GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sign of something wrong??"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 22/10/01 at 20:21
Regular
I have noticed a distinct change in the attitude of people around these forums. An immatruity and spamming tinge has left a sour taste in the mouth, but it never really struck me until today....................why??

Well, it was actually the fact that the notables all seem to hate this place now. When I came here, it was these guys that were the life and soul of the forums, and made me consider coming here more often, so I did, but recently the forums have been overrun by rubbish. There is far too much Spam and chat going on in topics people would like to be treated with respect. In the past people would post here, and have a laugh, but keep the mindless banter and insults to MSN or for e-mails, but now this forum seems to be a general chat sever, and it is losing the people that made this place special in the first place.

I know this post will be treated like every other regulars concerns and be brushed aside, but just stop to think for a second what it is you are doing here, and whether your chatter would be better kept for MSN or a proper chat server, if it could, then it would be much better to kep it there rather than clutter this forum with what is known as "SPAM". I don;t know if anyone will listen to this or not, and I;m not expecting miracles, but I know that Grix has become disillusioned and fed up with this forum, and that to me is a problem..............
Mon 22/10/01 at 20:56
Regular
If I was to blame something, it would be these things:

Everyone.
Mon 22/10/01 at 20:59
Regular
I think that the top Posters Stats should be the first thing to go.

It does sort of encourage spam.

Newbies like to see their name high on the chart so they spam up 1000 messages in 30 days in order to make themselves famous.
Mon 22/10/01 at 21:02
"High polygon count"
Maybe this forum should be renamed "General chat" instead of "FoG chat"?

Personally, I'm also guilty - along with YH and Goatboy (sorry guys) - of turning some threads into complete nonsense, with what (in our view) are amusing posts.

So I can't really shout about 'spam'. But again, as has been said, it depends on where you draw the line and what you call 'spam'.

An odd humourous post regarding a comment someone has made should be accepted, as long as it doesn't drag the thread away from it's original topic for too long; in other words, discretion is advised.

Certainly in FoG Prime, only minimal diversions should be acceptable. In other forums (Life, Sport & Football or DVD, Music and TV etc.) most people will gauge their reply post by the tone of the original. Of course, this isn't always the case!

The 'spam level' idea you suggested in the PS2 forum was in theory a good idea, but I don't think it would work in the way you intended it. Just as with the spam in FoG Prime, people don't always pay attention to polite requests.

It would be nice if SR/Webby could introduce some kind of radio-button setting for when you start a new topic in the forums (other than Chat) whereby you could set a 'spam level' that would be visibly shown at the top of each page of the thread, and the option of reporting or - better still - giving the creator of the topic the power to delete severely off-topic posts from the thread.

Not sure how workable that is, but it's an idea.
Mon 22/10/01 at 21:04
Regular
Oh come on Wookiee... humour is not spam. If we had topics full of the stuff you lot talk about, I would never leave this place.

Spam is dull and uninteresting titbits of pathetic minds.
Mon 22/10/01 at 21:09
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Spam is when people start like 2 line topics in Prime.

MSN is the chat place. Not the forums..
Mon 22/10/01 at 21:09
Regular
WÚÛkiee M¯nßÜÄR wrote:
Personally, I'm also guilty - along with YH and Goatboy (sorry
> guys) - of turning some threads into complete nonsense, with what (in our view)
> are amusing posts.

Oi, I always write funny stuff.

Just because others don't like it, means they don't have a sense of humour, and that's not my fault...

:-)
Mon 22/10/01 at 21:12
"High polygon count"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> Oh come on Wookiee... humour is not spam.

Well, it depends on the person I suppose, but some people may not appreciate it if we start 'our stuff' in their thread.

I mean - would you like me makeing a mess in *your* threads? ;-p

See? I'm doing it again, and Bonus may not like that, being the uptight Scottish... erm, I mean sensible lad that he is.

No offence, Bonus. No Bonus... please no... not... the haggis! Arrrgh!

> Spam is dull and uninteresting titbits of pathetic minds.

I rest my case...
Mon 22/10/01 at 21:14
"High polygon count"
Your Honour wrote:
> Oi, I always write funny stuff.

Oh, you're 'funny' alright...
Mon 22/10/01 at 21:17
Grix Thraves wrote:
Spam is dull and
> uninteresting titbits of pathetic minds.

Ah, but were one mind finds dullness, another finds enlightenment.
Mon 22/10/01 at 21:17
Regular
Ok, let's be Frank. Choose a Frank, and be him.

Newbies are the children of the forum, and supposedly the notables are the big harsh parents. Regulars = teenagers then, for descriptions sake. They can raise the children too.

So where the hell did we go wrong? Aren't we being strict enough? Perhaps we should send them to bed without supper, but they'll probably just order a pizza with their sky digital box set or something.

We've got to be more cruel. I'm fed up with being nice to idiots.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.