GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"This new games programme on Sky 1."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 12/08/03 at 16:50
Regular
I haven't posted anything major on here for quite a while, but I feel it necessary to return, and moan.

I don't know if any of you have seen this programme, I can't be bothered to read back through countless pages to find out if you've talked about it either, but it's called "Gamezville" (note the use of the z instead of an s to make it appear more "street") and is on at 4pm until 5 on weekdays. I have tried watching this program twice, and have failed both times due to the overwhelming urge to stab myself in the brain till I no longer have memories of it.

The presenters seem to have been chosen on the basis of how much crap they can talk without starting to get bored, I doubt their status as "hardcore gamers" which they seem to claim and they seem little better informed than the people presenting that hideous awards show earlier in the year. The programme is interspersed with the joys of cheat sections from the "guru" (I think, I've never managed to actually force myself into watching more than about 7 minutes in a row), a man in what appears to be a monk's habit who talks like a retard on a crystal meth overdose.

One of the small upsides of this travesty is that it does contain reasonable amounts of actual game footage and shows real people playing the games for you to watch. Now if only they could get rid of the annoying ****-****'s (a cookie to the person who correctly guesses the profanity) talking over the top of it, trying to show how much they know by repeating what each other have said and apparently reading the blurb off the back of the box, then perhaps they could make a passable attempt at a decent programme.

It seems to me that this is yet another games programme aimed at what TV corporate executives seem to believe the gaming mass market is, young children. The presenters are like the rejects from CBBC, the technical depth I've seen appears to be limited to that understandable by 8 year olds, and it's aired at a time when anyone over the age of about 16 probably won't be home.

It almost makes me nostalgic for Gamesmaster...
Wed 20/08/03 at 19:46
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
Have you noticed that A) no one who appears in the audience is good looking B) They are all in fact exceedingly ugly C) Many are over weight D) Many are ridden with acne and E) Many have greasy short hair or long. It paints a very disturbing image of all the gamers in the UK.
Wed 20/08/03 at 18:30
Regular
"Sal Paradise"
Yeh I agree about the extremely poor quality of this show. I cant think of a single good thing about it. Heres why.

1) Like you said, the presenters are patronising, over enthusiastic morons who are still smiling from getting a job.

2) They are view the most awful games ever. E.g rubbish PC games that no one would want to buy. And then they give the game a bad score, but whats the point if its not worth looking at anyway. I didn't word that very well, but I just think they should feature essential games. Wario? No. That ghost rip off of the Sims? No. They need stuff like Soul Calibur 2, F-zero, Metal gear. The big games. Not the minor third party games that are churning out basic games.

3) That stupid games guru. The guy who wears a hood and they put on the echoey effect to make him sound mysterious and he always boasts about how he seemingly "has the knowledge".

4) The name. Its not good because it has a Z in it. Ok?

5) Their essential lists. Like the fighting one. How is Tekken 4 the best ever fighter?

6) The face offs. The kids always look bored but the presenters insist on hyping it up and getting over excited while the kid stands still and mutters "err...yeh".

7) It gives gaming a bad name. Every recent gaming show has been like this. Ridiculously cheesy with over the top scripts and pure content. Game shows need to smarten up and start making games look good and get people who know what they're talking about on it.

8) Get if off the bloody air!!
Wed 20/08/03 at 18:17
Regular
Bora† SagdiyeV wrote:
> What they should do is give a computer magazine like C&VG their
> own show. then maybe things might be done properly.

C&VG?

It'd feature crap articles, borin reviews and the occasionally attempt at a joke.

Edge deserves one.

But Edge is too cool to do anything like that.
Wed 20/08/03 at 18:15
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
Bora† SagdiyeV wrote:
> and contestants wearing glasses more akin to jam-jars.

Oi, I could take that personally.
Wed 20/08/03 at 14:39
Regular
I enjoyed the original post BEARDS. WHY ... do they continue to give gamers a geeky image, by having this sh*te shows on with talentless presenters, and contestants wearing glasses more akin to jam-jars.

For gods sake, this industry is no longer just for nerds and freaks with no lives, it is far wider reaching.

Gamesmaster was good, because even though it featured geeks and rubbish prizes (a golden joystick WOW), it had dominik diamond being sarcastic as hell and not really taking it seriously, which is what is needed.

I haven't seen ONE computer games show that's worth my time, from that stupid bint violet berlin, with a mouthful of razor blades (or so it sounds like), to that crappy 'award' ceremony you mentioned, to that Gamesworld that used to be on sky one ages ago. It's all horsesh*t.

What they should do is give a computer magazine like C&VG their own show. then maybe things might be done properly.
Wed 20/08/03 at 02:13
Regular
Who insulted 'sky at night'?
My point is we should be able to have an intellegent show, aimed at adults, for what is still seen by many as a minority interest. All this 'hip and cool' massmarket kiddie bull isn't necessary.
Wed 20/08/03 at 02:05
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
You ever insult the Sky at Night again, and I'll take your testes and feed them to Rednecks.
Wed 20/08/03 at 01:58
Regular
Got to agree on your opinions re: gamezville. It must be the worst example of a games related show yet. I understand thst it is really aimed at children but I am usually able to sit through a kids show without feeling the urge to put my foot through the screen. And don't even start me off on the 'guru'! I just want to set fire to his robe while he's still wearing it. Let's forget the commercial stations. We should be lobbying the BBC for a decent show. Whats wrong with something of the calibre of Film '03 that caters for intellegent adult gamers? And before someone teels us we are too small a niche, even 'the sky at night' gets a regular, albeit late night, programme.
Mon 18/08/03 at 01:16
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
They can't even speak properly - like most of the audience, I imagine. Why can't people get the hang of saying the "th" sound? IT IS NOT "FF".
Fri 15/08/03 at 12:12
Regular
Ineedsleep wrote:
> I am pleased to report I am completely cured and back to normal.

:)

It's not worth wasting 10 minutes of your life watching - Let alone 60...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.