GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A topic by Grix Thraves"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 22/10/01 at 18:00
Regular
Is there nothing more demeaning and pathetic than being seventeen years old, and being stuck inside a house, doing little but pretending that you're not really there? Hoping and wishing that you can be somewhere, someone else? Can we honestly compare ourselves to people who go outside and garden all day, spend their lives looking after animals and treating the sick?

A man with a job still makes him a man, and beyond that, still puts him in the same position as us. Everything, yes, everything, is escapism. Be it watching a film, doing work, going down the shops... just to look around.

For what can we achieve in our lives that would matter one single bit to anyone when we die? For some generation to come along and look at us, wonder how wonderful we were and where we got our ideas from, perhaps take inspiration in what we've done...

But they die too. In the end, all we may do by letting ourselves live on is to help more people escape. Utterly devoid of sense as we all go to work, come home, discuss more methods of escaping from whatever we are possibly trying to escape from and into, and then go to bed, not a worry in the world, as we spend another day doing nothing and being no more than humans stuck somewhere where we can do little but try to express our emotions, as I do now.

So how on earth can we judge people by what future they have? Yeah, we can have a laugh, and escape for that brief moment... but those without grand jobs and making hundreds of thousands a year can have fun too. We spend far too much of our life worrying about what the rest of it will be like, and we waste so much of it trying to stay within the parametres of those set out to try and regain normality in a world that seems less and less sane the longer you stare at it.

So, what difference is there to playing a game to finding your dream job? What possible distinction is there between falling in love and getting a high score? It's all the same thing in the end, utter nonsense escapism. Simple emotions to try and keep us all happy until the one day that we all snuff it.

I'm not saying I don't want to find a dream job, and fall in love...

And here's the point...

Why on earth are gamers made out to be geeks? What possible harm to anyone including ourselves are we doing by playing games?

What? Instead of our larger leg muscles wasting away after playing football all our lives, our masculine finger muscles will now waste away, obviously making that so awful?

Exactly the same reason why some drugs are banned, and why some films are being censored to "protect" us. It can all be catagorised under the same heading, so why do so many people have a problem with things that aren't normal?

I have no real want or need to dance down a street naked, but why can't I if I want to? Would I harm anyone?

Not at all. But the fact is that we are so closly bound by what we've been bought up to believe that it's so difficult to see past our noses and realise that we're not so different after all.

And on that I end this topic. I don't pose any questions, I don't ask you to reply. It's just something I felt like saying at the time.
Mon 22/10/01 at 20:43
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Get a motorbike and go trail biking :D
Mon 22/10/01 at 20:50
Regular
Strafex wrote:

"And THAT is why a social life is important."

Good point, and excellently made. But would someone who works alone be more creative than someone who works in a team, as they would be under less pressure to work...

Let me put it a different way. Where is the most pressure? Pressure from competition of collegues, or pressure from your own personal perfectionism? Does he who works alone work harder than he who works together?

Would his ideas be the same, would he become stronger in which areas?

It's a good discussion point.
Mon 22/10/01 at 21:14
Regular
Both situations have their ups and downs.

Like you said, a person working on their own has their own pace and no pressure. They can do what they want.

A person in a team has a bit more pressure to keep working but there's also a spool of ideas.

You learn lots from other people's view.
They can find flaws that you've missed and they might give solutions that you never saw before.

The problem is, strong disagreements can form in a team and this will hinder rather help the devellopment of the project.

Working as a team is important for sharing and recieving knowledge. It is how many people build up experience.

A fighter practices karate at a plastic dummy and perfects his moves.
The other practices with a partner.
He doesn't neccessarily get the moves to right but he learns how to implement them in a fight and what consequences go with every move he makes.

Which one will be better in a real fight.

At the same time, the one with a partner is under pressure to stay at the same pace as his partner.
He might have to slow down his learning oto let his partner catch up or rush to catch up with his partner.

I think that for true success, you need to find the optimum between your own work and team work.

Your own work lets you do things your own way.
It lets you go at your own pace.
This is what the foundations and building blocks of your project should be based on.

From this foundation, you call your colleagues to build on your knowledge and input ideas.
They can also help mend cracks in the foundations.

I think Shigeru Miyamoto uses this style of work.

Forms an idea, does the gound work and then gets the team to expand on it, helping it grow and bloom.
Mon 22/10/01 at 21:25
Regular
Strafex wrote:

"Forms an idea, does the ground work and then gets the team to expand on it, helping it grow and bloom."

Basically yup. Same sort of thing with the stories, apart from the fact we're unable to talk about it, and end up confusing each other. :0)
Mon 22/10/01 at 21:33
Regular
Lol!

Strafex also wrote:

The problem is, strong disagreements can form in a team and this will
> hinder rather help the devellopment of the project.

I had that situation covered! :-)

That's another thing. People have to be careful to stay as a team and not wander too far down their own tracks, otherwise the tracks begin to go off in different directions and the project gets derailed.

People in a team have to change direction slowly and make sure that the rest of the team follow them in this direction. If they rest of the team don't want to go that way then this member must reluctantly stick with them and openly accept things this way.

This is why people with similar interests work so well together - they want to travel in the same direction.

Miyamoto is keen with working with Naka.
I don't think he'd work so well with Suzuki though.

Different styles lead into different directions.
Mon 22/10/01 at 22:13
Regular
I'll tell you what.

We seem to have gone down a line of conversation that no one else understands (there might be one or two others but I think that most are clueless), and have dwelved deep into escape routes that no one else has visited before.

We're now babbling on in a way that no one else understands.

We've officially become the forum "Geeks"!

:-D

(not quite true as we are still able to communicate with others down a different line of conversation)
Mon 22/10/01 at 22:29
Mee mee ha meehaa hee ahaaa mee ha. *sniff*
Mon 22/10/01 at 22:46
Regular
"not dead"
I think gamers are less 'geeky' now than they were 5 years ago.

And no, I don't think that this is down to the Playstation.

Basically 10 years ago, or so, games were seen as for kids, and they weren't really about when these kids parents were young.

So anyone slightly older that played games was seem as childish, or geeky.

Now there are many parents out there that played games as kids, so there's a whole generation of old gamers, or ex-gamers out there, so it's more widespread, and less geeky.

Geeks are pioneers.

Probably.
Mon 22/10/01 at 22:51
Regular
Good point Meka.

The kids brought up on games grew into gamers.

Gaming became a widely accepted escape route.

You still get called a geek if you do it too much though.
Mon 22/10/01 at 23:04
Regular
"I like cheese"
I've struggled to interpret this post, but I think I get the main gist of it.

I think that you're saying something about being classed as 'normal,' or how you would class normal. Normal was created by humans, right? Perhaps millions of years ago people wouldn't of been surprised or 'sickened' by the sight of a man dancing naked around the road.

People think you're 'abnormal' if you don't go out very much, or you prefer to be alone. That's not really 'abnormal', it's just something humans created.

Am I right? Probably not...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.