GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What's with the homophobia?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 24/06/03 at 12:54
Regular
"This is gay"
"That's gay"
2 topics with gay as an insult, have read about "fudge-packing ID nazis" "beardy gay games"

So? When was it wrong to be homosexual?
Am I in Time Bandits or Bill and Ted's or something? Have I ended up in The Middle Ages or Church of England? (I'd say Catholic but child molestation humour is soooo '02)
Tue 24/06/03 at 13:50
Regular
"Hmmm....."
;oD
Tue 24/06/03 at 13:56
Regular
"Hmmm....."
> It was meant jokingly, don't ANALyse everything.

So what would you say if someone used the 'n' word, or any other racist term 'jokingly', hmmn...'CrazyCol' and 'outcast' are the words that spring to mind.

And I am not stuck in any particular stage of psychosexual development if that's what you're use of capital letters implies. And I like analysing things, leave me be.
Tue 24/06/03 at 13:58
Regular
"Hmmm....."
Arent you the same Deb, Toms sister, who enjoys insulting little friends of Toms such as Azul with your big, grown-up friends of yours?
Tue 24/06/03 at 15:41
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Using 'gay' as descriping some as being crap/rubbish etc had crept into my vocabularly and I wish it kinda hadn't because I'm not homophobic at all.

Tsk Tsk
Tue 24/06/03 at 15:53
Regular
"Hmmm....."
Hercules! wrote:
> Arent you the same Deb, Toms sister, who enjoys insulting little
> friends of Toms such as Azul with your big, grown-up friends of yours?

What? I've spoken to Azul before, and he's an OK bloke. What my friends do is not my responsibility, but I haven't insulted him myself.
Tue 24/06/03 at 15:58
Regular
"  "
DébUK wrote:
>
> So what would you say if someone used the 'n' word, or any other
> racist term 'jokingly', hmmn...'CrazyCol' and 'outcast' are the words
> that spring to mind.
>
What's Colin ever done to you!?!?
Tue 24/06/03 at 16:04
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
Yeah, I've always associated the word gay with incredible stupidity or plain rubbishness.

At school...
Teacher: "What's the capital of France?"
Sarah: "It's Madrid, sir!"
Me: "Sir, Sarah's being gay!"

Although I seldom use the term now I know that the majority of forums member aren't being homophobic, but instead are being insulting. Obviously, just like in the past when "gay" meant something joyous and lighthearted, the meaning of the word has changed over the years. Like most words, in fact.

Surely, you can discern this, Goatboy, or are you just throwing oil on the fire and playing devil's advocate to provoke a reaction?
Tue 24/06/03 at 16:08
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Moi?

I just dont see any difference between "you're so gay" as an insult and something equally as discriminatory like "You're such a nig-nog".
Can you see my point?
The word may have changed meaning from being happy etc to being used as a term of derogative insult, but why is ok to call someone "gay" because you think they/it is stupid/worthless, yet were I to call you a "stinking coon" then, rightfully, I'd be shown the door and hopefully beaten up.

An insult is still an insult, especially one specifically designed to target a minority group that faces continual prejudice from Joe Public.
Tue 24/06/03 at 16:38
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
Well, "stinking coon" has no other meaning apart from a racist one, whereas calling someone "gay" has.

But, I see your point.

However, what about when someone's called a "tard" which is (based on your theory) equally as insulting? Have you ever called someone a "tard"?
So, if you haven't called someone a "tard" before, fair enough and I apologise for the inference. However, if you have, then you can understand my point?

Anyway, either way, I'm not too bothered. Anyone who is actively homophobic should wake up and get a life - we're living in the real world and someone's sexual tendencies shouldn't be the subject of base derogatory, puerile insults. But alas, not everyone shares my opinion.
Tue 24/06/03 at 16:50
"Darth Vader 3442321"
And to think that in bygone years calling someone gay meant that they were happy.

Where has the laughter gone?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.