GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A topic by Grix Thraves"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 22/10/01 at 18:00
Regular
Is there nothing more demeaning and pathetic than being seventeen years old, and being stuck inside a house, doing little but pretending that you're not really there? Hoping and wishing that you can be somewhere, someone else? Can we honestly compare ourselves to people who go outside and garden all day, spend their lives looking after animals and treating the sick?

A man with a job still makes him a man, and beyond that, still puts him in the same position as us. Everything, yes, everything, is escapism. Be it watching a film, doing work, going down the shops... just to look around.

For what can we achieve in our lives that would matter one single bit to anyone when we die? For some generation to come along and look at us, wonder how wonderful we were and where we got our ideas from, perhaps take inspiration in what we've done...

But they die too. In the end, all we may do by letting ourselves live on is to help more people escape. Utterly devoid of sense as we all go to work, come home, discuss more methods of escaping from whatever we are possibly trying to escape from and into, and then go to bed, not a worry in the world, as we spend another day doing nothing and being no more than humans stuck somewhere where we can do little but try to express our emotions, as I do now.

So how on earth can we judge people by what future they have? Yeah, we can have a laugh, and escape for that brief moment... but those without grand jobs and making hundreds of thousands a year can have fun too. We spend far too much of our life worrying about what the rest of it will be like, and we waste so much of it trying to stay within the parametres of those set out to try and regain normality in a world that seems less and less sane the longer you stare at it.

So, what difference is there to playing a game to finding your dream job? What possible distinction is there between falling in love and getting a high score? It's all the same thing in the end, utter nonsense escapism. Simple emotions to try and keep us all happy until the one day that we all snuff it.

I'm not saying I don't want to find a dream job, and fall in love...

And here's the point...

Why on earth are gamers made out to be geeks? What possible harm to anyone including ourselves are we doing by playing games?

What? Instead of our larger leg muscles wasting away after playing football all our lives, our masculine finger muscles will now waste away, obviously making that so awful?

Exactly the same reason why some drugs are banned, and why some films are being censored to "protect" us. It can all be catagorised under the same heading, so why do so many people have a problem with things that aren't normal?

I have no real want or need to dance down a street naked, but why can't I if I want to? Would I harm anyone?

Not at all. But the fact is that we are so closly bound by what we've been bought up to believe that it's so difficult to see past our noses and realise that we're not so different after all.

And on that I end this topic. I don't pose any questions, I don't ask you to reply. It's just something I felt like saying at the time.
Wed 24/10/01 at 17:56
Yes its just like I said:

"Only when we are of one conscious mind can we truly decide what is right and what is wrong"

Ok, so mine is a little poncy and was on another subject, but its also applicable here!

I'm soooo wise. Praise me!
Wed 24/10/01 at 17:53
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Ahhh yes, the philosphy of it all - unfortunately grix, these bonds that have been created will take as long to disappear as they were formed - stigmas will never go umless EVERYONE gets rid of them.......sigh.
Wed 24/10/01 at 17:48
A) Always try to regret things you have done rather than things you haven't.

B) Try to learn to live with your regrets

C) Pull your trousers up, you look daft
Wed 24/10/01 at 17:47
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
I suppose the prospect of living in regret for the rest of your miserable life would be torture, eh YH? Especially when you're 80-odd years old.

SHOCKY
Wed 24/10/01 at 17:40
Regular
Everyone dies, so there's no point worrying about it.

What I'm scared of though, is getting to 80 odd years old (or whatever) and thinking "I wish I'd done so and so, when I was younger."

THAT is what scares me.
Wed 24/10/01 at 17:37
I fear other peoples deaths, I don't really fear my own. I'm not saying I have a deathwish, or even that I won't avoid confrontation, but my death doesn't scare me.

Pain on the otherhand, I could do without.....
Wed 24/10/01 at 16:57
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Ignorance is bliss, but if you're desparate, use denial.

On the occasions I've thought *deeply* about death, it's terrified me.

So deny it will happen until I see the end. Ageing isn't necessary. Maybe it'll be cured or halted by the time I'm old? Accidents can happen, but they might not. If you can't tell me how I'll die, there's no need for it to happen.

Hope is a great thing.
Tue 23/10/01 at 22:52
Ignorance is indeed bliss.

Like when the World Trade centre was attacked and collapsed and stuff, it was on TV all the live long day and at first I couldn't stop watching it, me and a couple of my friends were all shaken, we didn't really understand why it was just plain weird.

Then I stopped watching the news, now I have absolutrely no idea whats going on in the world, apparently we're at war or something, but harsh as it may seem, I jusy don't want to know.
Tue 23/10/01 at 22:45
Regular
Which is better? Belly or Sofa?

I say sofa.

Back on topic... perhaps happiness is ignorance. Horrible thing to say, but it seems quite right. Happiness is in denial of the fact that as every day goes past you get closer and closer to death.

The answer to your question Venombyte is death, but it's not something I really want to think about too hard. Ignorance, and all that.
Tue 23/10/01 at 22:02
Regular
"smile, it's free"
The belly too, of course.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.