GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sign of something wrong??"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 22/10/01 at 20:21
Regular
I have noticed a distinct change in the attitude of people around these forums. An immatruity and spamming tinge has left a sour taste in the mouth, but it never really struck me until today....................why??

Well, it was actually the fact that the notables all seem to hate this place now. When I came here, it was these guys that were the life and soul of the forums, and made me consider coming here more often, so I did, but recently the forums have been overrun by rubbish. There is far too much Spam and chat going on in topics people would like to be treated with respect. In the past people would post here, and have a laugh, but keep the mindless banter and insults to MSN or for e-mails, but now this forum seems to be a general chat sever, and it is losing the people that made this place special in the first place.

I know this post will be treated like every other regulars concerns and be brushed aside, but just stop to think for a second what it is you are doing here, and whether your chatter would be better kept for MSN or a proper chat server, if it could, then it would be much better to kep it there rather than clutter this forum with what is known as "SPAM". I don;t know if anyone will listen to this or not, and I;m not expecting miracles, but I know that Grix has become disillusioned and fed up with this forum, and that to me is a problem..............
Mon 22/10/01 at 23:52
Regular
"Wasting away"
The thing is with this forum in perticular is that you find topics that aren't related to gaming in any way. People tend to use it as a means to pass on information when they please and that is what most SPAM is generated from.

You tend to find that the smaller topics get the biggest response and this is for two reasons, one being that people can't be bothered to read the whole post and the other being that smaller posts are easier to reply to.

MSN should be used for this part of conversation and not the forums, the other day there was only 3/10 topics in FOG Chat related to gaming, the rest either about Music or films or just general life. They did create other forums for this and maybe they just want more people to read them so they see FOG Chat as the place to do it.

It makes the other posts ignored and people like FFF and Photo-Genetic should be banned because of it, there is nothing else I can really say. People who give short replies to topics, well it depends up to the degree of it. If it's just 'I agree' then that is SPAM, but if they say why and only do it in a sentence then that shows they have understood the post and are contributing to it.
Mon 22/10/01 at 23:16
Regular
Meka_Dragon wrote:
> Oh, and farewell to the Game forums.

Another thing that prooves that this site is turning into a chat facility rather than a gaming disscusion forum.
Mon 22/10/01 at 23:13
Regular
"not dead"
It does seem that some threads generate into nonsense, but this shouldn't be a problem in the chat forums, it's what they're there for.

Decent topics in prime seem to be very hit and miss, two people can write about very similar things, and the posts be of equal quality, some days one will generate 100 replies, another it will disappear from the list without a response.

There is no answer.

But I do have a suggestion, if you don't having anything to contribute to a thread, then don't bother.

Less of this "Hmmn good post" without adding your own thoughts.

Don't be afraid to disagree.

Say what you feel.

Discuss.

It's a discussion forum.

Oh, and farewell to the Game forums.
Mon 22/10/01 at 23:04
Regular
Bonus wrote:

We have a chat forum, and that is why I put this here, because I wanted to get
> right to the heart of the problem, lets keep the chatter in here and not in
> Prime or sony or Nintendo etc.

Oh, I see.

In that case, I'm behind you 100%.

Keep chat in the chat forum!

And call the Chatforum MIST instead of FoG chat!
Mon 22/10/01 at 23:01
Regular
I say we change this one into a chat forum and call it MIST.

Still keep the bridge though.
Mon 22/10/01 at 22:59
Regular
WÚÛkiee M¯nßÜÄR wrote:
See? I'm doing it again, and Bonus may not like that,
> being the uptight Scottish... erm, I mean sensible lad that he is.

See, now it isn't this which is destroying the forums, because what we have here is a joke, jokes are funny and contribute to the entertainment of the forum, it's when threads are degenerated into no me=ore than converstation about general stuff, and not the point raised by the author which annoys me. Even random posts couple line posts don't bother me, because I just ignore them. What really gets to me is the fact that people come on here and chat, this can easily be done elsewhere, they do not contribute to the good posts going around and they generally just make a mess. Look at the GAD winning posts from the last few days, most of them struggle to get into double figures with good honest debate. If they do reach double figures the majority of the posts have absolutely nothing to do with the topic and are just wasting space. We have a chat forum, and that is why I put this here, because I wanted to get right to the heart of the problem, lets keep the chatter in here and not in Prime or sony or Nintendo etc.
Mon 22/10/01 at 22:58
Regular
"I like cheese"
Humm...I have thought hard over this, and the only thing I really have to offer is that we change this into a general chat forum (which it is, basically,) and then all the people who want to have MSN chats on here can go there, leaving everyone else on the one and only FOG Forum, who are willing to discuss the topic in a detailed way, with a bit of humour and a bit of off-topic chat along the way.
Mon 22/10/01 at 21:50
Regular
"( . ) ( . )"
Your Honour wrote:
> Grix Thraves wrote:
> Your Honour wrote:

"It's just chit
> chat."

Which has degenerated
> into something that sounds remarkably
> simular, however.

Nit nat?

Wit wat?

Git gat?

Hit hat?

Pit
> pat?

Kit kat?

Poo shat? (I can't get that word through the filter, eve
> with stars and stuff. How did you do it?)

Lit lat?

The possibilites are
> endless....

YH, you are too much!
Mon 22/10/01 at 21:50
"High polygon count"
Your Honour wrote:
> (I can't get that word through the filter, eve
> with stars and stuff. How did you do it?)

He put a comma on the end - the filter doesn't seem to work on that.
Mon 22/10/01 at 21:48
Regular
Grix Thraves wrote:
> Your Honour wrote:

"It's just chit chat."

Which has degenerated
> into something that sounds remarkably simular, however.

Nit nat?

Wit wat?

Git gat?

Hit hat?

Pit pat?

Kit kat?

Poo shat? (I can't get that word through the filter, eve with stars and stuff. How did you do it?)

Lit lat?

The possibilites are endless....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.