GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"No Swearing - Hybrid has his Ban hat on!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 23/06/03 at 20:18
Regular
I was just seleting my team for a game of Pro Evo earlier today when

BOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!

....well, not quite that dramatic, but almost. Anyway, the screen goes black with jagged white lines running up it. The green light is now flashing green. The blue light isn't on.

I try to turn off the console by pressing the green button. No luck. Can't reset it either. "Main power switch!" I thought, and it worked. The thing went off.

So back on the console goes after a few minutes to cool. Main power switch, standby switch....and it's flashing again. Damn. Turn it off again.

Another few minutes, and I try again. This time while the standby button is on red, I decide to try the disc tray. Whoops, that doesn't work either.

So now I'm stuck with an expensive flashing doorstop. Oh, and it has my game in and won't give it back. I've tried the manual, and that's about as helpful as being spat on. So what the hell is wrong with my PS2?
Wed 25/06/03 at 18:53
"period drama"
What the f....
Wed 25/06/03 at 18:51
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
DW wrote:
> And to get your disc out, can't you just
> do what PC CD rom drives have? Stick a long thin thing in the little
> hole but the CD tray to open it?

Not much good having the disc with no PS2 to play it on, so I won't bother.

As far as turning it off goes, I usually hold the green button until the light goes red, then turn it off at the main power switch. I don't know if this makes any difference at all.
Wed 25/06/03 at 18:48
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
I wondered how long it would take for them to change the topic name. Anyway...

WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> Blank wrote:
> 1) It's been sitting there since it was released (what is
> that....nearly three years?) and I've never had a problem before.
>
> Cumulative effect.

Yes, I can see what you mean, but don't you think it odd that it took three years? That's a hell of a lot of PS2 use, as I play it quite often.

> 2) The holes in the cable box are mainly situated at the sides - ie
> designed for things to be stacked on it.
>
> No, no, no, no, no! It should never have anything stacked on it! You
> should have at least 3 inches of space on top and all sides to allow
> air to circulate around it. And certainly no heat source beneath
> it.

I was talking about stacking the PS2 ON the cable box. There is nothing on the PS2 or at the sides of the PS2. My point is that it was obviously expected that people would stack things on it, as there are holes on the sides (also some on top - although half seem to be fake holes, which is what makes me believe it was partly designed to be stacked on).

> 3) I wasn't covering any holes.
>
> That doesn't matter. The heat from your cable box will have travelled
> into the PS2 by both conduction and convection. Where the PS2 was in
> contact with the box, heat will have been conducted straight through
> the case - it's black and absorbs heat. Plus, your PS2's cooling fan
> will have been sucking warm air into the machine as it rose from the
> cable box.

What I meant was that the PS2 wasn't making the cable box any hotter than it would be anyway. And as the PS2 always has to be near electrical equipment anyway (TV etc), it'll always be taking in warm air.

> As I said - cumulative effect. Obviously, your PS2 is made entirely
> from plastic and metal - both of which are affected quite drastically
> by heat.
>
> The fact that your PS2 had only been on a few minutes when it gave up
> is largely irrelevant - what has happened is more than likely the
> result of the extended periods of play over those 3 years. The
> machine has probably been being affected constantly since you placed
> it there; it's just taken this long for the effects to build to the
> point where they stopped it from functioning.

I still find it odd that it took so long. I've had twelve hour sessions on this thing, and it's always been fine. I'm not saying you're wrong, I think it is this problem myself, but I just find it odd.
Tue 24/06/03 at 20:17
"period drama"
Darwock wrote:
> You're supposed to put it in standby first, I heard a long time ago
> that switching it off completely might cause harm to the motherboard.
> But I guess it wasn't that.

Well, I've been turning it straight off at the main switch for about 2 and a half years now, and my PS2 seems to be the only one still working in the whole country : P
Maybe it's a trick - if you put it into standby first, it'll break, then Sony get a whole load of money.
Tue 24/06/03 at 19:59
Regular
http://pub49.ezboard.com/fthepsxworksh (SPACE) opfrm5.showMessage?topicID=518.topic

Doesn't give any help, but ah well :cD

Has the same problem as you. And to get your disc out, can't you just do what PC CD rom drives have? Stick a long thin thing in the little hole but the CD tray to open it?
Tue 24/06/03 at 19:51
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
You're supposed to put it in standby first, I heard a long time ago that switching it off completely might cause harm to the motherboard. But I guess it wasn't that.
Tue 24/06/03 at 19:50
"High polygon count"
Blank wrote:
> 1) It's been sitting there since it was released (what is
> that....nearly three years?) and I've never had a problem before.

Cumulative effect.

> 2) The holes in the cable box are mainly situated at the sides - ie
> designed for things to be stacked on it.

No, no, no, no, no! It should never have anything stacked on it! You should have at least 3 inches of space on top and all sides to allow air to circulate around it. And certainly no heat source beneath it.

> 3) I wasn't covering any holes.

That doesn't matter. The heat from your cable box will have travelled into the PS2 by both conduction and convection. Where the PS2 was in contact with the box, heat will have been conducted straight through the case - it's black and absorbs heat. Plus, your PS2's cooling fan will have been sucking warm air into the machine as it rose from the cable box.

> 4) The event happened at a time when the PS2 had only been on a matter
> of minutes, and the cable hadn't been on very long - neither were very
> hot. The cable box was still giving out some heat, as it always does
> (for no specified reason) but it wasn't exactly the hottest it's ever
> been.
>
>
> So it may have been overheating, indeed you might even say it probably
> was this, but don't you think it strange that it took nigh on three
> years to happen?

As I said - cumulative effect. Obviously, your PS2 is made entirely from plastic and metal - both of which are affected quite drastically by heat.

The fact that your PS2 had only been on a few minutes when it gave up is largely irrelevant - what has happened is more than likely the result of the extended periods of play over those 3 years. The machine has probably been being affected constantly since you placed it there; it's just taken this long for the effects to build to the point where they stopped it from functioning.
Tue 24/06/03 at 19:02
"period drama"
I always turn the main power switch off.
Just to be safe.
Tue 24/06/03 at 17:00
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
You hold it a second or two, and it goes to standby with the light turning red. That's what I meant.
Tue 24/06/03 at 16:52
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Just curious, but how do you normally switch off your PS2 when the light is green?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.