GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"5 Things About You"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 03/07/06 at 08:49
Regular
Another borrowed thread idea off the lovely @ngel.

[B]List 5 things interesting or not about you that we didn't know before.[/B] (Of course you can list more if you like)

1. I have one blue eye and one brown eye.
2. I don't like fish or peanuts (possibly because of their strong smell).
3. I was born on Friday 13th, 13 is one of my lucky numbers.
4. My favourite food is Chinese
5. As a kid I loved watching saturday morning cartoons and had a crush on Penny the girl from the Inspector Gadget cartoon. heh.
Page:
Thu 28/09/06 at 20:55
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Kawada wrote:
> Corazón wrote:
> I think this is about a clash of cultural opinions as much as
> anything. I know America has a much more lenient diagnosis
> procedure for schizophrenia and culturally i think you lot are
> maybe a bit more paranoid and wary of mentally ill people.
>
>
> Ah so how many years did you live in America to form that
> opinion and whereabouts?

Before you came over here did you assume we all went to Buck house on a Sunday to have tea with the queen? No of course you didnt, it's common sense/knowledge.
I've already corrected the diagnosis comment, that was my mistake, it was late.
As a New Yorker you're probably exempt from my paranoia comment anyway but are you really trying to tell me your countrymen aren't a bit paranoid about everything? A brief history of American time then, The english, Communism, blacks, gays, muslims. If you're an outsider, you're a danger. I may be overstating things a little here to get the point across but tell me i dont have a point.
EDIT
I'll leave it at that now. I've no interest in making things worse.
Thu 28/09/06 at 21:17
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
I did write a reply but i really can't be bothered with it. You're obviously set up in your own mind what America is like, that's fine, i deal alot with it nowadays, heck i've dealt with it for all my time on here and SR so i'm not really surprised. I'll just bow to your superior knowledge of what Americans are like as you have so much life experience with them and thank you for leaving us New Yorkers out of your generalisations. I'll just say this:

Glass houses, stones.
Thu 28/09/06 at 22:08
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Suprisingly i'm more open to ideas than you think and as you've not said anything other than "Thats not how it is" i'd like you to educate me on where i'm wrong please. Anything i say is based on what i've been taught, read or seen so add your two cents. Generally i ignore personal opinions when i think theyre possibly defensive or biased but seeing as i actually like and respect you, i'm willing to listen.
Of course i'm talking in general terms. I cant really talk in anything but general terms on the subject unless i want to talk about every individual. The Americans i have known (and there are plenty of them, although not as many as you i'm sure) have largely been very nice people, pains in the a**e with questionable views on things, but nice people regardless.

EDIT
And them maybe we can get back on topic. I actually liked this thread.
Thu 28/09/06 at 22:10
Regular
ooooo This could be the next Alfonse vs Hedfix....
Only more intelligent.
Thu 28/09/06 at 22:20
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Corazon wrote:
> Suprisingly i'm more open to ideas than you think and as you've
> not said anything other than "Thats not how it is" i'd
> like you to educate me on where i'm wrong please. Anything i say
> is based on what i've been taught, read or seen so add your two
> cents. Generally i ignore personal opinions when i think theyre
> possibly defensive or biased but seeing as i actually like and
> respect you, i'm willing to listen.
> Of course i'm talking in general terms. I cant really talk in
> anything but general terms on the subject unless i want to talk
> about every individual. The Americans i have known (and there
> are plenty of them, although not as many as you i'm sure) have
> largely been very nice people, pains in the a**e with
> questionable views on things, but nice people regardless.

I can give you a fine example of where i think your view is wrong and of course i can only go from my own personal experience (seeing as i do actually have experience of American life instead of reading it from some book or whatever i'm taught from someone with their own biased views) and that's where i'm from, New York. The very epitomy of multi-culturism, do you think that city would ever work if Americans are, as you say, extremely paranoid of every outside danger in the world?
Yes there are some idiots lacking education who hate people based on their skin colour or religion but then name me a country without that element, i'm sure you'll find there isn't. Want to tell me to go look at American history? Go look up some British history, some French history, some German history etc, it isn't exactly much better. Doesn't make it right which i'm not saying it does, but then i don't see you labelling these countries as all paranoid nutcases despite having the same problems. However to label a whole country's people as just one thing is both offensive to me and downright ignorant which is what i take offense to and thus what prompted my comment.
Thu 28/09/06 at 22:44
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Kawada wrote:
> I can give you a fine example of where i think your view is
> wrong and of course i can only go from my own personal
> experience (seeing as i do actually have experience of American
> life instead of reading it from some book or whatever i'm taught
> from someone with their own biased views) and that's where i'm
> from, New York. The very epitomy of multi-culturism, do you
> think that city would ever work if Americans are, as you say,
> extremely paranoid of every outside danger in the world?
> Yes there are some idiots lacking education who hate people
> based on their skin colour or religion but then name me a
> country without that element, i'm sure you'll find there isn't.
> Want to tell me to go look at American history? Go look up some
> British history, some French history, some German history etc,
> it isn't exactly much better. However to label a whole country's
> people as just one thing is both offensive to me and downright
> ignorant which is what i take offense to and thus what prompted
> my comment.

Anything i ever say in general is just that, general, there will always be people who dont fit the rather convinient picture thats been partially painted and left for me to fill in. I'm not so ignorant as to believe everyone is the same and would never make that generalisation.
I'm very aware of the history of England and France, prejudice left right and centre, same with the USA. What i was referring to was the general level of paranoia that seems to come in waves over there and is especially prevalent now. I see the same thing happening over here with the asylum seeker issue and it's sickening really but the USA (generalisation) seems to take it to a another level.
If i wanted an example of paranoia i'd cite gun ownership in middle America, for reasons of protecting your home. What? We have crime over here too but you dont see Mr and Mrs Jones going shopping for a pistol. The same is true for the rest of the world so why is it different in the USA. If you've got any reason other than paranoia i'd love to hear it.
As for New York yes i know, thats why i mentioned it.
Thu 28/09/06 at 22:56
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Corazon wrote:

> Anything i ever say in general is just that, general, there will
> always be people who dont fit the rather convinient picture thats
> been partially painted and left for me to fill in.

