GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"WARNING: DO NOT ENTER THE MATRIX!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Enter the Matrix'.
Tue 10/06/03 at 10:41
Regular
As you should be able to guess from the title, my GAD prize, Enter the Matrix, arrived yesterday (thanks, SR!), and I've finally had the chance to play this much-talked-about, licensed game.
....Unfortunately!

My expectations were never really that high in the first-place, after seeing the early-impressions of many other people. But for a game with such a license, so much promise, and some big names behind it, from what I've played so far, this game appears to be absolute... "muck"!

The controls resemble a p'd-up Zelda-style, but they can work quite effectively, after a short-while of playing the game and getting used to them. But it's the gameplay itself that lets it down, with those awful camera angles you CANNOT adjust, allowing you to see almost naff-all untill it's too-late, and you find yourself dead on the floor.
The animations of all the kung-fu moves and that are pretty impressive. But - like in StarFox Adventures - too-easy to pull-off.
I may've only played the first-level, but it seems like this is gonna be more linear than I will be able to handle...
All you really have to do is follow the arrow - just like in Crazy Taxi. Only, it doesn't work that well in this third-person game - which tries hard in several places to, rediculously, try and be some sort of first-person shooter, or something!

Even if Shiny and Atari had given this game another month-or-so to work on this game, I doubt they would've made it much better!
It's lacking in so-many areas, you won't believe it!

Even the frame-rate and all-round graphical appearence fails to give this game any real 'promise' of being even the slightest-bit 'good'!
Walk through an area filling with tear-gas, and the screen'll start jerking all over the place! The same happens even in the loading screens, with that Matrix "code" of numbers stuttering down the screen! It even delays the title screen loading-up!

But the real-life cut-scenes look good, I must admit.

Like I said, I haven't played too much of this game.
And, in all honesty, I don't really see why I should - even if this is based on The Matrix!

But, just because of its license, I will at least TRY and play-on - in desperate-hope that this game actually DOES get BETTER....!
(And, because I don't wanna feel like I've wasted a GAD!)

-----

Avoid this wherever possible!
Unless you're either a PS2-loving fan-boy (in which case you'll love it), or some kind of fat, sci-fi boy who simply has to have EVERYTHING Matrix-related.
Fri 13/06/03 at 19:19
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
dooz2k2 wrote:
> and you say a review actually shows how a game plays...but a vid dus
> not...this is a load of crap!!
> altho reviews are nice...with a vid u actually get to see the game in
> action..and SEE it being played...much better than still images and
> words

So, which would be better to get an overall idea of how good the game is:

20 different videos which show off the game.

or

20 reviews which explain about every facet of the game.

I think it's the reviews. You could watch 50 video clips of the game in action, but still won't know how well the game actually plays (i.e how responsive the controls are). But the reviews explain a heck of a lot more than a few videos ever could.

Anyway this whole bloody topic is boring now because Enter the Matrix is universally regarded as hyped up toss, so let that be the end of it.
Fri 13/06/03 at 18:10
Regular
"You! Obey the fist!"
its about an hour of footage altogether..and i think(only a 'think' though) all of the footage is on both disks...because i'v never had to change disks during viewing them on the hacking mode

cyclone...the grenade certainly is because of the cheats...on most levels one is put at the start if u hav cheats on

and totoro, wot are you on about the footage being done on a high end pc for the vids?!
that makes no difference...the slowdown in the GC version is very very rare..and the graphics are better in the game than in the vids

and you say a review actually shows how a game plays...but a vid dus not...this is a load of crap!!
altho reviews are nice...with a vid u actually get to see the game in action..and SEE it being played...much better than still images and words
Fri 13/06/03 at 12:47
Definitely is.

How much film footage is there? And is there a long period of loading between each one?
Fri 13/06/03 at 12:44
Regular
"Double Dash!!!!!!!!"
Icarus wrote:
> Does the game come on 3 discs?
2 discs,
can't believe it when a game like Zelda which is around 4 times bigger is on one, its probably all the video files.
Fri 13/06/03 at 12:43
Regular
"Double Dash!!!!!!!!"
Hedfix wrote:
> 4hrs to complete? I would take it back to the shop if I had bought it.
bought it in france, so i can't that's unless anyone here wants to buy it off me.
Fri 13/06/03 at 12:35
Does the game come on 3 discs?
Fri 13/06/03 at 10:58
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
I wouldn't have been foolish enough to buy it in the first place.
Fri 13/06/03 at 10:56
Regular
"8==="
4hrs to complete? I would take it back to the shop if I had bought it.
Fri 13/06/03 at 10:25
Regular
"Double Dash!!!!!!!!"
I liked it eventhough it is the shortest game ever, I completed it in 4 hours with ghost on medium the first time through, multiplayer and sparks construct are cool though
Fri 13/06/03 at 10:13
Regular
"8==="
If it had a four player FPS deathmatch I'd buy it.

Then again if Fifa had a four player deathmatch i'd buy it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.