GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"WARNING: DO NOT ENTER THE MATRIX!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Enter the Matrix'.
Tue 10/06/03 at 10:41
Regular
As you should be able to guess from the title, my GAD prize, Enter the Matrix, arrived yesterday (thanks, SR!), and I've finally had the chance to play this much-talked-about, licensed game.
....Unfortunately!

My expectations were never really that high in the first-place, after seeing the early-impressions of many other people. But for a game with such a license, so much promise, and some big names behind it, from what I've played so far, this game appears to be absolute... "muck"!

The controls resemble a p'd-up Zelda-style, but they can work quite effectively, after a short-while of playing the game and getting used to them. But it's the gameplay itself that lets it down, with those awful camera angles you CANNOT adjust, allowing you to see almost naff-all untill it's too-late, and you find yourself dead on the floor.
The animations of all the kung-fu moves and that are pretty impressive. But - like in StarFox Adventures - too-easy to pull-off.
I may've only played the first-level, but it seems like this is gonna be more linear than I will be able to handle...
All you really have to do is follow the arrow - just like in Crazy Taxi. Only, it doesn't work that well in this third-person game - which tries hard in several places to, rediculously, try and be some sort of first-person shooter, or something!

Even if Shiny and Atari had given this game another month-or-so to work on this game, I doubt they would've made it much better!
It's lacking in so-many areas, you won't believe it!

Even the frame-rate and all-round graphical appearence fails to give this game any real 'promise' of being even the slightest-bit 'good'!
Walk through an area filling with tear-gas, and the screen'll start jerking all over the place! The same happens even in the loading screens, with that Matrix "code" of numbers stuttering down the screen! It even delays the title screen loading-up!

But the real-life cut-scenes look good, I must admit.

Like I said, I haven't played too much of this game.
And, in all honesty, I don't really see why I should - even if this is based on The Matrix!

But, just because of its license, I will at least TRY and play-on - in desperate-hope that this game actually DOES get BETTER....!
(And, because I don't wanna feel like I've wasted a GAD!)

-----

Avoid this wherever possible!
Unless you're either a PS2-loving fan-boy (in which case you'll love it), or some kind of fat, sci-fi boy who simply has to have EVERYTHING Matrix-related.
Tue 10/06/03 at 19:46
Regular
"we escape....."
Yeah same here i think it definetly depends whether you a fan but after you do all the moves... it loses a bit of it's novelty, and it's not the hardest game in the world. But still very enjoyable.
Tue 10/06/03 at 18:49
Regular
I'm steadily working my way through it, and whilst I want to see what the whole game has to offer before making up my mind completely, so far I found it enjoyable.

I honestly think your enjoyment of the game depends on how much you like The Matrix. As a bif fan of the films, I find even running up to a seciurity guard and doing a bullet time wall kick to the Matrix music immensly fulfilling. Non-Matrix fans won't enjoy that as much, but for fans I think its cool...

...and if that makes me a fanboy, so be it.
Tue 10/06/03 at 18:44
Regular
I rented this and didn't particularly like it. I suggest doing that.

Oh, and for Blank, there's a guy called matt9 in FOG Chat posting tripe like 'how can u say da ps2 is worse dan da gamecoob when it has stunning games loik enter the matrix'.
Tue 10/06/03 at 17:09
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Did you put enough exclamation marks in that post? Geez...

And why would you have to be a PS2 fanboy to love a game that's multi-format? Or were you in such a rush to agree with everyone that you didn't think it through properly?
Tue 10/06/03 at 17:05
Regular
"QPR 1974"
I'm not a huge Matrix fan, and the first time I ever watched it was the other week on Channel 5. I didn't by it for the license (I have the Xbox version), I thought it would be fun... and in my opinion, I wasn't wrong. I agree, it is anything outstanding, but it does everything it ever promised with reasonable success. The driving bits aren't spectacular but I think the fun of the game is pulling off the easy to achieve acrobatics and uncovering more of the story.

You do realise the only reason you are constantly following the arrow, a la Crazy Taxi is because it's on the 'easy' setting. Also I would recommend hacking the multiplayer game, (Hacking> Cheat.exe> D5C55D1E) as I think it's a great laugh with a few friends. It's definately not revolutionary for the industry, but for a movie-tie-in it's introduced a story that runs alongside the events in the new movie, which at least shows a remote attempt at being different.
Tue 10/06/03 at 16:44
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
PC version is superb.
No slow-down, no jitters, 1024x786 resolution crisp loveliness.

Still....
Tue 10/06/03 at 16:42
Regular
"we escape....."
i played it on the ps2 it was quite good at first and frillsome using bullet time. But the novelty soon wore off. Not a game that i'd pay £30 for maybe £5 good job i rented it first.
Tue 10/06/03 at 12:04
Regular
"Long time no see!"
This isn't my 'final' or "overall" opinion of the game, only my "initial impressions" of a game I've seen loads of people talking-about.

Like I said at the end of that first-post, I will be forcing myself to play through the rest of this game - just because it is part of the 'Matrix World' - just like The Animatrix is.

Maybe it's because I've recently spent a lot of my time on the excellent Zelda: The Wind Waker, but so much of this game seems quite "shocking". Especially the fixed camera-angle - which you simply didn't have in The Wind Waker.
Tue 10/06/03 at 11:52
Regular
I knew it would be trash. Thank god I didn't waste 30 quid on it.
Tue 10/06/03 at 11:51
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
I've said it before, I'll say it again... the reason preview copies weren't distributed is most likely down the security over the script and storyline of the Matrix movie, after all, the game runs concurrently with the film and does contain cut-scenes lifted straight from it (including arguably the biggest special effects shot ever committed to film). There was loads of commotion about keeping the script and plotline secret, why would they ruin it all by sending out 100 copies of a game that would effectively ruin all their hard work?

And maybe you should play the rest of the game before giving your overall opinion on it? First levels or often quite misleading as to the rest of the game's content.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.