GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"No. Please, no."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 27/09/01 at 16:16
Regular
Unless I imagined it, I just got a pop-up ad when I came here.

Say it ain't so, say SR haven't taken to pop-up ads.

Puh-lease say it ain't true.
Thu 27/09/01 at 16:47
"High polygon count"
Pop-ups are intrusive, that's the problem. A lot of people don't like being FORCED to look at something.

The ads at the top of the pages and elsewhere are fine... if they catch your eye, you can choose to look at them. Pop-ups slap you in the face and shout "read me" - at least that's how I look at it.

Apparently, revenue from banner ads etc. is in decline across the web; one web graphics site I visited yesterday actually had a message from the webmaster staing that he had removed all banner ads due to total lack of revenue.

So it seems obvious that people are getting incredibly peed off with advertising anyway... intrusive popup ads will only backfire, I reckon.

I realise that companies like SR need to make money, but - as odd as it sounds - these adverts aren't working, at least on a general level.
Thu 27/09/01 at 16:40
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Darkus wrote:
> Grandprix wrote:

I take it you designed it! :D

-yeah, sorry..

No need to be sorry. It worked on me! But I had decided to get a PS2 when I actually heard they were making them. Make what you want out of that.
Thu 27/09/01 at 16:38
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
But what's the big deal? Look at it, decide whether you're interested and make your decision. Close it, click it, big deal. We're only offering you a chance to buy something, not forcing you to view something hideous.
Thu 27/09/01 at 16:36
Regular
urgh some people are so unapreciative the good people at spez rez are trying to tell you about a huge(why didnt i wait) price drop and you all go mental about a little(very nice) pop-up...they give away free games and DVDs and all you lot can do is complain
shame on you shame on you all.....

too much?
Thu 27/09/01 at 16:35
"High polygon count"
I haven't had the popup yet, but I sincerely hope they don't become a standard part of SR's network.

For what it's worth... I never pay any attention to any window which is popped up by a website, other than to close it - so they don't work.

Adverts around the screen - top, sides etc. - I don't mind, but popups only serve to drive me away. I go to IGN much less these days, since they started Java popup ads.

I know form past discussions here that I'm not alone.
Thu 27/09/01 at 16:34
Regular
"..."
Grandprix wrote:

-yeah, sorry..
But I didn't actually put it up on the site though...
Thu 27/09/01 at 16:28
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
Bonus wrote:
> NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Speak of the devil!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, it does say One
> time only in the title, but is that excusable??

We've got to pay for all your free games somehow!
Thu 27/09/01 at 16:28
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Darkus wrote:
> I think it is the most beautiful pop up window in the world. Whoever designed it
> must be a genius...

Thu 27/09/01 at 16:27
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
It's not exactly a struggle to get rid of it though, is it? Just close it and forget you ever saw it. Or buy a PS2, either way is fine by us.
Thu 27/09/01 at 16:27
Regular
"..."
I think it is the most beautiful pop up window in the world. Whoever designed it must be a genius...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.