GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What a line-up.....!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 26/07/03 at 16:55
Regular
I've just been looking through the new XBM mag, issue 22, and the line-up of new X-Box games for this year and the beginning of next looks fantastic.

Project Gotham 2
Half-life 2
Freedom Fighters
Colin McRae 4
Conker: Live and Uncut
Driver 3
True Crime
Armed and Dangerous
Star Wars: KOTOR
Soul Calibur 2
Broken Sword
Mafia
Worms 3D
Dead or Alive 4 and DOA online
MOH: Rising Sun
Doom 3
Halo 2
Fable
Shenmue 3
Full Spectrum Warrior
Splinter Cell 2
Tony Hawks Underground

Everyone of those games look to be winners and extremely enjoyable games, and if the rumours are true we could also see a port of Vice City on the way to X-Box, and in this particular mag, they say that GTA3 will be included with Vice City. So to me the future of the X-Box looks very bright indeed and I'm really glad I got it now.
Tue 29/07/03 at 00:02
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> I am not saying you are wrong for liking SSX Tricky more but with the
> brilliant physics and trick system implemented in Amped I can't
> understand why you wouldn't prefer it?!

---

Realism levels are probably a factor.

SSX Tricky is more over-the-top and unrealistic, and that's what I like in a game. Yes, Amped was based around tricks, but it was also a lot more realistic, in as you mentioned, physics, and with its trick system.

And realistic I don't usually like. I don't know why, but I've always been Mario Kart over Gran Turismo, Mario over Lara, and in this case, Tricky over Amped.
Tue 29/07/03 at 00:08
Regular
I agree. As I said Amped is more of a simulation snowboarding game. Its not in the same category as GT3 with its car upgrade system or ridiculously lenghty tracks but its harder to settle into than an SSX game. As you say, SSX games are more unrealistic and at points hard to believe and thats what the market seems to want. Amped did sell 1 million copies though within the first few months as the Xbox became the only console to have multiple launch titles shift more than 1 million copies each.

With the additional LIVE modes, tweaked visuals and physics engine along with another few albums worth of music I am sure it will be a great game. Despite the fact that there were around 17 albums worth of music already on there I still opted for the Custom sound track option. In games like this its crucial to have Custom sound support, something which the Gran Turismo series is in need of badly. If I had listened to the Feeder sound tracks on GT3 any longer I think I would have ripped my mouth out and fitted a CD drive with the latest Feeder album in it :)
Tue 29/07/03 at 00:13
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Yup. Gran Turismo 4 really will need help from PS2 online if it is to keep the gamers happy. The ability to download songs would help, as in a game that takes around 100 hours to actually complete, you can't just listen to the same 10 songs over and over. True boredom will ensue.

Although the game itself really needs some tweakage too. Although there was just so much to do, there wasn't that much actual variation in the game. "Do three tracks with one car. Now do the same three tracks with a different car. Now do 10 tracks using these same three tracks in different forms." It's more a chore than anything else.

And on a related-but-different note, I can't wait for F-Zero GX.
Tue 29/07/03 at 00:23
Regular
Mario Kart, Project Gotham 2 and F Zero for me this year! That will keep me happy in that department.

I have no remote interest in GT4 and unless Sony decide to gut the game (highly unlikely) and go for the Project Gotham style then I won't be going near it.

With the cone challaneges and extra modes which Project Gotham offers I can't see myself reverting back to the '100 laps around an oval track only to find I have unlocked a car which I don't want or that I have had sat in my garage for months without fueling up'. The game will be yet *ANOTHER* massive hit for the PS2 and it seems that Sony can happily rely on the Gran Turismo, Grand Theft Auto and Metal Gear labels to keep their console way ahead of the competition.

Such a sad fact that the GameCube with titles like Zelda, Skies of Arcadia and Eternal Darkness but to name a few will always lag behind in terms of sales. Enter the Matrix (PS2) in one weekend sold more copies than Zelda did in its first week.

