GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sign of something wrong??"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 22/10/01 at 20:21
Regular
I have noticed a distinct change in the attitude of people around these forums. An immatruity and spamming tinge has left a sour taste in the mouth, but it never really struck me until today....................why??

Well, it was actually the fact that the notables all seem to hate this place now. When I came here, it was these guys that were the life and soul of the forums, and made me consider coming here more often, so I did, but recently the forums have been overrun by rubbish. There is far too much Spam and chat going on in topics people would like to be treated with respect. In the past people would post here, and have a laugh, but keep the mindless banter and insults to MSN or for e-mails, but now this forum seems to be a general chat sever, and it is losing the people that made this place special in the first place.

I know this post will be treated like every other regulars concerns and be brushed aside, but just stop to think for a second what it is you are doing here, and whether your chatter would be better kept for MSN or a proper chat server, if it could, then it would be much better to kep it there rather than clutter this forum with what is known as "SPAM". I don;t know if anyone will listen to this or not, and I;m not expecting miracles, but I know that Grix has become disillusioned and fed up with this forum, and that to me is a problem..............
Mon 22/10/01 at 20:33
This is an interesting point.
It raises questions im my tiny little brain, such as "what is spam?"

What do we consider spam? Is it posts that are off topic? If so then what is the topic? Well on this forum most would consider it to be "the Fufture of gaming". Admittedly this is the designated "chat" section of FOG. So should people be allowed to post mindless drivel on here, or is that still spam? Well, seeing as people are complaining about spam, even on this forum, I will assume that this forum should also relate primarily to gaming - just with the serious edge taken off.

So still, what is spam? It seems that most people regard short posts as spam, but surely thats unfair, what about those people who have a very concise way of expressing their opinion. So then, seeing as singling out short posts as spam is unfair, surely it doesn't matter what length your post is, if its off the topic of gaming - it's spam!

Strange then, how if someone were to start a topic about spam ruining forums and all they said was "I think the topics have gone down 'ill. Spammin' sux" It would be considered spam, wereas even though this very topic I am posting in and yes even this post itself, is not on the topic of gaming so surely must also be spam.

Anyone?
Mon 22/10/01 at 20:39
Regular
It's not spam that's the problem, it's just a natural scape goat.

Spam can usually be ignored, and the spam situation is better than ever because it's kept out of prime.

I don't think that spammers should be banned because many of them may well grow into intellegent regulars.

The REAL problem is how many discussion points get saturated. There's only so much you can talk about until it gets repetitive.

The forums get stale and you find that there's less and less you want to talk about.
Normally this means leaving for a few weeks and coming back refreshed with over 100 hundred new ideas.

Another way so bolster discussion is when there's big news.

Spaceworld saw huge discussions about Zelda, E3 gave us loads to talk about, Capcoms announcement about giving Resident Evil to the Gamecube caused an uproar and the PS2 price cut gave plenty to discuss.

It's when you start coming to this site and realise that you've nothing left to talk about, a sudden emptiness hits you.

You see the spam and your insides tell you that it's replaced the good discussions you used to remember.

Well pop down memory lane.

Go do previous discussions back in January and February.

The quality of discussions wasn't much better.
Infact it was worse as the spam topics were still in prime and you would just see hundreds of blatant Gameaday attempts with just one or two replies.

Now days your average good discussion lasts atleast 30 posts - a discussion rather than a single thread point that people read.

If the forums grow stale then stop coming here for a few weeks or come here less often.
Try to avoid posting topics unless you have an idea inside you bursting to come out and take form.
Don't post in topics unless you really have a reply.

The less you come here, the more you appreciate it when you do.

It's not spamming that's the problem, it's Saturation.
Mon 22/10/01 at 20:40
Regular
Inane babble.

People talk because they want to be noticed. "My thoughts count, I should be noticed for that."

They count s**t, darling. The only thing that counts is that you don't care about the consequence of what you write and only write what the hell you feel, not what you want.
Mon 22/10/01 at 20:43
Regular
Strafex wrote:

"It's not spamming that's the problem, it's Saturation."

It sounds more like the inability to express yourself. And if that was true, then we would all be expert writers by now.

It's a shame to admit, but it seems that some people will never be able to express themselves as freely as others on here.
Mon 22/10/01 at 20:43
Regular
"Wasting away"
Photo-Genetic wrote:
> I think that it's mainly my fault.

Then if you feel so gulity about it then why do you continue to SPAM all the time? Look around people and see the pointless posts from FinalFantasyFanatic and Photo-Genetic. I hate to mention names but like you say it should be done on MSN and not on the forums, I come here to read other peoples opinions and get away from the real world.

But it seems that these people are just fools with nothing constructive to say. FFF just SPAMMED when her first came here with the one word post just so that he could become a regular within the 21 day period. Newbies do seem to get a lot of grief but only if they get this reputation for SPAMMING in the first place.

What Pro said, I think I agree with that. Photo-Genetic is on something along the lines of 13 words a post whilst I'm on over 100 words per post. I'm not saying it has to be that high but SR don't seem to care anymore, maybe they're just so used to it by now. I've e-mailed them and mentioned names about this but never once have I recieved a reply of any sort.

The members should have a say in the matter I think and if you have a grudge then that will cause a problem but if everyone agrees then no one can argue with that. I get fed up with it, from coming into a topic to see just how much crap it is filled with that has nothing to do with the topic.

I still feel though that FOG Prime is in it's Prime and has the best posts on the site along with the best people, people who don't SPAM in your topics and take the time to read them as you must have noticed that long topics in FOG Chat go unnoticed unless it a EEGAD.

I find that FOG Chat is the worst place for this and to see a topic with 50+ replies instantly now comes across to me as SPAM. I find it such a shame as I love this place.
Mon 22/10/01 at 20:45
I'm trying to make myself better,I even had to vow on certian things just to change.It's really hard for me to change but I'm trying!I am!
Mon 22/10/01 at 20:48
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I personally blame newbies. Not becuase they spam and don't have anything intelligent to say (which they don't, BTW), but because there's so many of them and they have totally the wrong idea. This place used to me a community, but now it's just a forum because the newbies treat it as one. This IS only newbies, by the way, not anyone else. The newbies learn, and cease to become newbies, but then more newbies come along. It's very frustrating but we can't do anything about it.
Mon 22/10/01 at 20:51
Spam
Mon 22/10/01 at 20:53
Regular
I think the top posters chart has something to do with this.

When I first came here, I thought I could just write loads of replies and in about a week Id be the top poster, with over 10'000 posts, above Grix and the rest of the crew!

And theres the copularity pontest thing where the top posters are mentioned and everyone expresses their view on each person. Maybe the newbies are trying to impress us by posting lots?...... Well Im not impressed......
Mon 22/10/01 at 20:55
Regular
"Back For Good"
how do you get spam on the internet?
I thought it came in tins in asda,sainburys and that lot ;-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.