GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"No. Please, no."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 27/09/01 at 16:16
Regular
Unless I imagined it, I just got a pop-up ad when I came here.

Say it ain't so, say SR haven't taken to pop-up ads.

Puh-lease say it ain't true.
Thu 27/09/01 at 17:28
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I've actually seen it twice but I don't care.
Thu 27/09/01 at 17:27
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Every single person should only ever see it once. Hardly invasive, is it?
Thu 27/09/01 at 17:25
"High polygon count"
Loki said it's a one-off, and after this response, he's probably more right than he realised!
Thu 27/09/01 at 17:23
Regular
i bet you didnt expect this kind of reaction to a tiny pop-up.
Thu 27/09/01 at 17:22
"High polygon count"
Well said, Goaty.

I wasn't moaning at SR - just stating my dislike of popups in general. But you did it much better.
Thu 27/09/01 at 17:16
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I wont rant, because SR are decent people.
I will attempt to state my loathing about pop-ups, and then I will say no more on the subject:

Pop-ups are one of the most invasive forms of advertising.
Much like Vodaphone who sent text-messages to your phone, they are unwarranted and unwelcome.
I come to a web-site because I am interested in the content of that site.
Not on the off-chance I may money laying about and think "Ooh lovely, that little window has made me realise that I actually do want to spend £x on that product".

Pop-ups get closed fast and ignored. And some people get so fed up with them that they decide to abandon the sites altogether. Aint-it-cool has pop-ups now, and their traffic has dropped by 30% in 2 months.

It irritates people, we dont ask for monitors to be shangied for corporate profit.
Advertising is a necessity, I understand that (being in marketing myself), but I also understand that invasive and unprompted adverising loses potential consumers.

It's the same as all those bits of crap in magazines that you shake out onto the floor of the shop.
We come to here either
Chat
Purchase anyway
Check reviews etc

If someone comes here looking to buy a PS2, then they're either aware of the price-drop already, or didnt care and when they do order, will be pleasently surprised to find it cheaper.

Throwing these little promotions onto a monitor when you simply come to a site is the reason that the net is becoming more and more like any other medium.
Stale, uninteresting and designed solely for profit.
But the net is the domain of the unsociable and anti-corporate, the exact people that despise that sort of pushy selling.

Ad revenue is needed, but so are customers. You wouldn't run up to someone as soon as they came into your store and stuff leaflets into their pockets, so why open windows on my monitor without my consent, approval or even complicit participation?
Thu 27/09/01 at 17:10
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
Mystique wrote:
> urgh some people are so unapreciative the good people at spez rez are trying to
> tell you about a huge(why didnt i wait) price drop and you all go mental about a
> little(very nice) pop-up...they give away free games and DVDs and all you lot
> can do is complain
shame on you shame on you all.....

too much?

Spot on (apart from the mental bit obviously. I'm not calling you all mental, she did that. I'm not saying anything...)
Thu 27/09/01 at 17:09
Regular
Click a button?

Gah! What do you take us for!
"High polygon count"
loki wrote:
> What have you got a thing about market traders now? Jeez, angry much?

Just an example.

Besides, the popup can't be working too well... I've yet to see it.
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I don't care about pop ups. They exist and we have to live with them. If they interest me, I look. This one did.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.