On a very scary note developers (aside from the genius that is Nintendo) are surely going to look at this and think "why the hell aren't we getting these cheap move licenses?!" In Whitestripes' post a couple of weeks back he commented on selling up because the future was just more movie >>> game cash ins and very few titles worth getting. Sadly I can one day see this happening.

One day very soon indeed...
Tue 29/07/03 at 00:52
Regular
"8==="
> Project Gotham 2 - Might get.
> Half-life 2 - A pack of wild dogs could not prevent me from getting this.
> Freedom Fighters - Need to look at what this is.
> Colin McRae 4 - God no.
> Conker: Live and Uncut - Yup, online tooled up with plenty of extras and now you can 3 weapons at a time!
> Driver 3 - First 2 were crap. This next gen version should be better.
> True Crime - *reserves judgement* it's all in the gameplay for this one.
> Armed and Dangerous - Not sure.
> Star Wars: KOTOR - Might get.
> Soul Calibur 2 - God no.
> Broken Sword - Need to look at what this is.
> Mafia - Not sure.
> Worms 3D - Most likely.
> Dead or Alive 4 and DOA online - God no.
> MOH: Rising Sun - Only because I'm crazy for FPS games.
> Doom 3 - See Half-life 2
> Halo 2 - See Half Life 2
> Fable - Should be good.
> Shenmue 3 - Not my thing.
> Full Spectrum Warrior - Looks good.
> Splinter Cell 2 - Multiplayer? Sign me up!
> Tony Hawks Underground - If it has guns... :D
>

I'd like to add RAW 2 to the list as this game is looking like the game I've wanted many a wrestling game to be. A 4 player career mode has been lacking in any decent wrestling game for a while now, so it's about time someone did one! apparetly RAW sticks closely to No Mercy's engine on the 64. I'm getting the first one in a swap.

Another game i'm looking forward to is BG:DA II. Good old hack 'n slash and 2 player too! I posted a link in this forum so take a gander. :)

I'm also looking forward to the Morrowind and Ghost Recon add-ons.

PM said morrowind was 'crap' (that's about all he said) so you can discount his opinion pretty much on the basis of that statement.
Tue 29/07/03 at 01:12
Regular
Nearly as quickly as I can discount yours for saying "God no" to Dead or Alive 4 :)

As for RAW...

I picked it up for under £10 new and I still enjoy playing it to this date. The engine is much slower than No Mercy however the comparisons can be made with the grapple system. The game is really like playing a RAW show through. Fantastic visuals, most realistic entrances to date and a reasonable fight engine.

The game is let down by a sheer lack of game modes and a slow moving character system. Hopefully with the new additions of Hell in a Cell, TLC as well as a 4 player career mode it should be a sneak hit of the year. I have my fingers crossed on this one as I believe it will be the game that RAW promised to be.
Tue 29/07/03 at 01:25
Regular
"8==="
I don't really like fighters so I thought I'd do some quick dismissal of good games (like PM :D ).

There just not my thing. It was just my personal opinion and unlike PM I would not warn anyone of getting a good game just because a personally didn't like it.

I prefer games like RAW, No Mercy and Fighter Destiny as there is a level of strategy I appreciate plus there are multiple ways to take out an opponent (submission, pin, TKO, countout, Table?!).

If any good fighters you know of have these 'multiple ways to take an opponent out' I would be interested in knowing the names of the fighters as I will probably get them.

And RAW2 does look like a damn fine game. :)
Tue 29/07/03 at 01:36
Regular
I highly recommned the Ultimate Fighting Championship if thats the case. The original on the Dreamcast is still one of my favourite fighting/wrestling games to date. You can pick up the additional Xbox version which adds new features and new characters. You can win by Knockout/TKO/Submission and its a damn fine game. Takes a while to get used to but its a brilliant series that I really enjoy.

