GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"KaZaA outlawed?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 29/06/03 at 19:21
Regular
Whether or not there is a grain of truth in this, I dont know.

I just heard from a friend that KaZaA (The thing that provides free MP3's and stuff) has being outlawed and if you continue to use it that music giants such as Warner Bros and Sony are going to begin prosecuting people.

Apparently this was on BBC news, which I didn't see today, but surely someone out there did.

So is this true or just a hoax to put people off downloading stuff?
Mon 30/06/03 at 12:22
Regular
"Not a Jew"
There are usually about 4 million people on KaZaa, but only 3 million on now. Probably just a coincidence though.
Mon 30/06/03 at 11:12
Regular
"Hallelujah"
*wipes tear* Poor poor napster. I loved that program!
Mon 30/06/03 at 09:53
Regular
"cachoo"
I think it's a load of balls. Just like most of you have already said, they're probably saying it just to scare people.

*stop sharing*
Mon 30/06/03 at 09:50
Regular
"Trout a la creme"
vincent vega wrote:
> the police wont have time to do it with soo many people downloading
> files everyday. any way they are only doing it in america at the
> moment and they are only going after people with vast amounts of
> files. i have about 900 but they wont bother with me because there are
> people with thousands.

Thats how I read the original news story, that they were going after the users who download and share large amounts of files.

"A US judge recently ruled the Morpheus software was not responsible for the distribution of copyright-infringing music files."
-From a bbc report, I suppose this is why they are threatening action on the individual high user of the peer to peer programs, to try to remove some of the content that could be downloaded and to scare people into not using it.
Mon 30/06/03 at 09:43
Regular
in the newspaper its been saying things like how they are going after individual users and charging a minimum of $150,000 per song downloaded. they are going after the people that are sharing there files, so if you disable the file share option you should be okay
Mon 30/06/03 at 09:03
Regular
"Ah the mystic porta"
Parr wrote:
> They give out details to the authorities like the police in order to
> help stop hackers and such. If the record compan ies want it so bad
> then they can jsut get the police to trace you.

the police wont have time to do it with soo many people downloading files everyday. any way they are only doing it in america at the moment and they are only going after people with vast amounts of files. i have about 900 but they wont bother with me because there are people with thousands.
Mon 30/06/03 at 08:55
Regular
"^_^"
They give out details to the authorities like the police in order to help stop hackers and such. If the record compan ies want it so bad then they can jsut get the police to trace you.
Mon 30/06/03 at 08:52
Regular
"Ah the mystic porta"
Parr wrote:
> It is not a matter of spyware. YOu can be traced by the simple pinging
> of your ip. This pinging can be done as soon as you connect to someone
> to download from.
>
> They ping you, trace you to your isp. Ask the isp for your address and
> details, then come and kick you ass...

your isp cant give out your details as they would be breaking the data protection act
Mon 30/06/03 at 08:47
Regular
"^_^"
It is not a matter of spyware. YOu can be traced by the simple pinging of your ip. This pinging can be done as soon as you connect to someone to download from.

They ping you, trace you to your isp. Ask the isp for your address and details, then come and kick you ass...
Mon 30/06/03 at 08:23
Regular
"everyone says it"
Well, if you own the original release of the music then its legal for you to have a copy.

Yes, I own all these songs and stuff. ;)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.