GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Panzer Dragoon"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Panzer Dragoon'.
Mon 23/06/03 at 17:51
Regular
Is sooo boring!

Does it get better?

(I'm at the third boss)
Mon 23/06/03 at 21:22
Regular
"8==="
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> If you liked the On Rail sections in Red Faction 2 then you can't hate
> the completley. The On Rail sections in Halo 2 look absolultley
> fantastic so far and thankfully they are kept short so you don't spend
> all your time holding the trigger.

Is said the were 'fairly decent'. They didn't detract from the game. The ones in the Bond's an MoH did detract from the games they were in.
Mon 23/06/03 at 21:36
Regular
The Red Faction 2 bit where you're gunning people down in the helicopter was sweeeeeeeeet.
Mon 23/06/03 at 21:37
Regular
"8==="
Passable. :D
Mon 23/06/03 at 21:38
Regular
"8==="
Have you played the multi yet?
Mon 23/06/03 at 22:12
Regular
I like it a bit more now.

But it's still not a patch on Starwing or Lylat Wars. It may be pretty, but the levels are incredibly dull and bland, and there's no interactivity with it at all.

One level you're just flying through a blue sky. And that's it. No scenary, nothing. The only other things that appear are the enemy ships you're shooting down. Another level is a sort of desert thing, it has a grey sand like floor, and a grey sky.

Compare that to the Lylat Wars desert level in the Landmaster. You went through big valleys and gorges. Pillars of rock crumbled and collapsed around you, giant sandworms burst out of the sand and lunged at you. It was so much more interesting.

Go and replay the first level of Panzer Dragoon Orta, because that's what the rest of the game should be like. You're being chased through a burning city; there are fire and explosions going on, you have to dodge crumbling buildings and fly at high speed through narrow sewers.

The rest of the game so far has just taken place in an empty sky or above a plain, flat, open field. Starwing and Lylat Wars had you flying through asteroid fields, giant spaceship graveyards, chasing a train, exploring underwater, flying inside huge motherships and destroy the core. You had all those secrets where you had to work quickly to shoot open all the warp activators whilst avoiding floating wreckage and incoming fire. And of course, there was the independance day style mission with the flood of incoming alien ships.

Panzer may be longer and harder than Lylat Wars (not Starwing though, that was tough), but Smilebit could sure learn a lot from Nintendo about how to make on rails shooters exciting.

Now, lets just hope Starfox Armada returns to proper Arwing action and disgards everything Rare ever did for the franchise.
Mon 23/06/03 at 22:41
Regular
"gsybe you!"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> If you like shooting games and extremely gorgeous graphics then I
> think you would be in for a treat with Panzer Dragoon.

I do, but PDO is just so flipping boring. I HATE on rails shooters.
Mon 23/06/03 at 22:42
Regular
That brings me round to the question...

Why in the name of Rick Waller did you buy an on rails shooter if you don't bloody like them?
Mon 23/06/03 at 22:44
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Which as a consequence, means I find the on rails bits of Lylat Wars a bit tedious, but okay cos of what WS said is in them (it is a lot of fun, unlike PDO) but the freeform sections were fantastic.
Mon 23/06/03 at 22:44
Regular
Considering he doesn't own an Xbox, I don't think Cyclone did buy PDO.
Mon 23/06/03 at 22:45
Regular
Why play it then? I don't like console strategy games so I don't go near them.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.