GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"FREEOLA - formmail script changes!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 13/03/07 at 19:42
Regular
On your status page you have just added:

"Resolving PHP/CGI email issues on the server.: We are in the process of correcting a minor misconfiguration on the web servers which allowed mail to be sent without correctly specifying who the mail was sent from. If you are currently making use of a Formmail script or PHP email, please make sure that any emails your script tries to send are configured to be sent as coming from a Freeola Hosted email address."

Can Freeola say if this means you now MUST use the 'from' field in your forms?

The Freeola help pages say:

"From:You can also set the from field; this will be reflected in the "From:" field in your mail client, i.e. the sender of the email. So if you have more than one form you can easily see which is which.
"

I don't use this field - but if it is now to become mandatory then can you say how much notice you are giving before the changes take affect?

The formmail issues have been going on for quite a while so I hope if this field is now mandatory you don't suddenly introduce it without proper notice!

Thanks in advance from a slightly worried user!
Fri 16/03/07 at 15:51
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
Speaking to our Systems team I have certainly been given no reason to suspect that the server is underpowered or unsuitable for its purpose. It is thought to be solely an issue of large-scale abuse by unauthorised users.

However, if this does not correct the problem and there is any suspicion the hardware may be unsuitable for the service on an ongoing basis, then I will definitely push for any necessary upgrades.
Fri 16/03/07 at 15:30
Regular
As this is likely to be an on-going battle it could be worth upgrading the server where this service is running.

A few hundred pounds of RAM and processor could save a lot of effort in the long run!

I've wasted a few days on this already :-| No doubt Freeola have as well?
Fri 16/03/07 at 15:21
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
GWD wrote:
> Thanks for the update loki.
>
> I'm wondering how many 'test' form submissions will have
> occurred since you issued the 'Service Bulletin' ?!
>
> I'm sure there will have been quite a number, which will only
> put more load on the system.

Absolutely. It's a horrible, unavoidable, irony that this attempt to lesson the load will have led to a flood of extra messages :(

Our hope is that the tons of test messages generated will be dwarfed by the amount of spam attempts that we're now blocking. Hopefully, I'll be able to be more positive come Monday!
Fri 16/03/07 at 15:07
Regular
Thanks for the update loki.

I'm wondering how many 'test' form submissions will have occurred since you issued the 'Service Bulletin' ?!

I'm sure there will have been quite a number, which will only put more load on the system.
Fri 16/03/07 at 14:46
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
Unfortunately we are not yet able to fully assess whether this latest security measure has resolved the problem.

The reason for the lengthy delays seems to have been messages queuing on the server. That means there has been a growing backlog, lasting up to a few days.

Therefore, even if this last change has been successful, we the server still has to clear the backlog of unauthorised mail before we can see if the service has returned to an acceptable speed.

We believe that the problem has been caused by abuse of the service by spammers and that a combination of the measures we are taking will reduce the server's current overload. I am sorry that the effects of this change may not be seen today.
Fri 16/03/07 at 10:04
Regular
Just received MANY MANY Service messages this morning along with more complaints about FORMS NOT working! how do OTHER ISPS get this function to work? come on Freeola you keep saying that you are working at speed to resolve this issue but its taking for ever! its so frustrating!!

Kev
Fri 16/03/07 at 09:19
Regular
Is anyone having any success with their formmail yet?

While testing my CGI/perl script the responses stopped yesterday morning and nothing has come in over night.

For anyone interested, at the moment I'm trying BFormmail from www.infosheet.com/iScripts.html which allows you to capture the email in CSV format in a flat file so you don't have to wait for the message.

I've amended many forms that use the Freeola script to cater for recent changes but haven't received a reply from these either???

NB. I received lots of Service Bulletins this morning - and so did my clients.
Thu 15/03/07 at 10:39
Regular
Digitrader wrote:
> Hi GWD...

I've got a *headache* :(
Thu 15/03/07 at 10:33
Regular
Hi GWD
Have you checked your SPAM filter? :-) its really amazing that as you say this has been an issue since August 2006! and still ongoing... if you had taken your car and the garage and they took that long to resolve an issue the mechanic would be for the chop! and they would have found a replacement car for you. I am sure that Freeola are working on this issue but Lokis idea of "as fast as we can " and mine must be slightly differant. Is there an alternative method that we could use and if this form is causing so much problems for them why do Freeola not offer a new code like the one you mention.

Kev
Thu 15/03/07 at 10:26
Regular
As I mentioned using 'sendmail' with a perl script seems to work fine. Is the problem only with the Freeola php script and other php methods?

I also didn't receive the 'service bulletin' - but it seems some of my clients did.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.