Then if you could find a copy of Fire Pro Wrestling anywhere for either the Dreamcast or PS2 I am sure you would be very happy. It was only released in Japan but is great fun to play and because there isn't a license required all of the main wrestling and fighting clubs were all compiled into one game. There is a WWF, WCW, UFC, Boxing mode etc but its all within a wrestling engine. Its a 2D wrestler but its a classic with many hidden depths. I still play my Dreamcast version for fun every now and again.

Seriously consider looking into the Ultimate Fighting Championship series though. If you could pick up a Dreamcast then you can get UFC for as little as 99p :)

Or you could go for the Xbox version which did make changes (mostly for the good) to the original. SR don't stock the Xbox UFC: Tapout game anymore but you can find it around the net. Highly recommended game!
Tue 29/07/03 at 01:43
Regular
"8==="
UFC has been on my list for a while now. :)

As has deathrow (dammit!)
Tue 29/07/03 at 10:05
Regular
Project Gotham 2 - Will definatly get! Probably my most anticipated racer of all time! The graphics looks stunning and argh! Yes i'm getting it.

Half-life 2 - Well well well. OF COURSE I'M DAMN GETTING THIS BEAUTY OF A TITLE! WHO WOULD'NT? It looks bloody awesome. Really really cannot wait for this.

Freedom Fighters - Well the screens i've seen make it look like some PSone title. Maybe because its in early development? I dunno - I'll have to look into this though

Colin McRae 4 - If it's better then the crap CM3 then i'll get it. But I dunno what codemasters are gonna do with it.

Conker: Live and Uncut - A Rare title on Xbox? HELL YEAH! Definatly getting a piece of this gaming history. :P

Driver 3 - The first 2 titles were the best games on the PSone in my opinion. So cool! DEFINATLY getting this! Looks the mutts...But the developer is keeping quiet about it

True Crime - I've seen videos of this and it looks good in the hand to hand combat I suppose. I'm a bit concerned its trying to be what its not (GTA)

Armed and Dangerous - What the hell is this? Never heard of it.

Star Wars: KOTOR - HELL YES! Be a jedi? Go over to the dark side? Explore the star wars universe? Yes please! I'm really excited about this title.

Soul Calibur 2 - No. I hate Beat em ups.

Broken Sword - Nah. Not my type of game if ya ask me.

Mafia - Hmmm. If they "improved" it for the Xbox I might consider. I dunno though. Still it looks good.

Worms 3D - If it works like Hogs of War did then i'll get it (God I loved Hogs of War)

Dead or Alive 4 and DOA online - No. I hate Beat em ups

MOH: Rising Sun - YES YES YES YES YES YES YES please. My only worry is EA will make it with the PS2 in mind and all the graphics will be awful etc. I hope they improve it. Excellent series.

Doom 3 - Well well well. OF COURSE I'M DAMN GETTING THIS BEAUTY OF A TITLE! WHO WOULD'NT? It looks bloody awesome. Really really cannot wait for this. The graphics look stunning! I think everyone is wanting this.

Halo 2 - Well well well. OF COURSE I'M DAMN GETTING THIS BEAUTY OF A TITLE! WHO WOULD'NT? It looks bloody awesome. Really really cannot wait for this. The sequel to the best Xbox game ever with stunning graphics. *mouth foams* Why oh why do we have to wait till 2004. Why!

Fable - If the developers pull off what they've been saying i'll be definatly getting this. It *sounds* awesome. But will it deliver its promises? All shall be revealed.

Shenmue 3 - Hae'nt even played the first two yet! I'll have to play them first before getting this I believe.

Full Spectrum Warrior - I don't know. Have'nt seen much of this one.

Splinter Cell 2 - Oh yes. An excellent stealth title gripped me for weeks. The sequel to it should be on par with brilliance.

Tony Hawks Underground - Hmmmm. Has anyone realised that the Abbreviation of this game spells "THUG" heh heh heh. Irony. I dunno. We'll have to see what they do with it.

Other games worth a mention: -

Vice City
BC
Prince of Persia
The movies
Hitman 3 (maybe)
Counter Strike
Kameo.

Oh I love my Xbox *hugs Xbox*

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.