GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"WARNING: DO NOT ENTER THE MATRIX!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Enter the Matrix'.
Tue 10/06/03 at 10:41
Regular
As you should be able to guess from the title, my GAD prize, Enter the Matrix, arrived yesterday (thanks, SR!), and I've finally had the chance to play this much-talked-about, licensed game.
....Unfortunately!

My expectations were never really that high in the first-place, after seeing the early-impressions of many other people. But for a game with such a license, so much promise, and some big names behind it, from what I've played so far, this game appears to be absolute... "muck"!

The controls resemble a p'd-up Zelda-style, but they can work quite effectively, after a short-while of playing the game and getting used to them. But it's the gameplay itself that lets it down, with those awful camera angles you CANNOT adjust, allowing you to see almost naff-all untill it's too-late, and you find yourself dead on the floor.
The animations of all the kung-fu moves and that are pretty impressive. But - like in StarFox Adventures - too-easy to pull-off.
I may've only played the first-level, but it seems like this is gonna be more linear than I will be able to handle...
All you really have to do is follow the arrow - just like in Crazy Taxi. Only, it doesn't work that well in this third-person game - which tries hard in several places to, rediculously, try and be some sort of first-person shooter, or something!

Even if Shiny and Atari had given this game another month-or-so to work on this game, I doubt they would've made it much better!
It's lacking in so-many areas, you won't believe it!

Even the frame-rate and all-round graphical appearence fails to give this game any real 'promise' of being even the slightest-bit 'good'!
Walk through an area filling with tear-gas, and the screen'll start jerking all over the place! The same happens even in the loading screens, with that Matrix "code" of numbers stuttering down the screen! It even delays the title screen loading-up!

But the real-life cut-scenes look good, I must admit.

Like I said, I haven't played too much of this game.
And, in all honesty, I don't really see why I should - even if this is based on The Matrix!

But, just because of its license, I will at least TRY and play-on - in desperate-hope that this game actually DOES get BETTER....!
(And, because I don't wanna feel like I've wasted a GAD!)

-----

Avoid this wherever possible!
Unless you're either a PS2-loving fan-boy (in which case you'll love it), or some kind of fat, sci-fi boy who simply has to have EVERYTHING Matrix-related.
Fri 13/06/03 at 10:04
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
dooz2k2 wrote:
> there may not hav been many reviews(but there were some)
> but there were plenty of videos around if you looked..and in my
> opinion a video gives you a lot more than a review can anyday...

I'm afraid I don't follow. How can a video (which may have been running of a high-end super computer like in most video game adverts) tell you whether a game is better than a review? A review is an opinion of a person/group of people who've actually *played* the game, whilst a video is there to hype up the game, and doesn't show how the game actually plays.
Thu 12/06/03 at 23:07
Regular
The driving levels, as Ghost and Niaobi (sp?) are crap, but I do enjoy the kicking of ass.

Maybe it's because I haven't played many third person beat 'em ups on a 3D console, I dunno, but I like Enter the Matrix.
Thu 12/06/03 at 22:17
Regular
"gsybe you!"
The game isn't great.

Sure it's fun to kick some a*s and do flying kung-fu kicks spinning off walls etc. But its really just boring after half an hour, and the driving is pathetic.

Is it just me, or does a grenade always seem to be planted where ever you start?

Its stupid!

Or maybe because my friends brother always used cheats.....
Thu 12/06/03 at 22:10
"I love yo... lamp."
Oh look you do enjoy it a bit after all. The first level was not exactly awe inspiring. The xbox version however did not have slow down with the tear gas so I was OK.

As for dying with multiple enemies around you, well run. Of get a lot better at ass kicking. Im glad you at least admitted that you had changed your mind a bit, that was big of you, because so many people had knocked it.
Thu 12/06/03 at 21:39
Regular
"You! Obey the fist!"
Solskjær wrote:
> I knew this would happen after a wrote this! - I'm actually starting
> to ENJOY and GET INTO this game!! :@

good for you..you actually gave the game a chance and saw its not as crap as everyone says...

and totoro...there may not hav been many reviews(but there were some) but there were plenty of videos around if you looked..and in my opinion a video gives you a lot more than a review can anyday...
Thu 12/06/03 at 18:44
Regular
"No Way"
sadly i have only had the chance to play this game on a ps2. i agree with the fact that moves are too easy to pull off, I've done starfox and that was the real area it lacked and an area a lot of games lack, but because starfox was not completely based on fighting it didnt have such an affect than it has on enter The Matrix. i still thought it was quite fun to play and shouldn't just be dismissed as 'bad'. its just a shame because the films are so good, if only the games matched.
Thu 12/06/03 at 10:40
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I knew this would happen after a wrote this! - I'm actually starting to ENJOY and GET INTO this game!! :@

Now that I've left both The Wind Waker and the Ocarina of Time: Master Quest alone, I'm starting to give this game the chance it deserves, and even now, the camera-angle problem doesn't seem to be quite-as-bad as it was.

Or maybe it's because I've learnt some good new-moves, like jumping and shooting from behind the wall, pulling it off in Focus Mode - just like in Max Payne - or something?

It's still a A-hole for getting killed within SECONDS when you're surrounded by only 3-or-4 armed enemies, but I'm finding it easier, now I'm actually learning how to use 'Bullet Time'.
It's also quite easy how you only have to run-up-to an armed enemy to stop him shooting at you, and to then give him a bit of kung-fu-fooey!

The cut-scenes still look great, and I'm starting to adjust to the slow-down. Hey, if I can enjoy Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2, I'm sure I can enjoy this! But the looping music's really getting to me....

Not as bad as I originally thought it was.
It DOES get better!
But it's still not "brilliant".

If you love `The Matrix´ and have a lot of patience, you should consider actually getting this.

Just wait for True Crime: Streets of LA... Then we'll see a really BAD game!
Thu 12/06/03 at 09:36
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
dooz2k2 wrote:
> yeah, u r wrong by saying there were no reviews and only photos of the
> game to look at
>
> i had loads of videos of this game long before it came out...and there
> were plenty of reviews around....

Nope, affraid not. Whether it was to do with secrecy of the film plot or just to hide the fact the game sucked, there were no reviews available before the game hit the shop shelves. Fact.
Thu 12/06/03 at 05:10
Regular
"8==="
For those who want another reason not to get Enter The Matrix:

http://www.gamingworldx.com/xbox/EntertheMatrix.shtml

Read it.
Tue 10/06/03 at 19:47
Regular
"You! Obey the fist!"
yeah, u r wrong by saying there were no reviews and only photos of the game to look at

i had loads of videos of this game long before it came out...and there were plenty of reviews around....

and the game gets better as you play through it...just play it!

and i am not i fat sci-fi boy who has to have everything matrix related dammit!
i'm just a sci-fi boy who has to have everything matrix related(but that dusn't mean anyone else cant enjoy this game...its got loads of fun bits in it

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.