Thus why i suggest you go and live in America for a year or two and actually get some experience of these people you are so quick to judge and tarnish with a brush.

> If i wanted an example of paranoia i'd cite gun ownership in
> middle America, for reasons of protecting your home. What? We
> have crime over here too but you dont see Mr and Mrs Jones going
> shopping for a pistol. The same is true for the rest of the world
> so why is it different in the USA. If you've got any reason other
> than paranoia i'd love to hear it.

Yea kind of like the rapid rising knife problem here and the gang and gun problem on the rise in London. Like i say, it's happening everywhere of course people would just like to pretend this is all an American problem because hey that's far easier than facing the fact there's also problems at home. Far easier to criticise others than examine yourself.

Please do not use the Bible belt as a source for judging America (i did pretty much think that's where you opinion of America has come from and seems i was right) they are the god fearing, uneducated portion of America who'd rather use a Bible than a Science book as fact, who yes are quite paranoid just like those people here in England who read the Daily Mail and vote BNP thinking Darkie is out to get them. If you want places to gather an opinion of America then look at the educated states all around that area. Places like Seattle, California, New York, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Florida etc.

But calling all Americans paranoid of the world when America is a product of said world is just dumb and offensive like i say.
Thu 28/09/06 at 23:44
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Kawada wrote:
> Yea kind of like the rapid rising knife problem here and the
> gang and gun problem on the rise in London. Like i say, it's
> happening everywhere of course people would just like to pretend
> this is all an American problem because hey that's far easier
> than facing the fact there's also problems at home. Far easier
> to criticise others than examine yourself.

Absolutely, its a growing problem here, certainly innercity. We're not quite at the level of how ever many gun deaths a year you have yet though.

> Please do not use the Bible belt as a source for judging America
> (i did pretty much think that's where you opinion of America has
> come from and seems i was right) they are the god fearing,
> uneducated portion of America who'd rather use a Bible than a
> Science book as fact, who yes are quite paranoid just like those
> people here in England who read the Daily Mail and vote BNP
> thinking Darkie is out to get them.

I've been deliberately avoiding the Bible belt but the impression i get is that it's a bit more spread out into the suburbs. If i'm wrong, shoot me.

> If you want places to gather
> an opinion of America then look at the educated states all around
> that area. Places like Seattle, California, New York, Michigan,
> Pennsylvania, Florida etc.

California? As far as i was aware it's one of the most violent states. I was told this by my uncle who is American and has just come back here after spending about 4 years out there. I'm pretty sure he mentioned something about seeing a guy get shot outside a supermarket within 4 days of arriving. Fluke?
Now assuming the rest of those you've mentioned are fine, that still doesn't account for the other 44 states but i wont get into that. I have heard that Philly and Michigan are ok

> But calling all Americans paranoid of the world when America is
> a product of said world is just dumb and offensive like i say.

Not all Americans, that would be dumb and offensive. But as a general level...

I'm pleased i managed to get through that without referring to your leader.
Right, who wants to start on the Japanese...?
Thu 28/09/06 at 23:52
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Corazon wrote:
> Absolutely, its a growing problem here, certainly innercity.
> We're not quite at the level of how ever many gun deaths a year
> you have yet though.

Then i guess there's paranoia running through Britain, why not comment on that?

> California? As far as i was aware it's one of the most violent
> states. I was told this by my uncle who is American and has just
> come back here after spending about 4 years out there. I'm pretty
> sure he mentioned something about seeing a guy get shot outside a
> supermarket within 4 days of arriving. Fluke?

Yup places like Compton are dangerous as they are poor poverty stricken neibourhoods. I was referencing California due to its extremely liberal stance on things.

> Now assuming the rest of those you've mentioned are fine, that
> still doesn't account for the other 44 states but i wont get
> into that. I have heard that Philly and Michigan are ok

I was giving them as examples not just saying they were the only ones.

> Not all Americans, that would be dumb and offensive. But as a
> general level...

Well you were referencing all Americans earlier hence why i replied, if you had said some then i wouldn't have had a problem, merely would have pointed out that yes there's some Americans like that just like there's some of every nationality like that. So i guess everyone is paranoid a little bit eh?
Thu 28/09/06 at 23:54
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
In essence, every country has major problems. I don't think America did itself any favours re-electing a bible-bashin moron who stole the previous election, but hey, we Brits made ourselves look just as stupid by re-electing his lap-dog.

In the end I think America often does itself no favours in relation to painting a favourable picture of itself to the rest of the world, but then again, outside of the UK the same could be true of here...

Meh, I really don't know, the idea of 'countries' and generalising people based on them seems a little stupid to me, as does the very idea of countries themselves... After all, aren't countries simply glorified gangs working in the interests of their members (ie. countrymen/women)?

Anyway, to get back to the point of the topic...

- I think I'm out of drinking practice. I've had a bottle of stella, about a third of a bottle of wine, and a pint of Kronenburg, and I feel tired and tipsy... This is a poor showing!
- I'm going back to Uni on Saturday.
- On Saturday evening I'm seeing Adequate Seven play their last central London gig... :'( It'll be great, but sad too.
- I've just noticed the box of Morrisons Honey Nut Corn Flakes in the corner, and am tempted...
- This post may be slightly incoherant / non-sensical due to my slightly inebriated state...
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.