very good' or above in every aspect.

Anyway, I'm off to play Freelancer in the hope that the missions will progress beyond 'fly here and kill all ships'.
Tue 10/06/03 at 11:35
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
Oh yeah, sticking grenades on people is the ultimate "suicide bomber" move.
I haven't played Halo in ages, probably because I'm still immersed in Zelda and Ikaurga...
Tue 10/06/03 at 11:34
Regular
"8==="
The first level's really a "get you used to the controls and gameplay" sort of level.
Tue 10/06/03 at 11:32
Regular
"8==="
I liked the indoor sections. Especially against the Flood, as this is when they are at their most dangerous. I have definately died the most in the library level: stick a grenade on a member of the Flood and they run straight at you. Boom! ouch.
Tue 10/06/03 at 11:30
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I found the spaceship at the start a tad samey, but then it's a functional ship so no need for flashy design. But you get outside and it rules. Havent played it in an age though.

Splinter Cell I thought was excellent, but extremely linear. Sure the rooms looked nice but there was only 1 way out and 1 way to get there. No room for error or exploration. Enjoyed it but afterwards I thought "Ok, well that was that then..."

Halo made up,for me, in the lack of designs in some areas with immersive gameplay, incredible AI, fast and furious play with zero slowdown, vehicles, cool weapons and the ability to stick grenades onto people.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.